Got accepted, but having second thoughts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttercream90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 27 and and have been applying to various DO programs for the last three years. I finally got into NYIT at Arkansas State, but I'm having serious doubts about whether I want to go to med school at all anymore. During college I began to believe that I had more interest in basic science than medicine. I've been working in a lab the past two years and enjoy that more than any time I've spent in a hosptial, working or shadowing. I've listed out all the reasons I wanted to be a physician in the first place, and none of them have much validity anymore. Also, I very much don't want to spend 9 years of of my life becoming 400k in debt only to find I hate my job. I've shadowed seven doctors, (FP, neuro, and opthomology) and only 3 of them seemed remotley happy. I have no pressue from anyone to go, it is all on me. I cant tell if I just have cold feet, or if I really should step away. Any advice would be appriciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't sound like you have cold feet. It sounds like you genuinely don't want to become a physician.

Reactions: 17 users
Sounds like you should continue working in a lab. There are many people so dead set on being a physician that they don't look around to realize they don't like the path they're going down. I wouldn't go if I would be happy doing anything else.

What kind of lab? If you're still interested in medicine you could become medical lab scientist.

Maybe continue on with a PhD

Edit: PS medicine is often glamorizedbu the premed community so seeing that you don't like the day to day while shadowing (which isn't even the most boring stuff) shows you that you should continue staying on with your lab.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I very much don't want to spend 9 years of of my life becoming 400k in debt only to find I hate my job.
If it's not a risk worth taking to you, well then it kinda answers your own question.

Medicine is work. can't sugar coat that and I think you've gotten that impression from the shadowing you've done. It's not exactly what I pictured it would be as a premed. but most days, it's still the job i would rather do every day for the foreseeable future.

On the flip side, 2 years in a lab doing basic research would be misery for me. even 2 hours. I would much rather do something else. Just saying everyone's built a bit differently.

apart from patient care or the day to day activities of it..
I enjoy clinical medicine, or human biology (pathologies and physiologies etc.). I don't think I ever enjoyed studying anything else to a similar degree. I also like being around other people with this common interest. We're all massive nerds when it comes to interesting cases. "like ooh did you see that or hear about that'. Those are the things that probably kept me going for so long.

If you can derive enjoyment in something you've put two years into (like all the other commenters above) I don't see why you should let that go.

Out of curiosity, why did you want to be a physician to begin with?
(don't share if it's too personal)

edited for clarity/grammar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The advice I was always told is: "If you can see yourself doing something other than medicine, dont do medicine"

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like you should continue working in a lab. There are many people so dead set on being a physician that they don't look around to realize they don't like the path they're going down. I wouldn't go if I would be happy doing anything else.

What kind of lab? If you're still interested in medicine you could become medical lab scientist.

Maybe continue on with a PhD

Edit: PS medicine is often glamorizedbu the premed community so seeing that you don't like the day to day while shadowing (which isn't even the most boring stuff) shows you that you should continue staying on with your lab.

I'm currently working in an animal vaccine lab. While I don't like the the specific work I am doing because of the group I'm in (vaccine quality control testing on chick embryos)I do enjoy the atmosphere and over all feel of lab work. I loved genetics and molecular biology in college, and could see myself being happy working with those topics, wether in the medical field or otherwise.

If it's not a risk worth taking to you, well then it kinda answers your own question.

Medicine is work. can't sugar coat that and I think you've gotten that impression from the shadowing you've done. It's not exactly what I pictured it would be as a premed. but most days, it's still the job i would rather do every day for the foreseeable future.

On the flip side, 2 years in a lab doing basic research would be misery for me. even 2 hours. I would much rather do something else. Just saying everyone's built a bit differently.

apart from patient care or the day to day activities of it..
I enjoy clinical medicine, or human biology (pathologies and physiologies etc.). I don't think I ever enjoyed studying anything else to a similar degree. I also like being around other people with this common interest. We're all massive nerds when it comes to interesting cases. "like ooh did you see that or hear about that'. Those are the things that probably kept me going for so long.

If you can derive enjoyment in something you've put two years into (like all the other commenters above) I don't see why you should let that go.

Out of curiosity, why did you want to be a physician to begin with?
(don't share if it's too personal)

edited for clarity/grammar.

