Gpa Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitecatBlackcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore who's considering MD/DO or possibly PA. My gpa isn't the greatest right now (<3.0 without the grades for this semester) but I am currently working on bringing that up. Mainly what I am unsure about is when to start planning around my gpa. I've already considered gap years and post bac programs but is it still too early to tell? I keep seeing a lot of mixed answers on this. Some people are saying that it is normal to have a bad start in college and improve over time. So if I were to keep improving over the next 2 years would my gpa be good enough for medical or PA school? Or should I already plan on repairing my grades after graduation? I can update later on all of my grades when the ones for this semester are released. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Finishing up sophomore year with a <3.0 gpa? You should start planning immediately to get A's from here on out, because that is par for the course when it comes to landing a seat in a medical or PA school. The classes you will take during your junior and senior year will be more difficult, and your grades indicate you might not have laid down a solid foundation to do well in those courses. From here, ideally you will want to have the ability to pull A's from here on out, not to simply start your improvement trend.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently a sophomore who's considering MD/DO or possibly PA. My gpa isn't the greatest right now (<3.0 without the grades for this semester) but I am currently working on bringing that up. Mainly what I am unsure about is when to start planning around my gpa. I've already considered gap years and post bac programs but is it still too early to tell? I keep seeing a lot of mixed answers on this. Some people are saying that it is normal to have a bad start in college and improve over time. So if I were to keep improving over the next 2 years would my gpa be good enough for medical or PA school? Or should I already plan on repairing my grades after graduation? I can update later on all of my grades when the ones for this semester are released. Thanks!

Well first you have to make sure you have competitive GPA. Take it one step at a time. Plan your studies well. Focus on what you need to do from here and onward.