GPA good, only part time student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReadToSucceed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am planning to apply for Optometry school, one of the biggest blemish on my application is that i've only been a full time student 1 year out of the multiple years i've been in school. My GPA is pretty solid, but i'm worried that schools will underlook me, how concerned should I be, if anyone has any similar stories, that would be great

Members don't see this ad.

They might bring up how the first year of optometry school is at least over 20 hours. I had an interviewer question me by saying the max I took is 15hrs... but I took 17 one semester...

They might bring up how the first year of optometry school is at least over 20 hours. I had an interviewer question me by saying the max I took is 15hrs... but I took 17 one semester...
The most i've ever taken at one time is 14, with 11/12 being the average, some semesters being 8/9, others being 11-14, would this really hurt my application? Or would it not really matter, but I should expect questions about why I did it that way considering I get an interview

I wouldn't let it bother you, but depending on where you get interviewed you may get asked about it.

I think what will be important will be to show that you will be able to dedicate yourself fully to studying optometry. If you were working part-time while attending school part-time, this may be easier to explain. Ask the schools directly. Some of them allow you to send in supplementary information regarding any topic you weren't able to talk about in your application, such as why you were only full-time for one year.