That is a honestly ine of tge questions I've been stuggling with. There were many at first. Validating my worth/intellegence/capablity. The high chance of financial gain. A sense of importance and credibility. These, among other reasons were things that I thought that being a physcian would fill when I was a teen and college student. I've matured quite a bit since then and see that those reasons are simply not valid. I no longer feel I neee to prove my worth, I don't think a job can really do that anyways. There is a possible pay off, but that would be a long ways down the road, and only if I dont end up hating the job; which would make all the pay less significant. And the title is just a title.

To make things worse, I am very stubborn. I've been rejected four times. The battle became about getting accepted. I think I honeslty forgot what being a doctor would actually entail. I think I also moved on about a year and a half ago. This years application was a last ditch effort. I was ready to get my yearly rejection and move on to other things. But now that I have this offer I don't know what to do, and this tiny part of me that wants to attend may just be a kernal of obligation coupled with my inablility to feel as though I've given up. Even though I may have simply changed my mind. Which there is no shame it.

That is a honestly one of the questions I've been stuggling with. There were many at first. Validating my worth/intellegence/capablity. The high chance of financial gain. A sense of importance and credibility. These, among other reasons were things that I thought that being a physcian would fill when I was a teen and college student. I've matured quite a bit since then and see that those reasons are simply not valid. I no longer feel I neee to prove my worth, I don't think a job can really do that anyways. There is a possible pay off, but that would be a long ways down the road, and only if I dont end up hating the job; which would make all the pay less significant. And the title is just a title.

To make things worse, I am very stubborn. I've been rejected four times. The battle became about getting accepted. I think I honeslty forgot what being a doctor would actually entail. I think I also moved on about a year and a half ago. This years application was a last ditch effort. I was ready to get my yearly rejection and move on to other things. But now that I have this offer I don't know what to do, and this tiny part of me that wants to attend may just be a kernal of obligation coupled with my inablility to feel as though I've given up. Even though I may have simply changed my mind. Which there is no shame in.

That is a honestly ine of tge questions I've been stuggling with. There were many at first. Validating my worth/intellegence/capablity. The high chance of financial gain. A sense of importance and credibility. These, among other reasons were things that I thought that being a physcian would fill when I was a teen and college student. I've matured quite a bit since then and see that those reasons are simply not valid. I no longer feel I neee to prove my worth, I don't think a job can really do that anyways. There is a possible pay off, but that would be a long ways down the road, and only if I dont end up hating the job; which would make all the pay less significant. And the title is just a title.

To make things worse, I am very stubborn. I've been rejected four times. The battle became about getting accepted. I think I honeslty forgot what being a doctor would actually entail. I think I also moved on about a year and a half ago. This years application was a last ditch effort. I was ready to get my yearly rejection and move on to other things. But now that I have this offer I don't know what to do, and this tiny part of me that wants to attend may just be a kernal of obligation coupled with my inablility to feel as though I've given up. Even though I may have simply changed my mind. Which there is no shame it.

I think you have your answer. It's pretty obvious from this post that your heart isn't set on medicine. It is also evident that you are posting here so we can validate your "doubts" and I think we all can do that easily for you.

To play devil's advocate though, I was in a similar position where I wasn't sure about medicine and thought I would be better off doing more introverted work such as research and biostatistics (since I'm more of the quiet shy type and enjoyed math just as much as bio/physio). 4 years into this journey through medicine, I realize that I was right and that a career in epidemiology or biostatistics might have better suited my personality. However, despite all of this, medicine has been very good to me and has made me grow in innumerable ways. Even if medicine wasn't the best choice, it was still a pretty damn good choice. So wouldn't really fret about the "wrong" choice persay. The stubbornness you showed to make it into medical school is what it takes to make it through the process.

Regardless, it's pretty obvious to me that research is the better path for you. No shame in realizing that you aren't meant for medicine. You'll probably thank yourself several years down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Noting that the below bolded statements were your intention for entering medicine- you should definitely not go to medical school. You will not be happy with your choice if you do and you should give your spot to someone who actually wants it for the right reasons. There are many other career choices that can satisfy the below statements without the long and arduous commitments of medicine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have no wisdom to offer, but after a year of school, I had some worries about what I was doing. But I went back and shadowed for the first time in 2 years and was immediately re-energized. If I were giving out advice, I would say that if what you saw shadowing didn't seem interesting and taking into account your reasons in the first place...don't go into medicine.

On the other hand, there is still a lot of opportunity to work in labs as a physician if you tailor your education/career for it. That may be the best of both worlds.

You can see patients and also conduct research with a MD/DO

You can only conduct research with a PhD

I was told by an infectious disease doc I worked with who does research that it's easier for an average physician to make a good living in research than the average PhD. Not sure how true is that because it seems counterintuitive.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you answered your question, OP. It's not a bad thing to change your mind before medical school. Congrats on getting into medical school because that's no easy feat, but also admitting that you might not be happy as a doctor is an even bigger one. Do something you love, you'll be much happier both personally and financially. :)

It sounds like you answered your own question - don't go.

Or see if you can defer and take a year to think about it.

Do what makes you happy.

You can see patients and also conduct research with a MD/DO

You can only conduct research with a PhD

I was told by an infectious disease doc I worked with who does research that it's easier for an average physician to make a good living in research than the average PhD. Not sure how true is that because it seems counterintuitive.

Strangely its because physician can get more grant money for almost the same research as a PhD. Not sure of why that is true though.

well, as someone else's said above.
You'll always have bragging rights to saying you got accepted to medical school, and decided not to go.
And that's okay too.

As a couple of commenters have stated.
if you can't let go and decide to attend anyway, there's the chance that you won't hate it.
And there's always the possibility of being a medical scientist instead. Research can still very much be part of medicine.

Have a look at the threads by ex-med students, like this one: Listen to the naysayers or why I left medical school. The ones who tried medical school, then decided it wasn't for them and were happier returning to whatever career they formerly had, knowing they had tried. If this ends up being you, this too, will be okay. So this could be one worst case scenario. Yes there'd be debts, but probably less if you were to figure it out sooner and drop out.

The other worst case is that you go down the medical path and increasingly feel trapped by it because of the effort, the time and the money that went into getting that far. And you're never sure if you're going to get the 'ah-ha' this is it moment. It's hard to know if it's worth it sometimes. For some, it may not be until they start seeing patients in 3rd or 4th year, or until they get more responsibility as a resident after all 4 years. I think this scenario is the one you fear, and what I worried about feeling too. Feeling trapped by a career you hate. But as I'd said before, I loved the study of medicine (some days less than others, but overall I do/did) at the very core of it. I had many reasons of my own for doing med, but that ultimately was the thing that separated it out from other careers I could have tried (or did try). that's been my 'protective' thing, that keeps me from hating this career.

The reasons you've listed for going into medicine are valid - I think anyway.
But I'd agree that they're not enough to go into medicine for the reason you listed before. 9 years and all the debts.
There probably should be something stronger that pulls you in and keeps you there.

to list some of the risks you'd face in the 9 years (or reasons that could cause you 'hate' a life in medicine) - If you hadn't picked this up while shadowing clinicians:
- Clinical medicine (not lab or research) carries the potential of being very exhausting, not just in the hours, but the time and energy you give away to patients and their families. Not all of them are going to be nice to you either, which throws out the window the 'glam title' of 'dr'. But you have to be professional or 'nice' to them. when you're a student or resident, you're also within a hierarchy. You're a junior member of the team and even the nurses have more seniority than you do. there's the politics to it sometimes, that you might get less of in the lab. (this is an extreme case, but it does occasionally happen - Why do we tolerate terrible nursing?, just to illustrate some of the work politics in medicine) to quote house of god, “It's an incredible paradox that being a doctor is so degrading and yet is so valued by society”. I still however, get a lot of satisfaction from the connections I make with my patients (even fleetingly) and co-workers (the ones I get along with anyway). the bonds go deeper because of the intensity or nature of things we go through on the job. It's a very intense thing sometimes, you live on the extremes in the hospital - everyone is sick or dying.

- It's also not easy on lifestyle, at least not while you're in school or residency. it's cliche the saying, but it's kinda true to an extent. 'When you're a doctor, your life is not your own anymore. Your patients come first. That's if you go down the clinical path, although there are lifestyle friendlier fields, after training. If I'm away from family, there has to be a good reason why, it has to be worth it. even then, it's hard. But it does make me..value time with family more. it's more precious to me.

- It's also long process becoming a fully qualified doctor, and anything could happen each step of the way. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not balancing on a knife's edge. It was never any guarantee i would pass my all exams in med school or rotations, or even now, it's never any guarantee that I would get through residency. there's a lot of things that go into it. One big mistake one day could change my career or take it away. On the other hand, I like living with that feeling, the very slight danger to it. It's hard to describe. You have to be comfortable with this.

Anyway.
Lab work and research in basic science, society as a whole probably doesn't give it enough credit.
It's much less sexy for a show for starters. but it's also hard, it also requires intelligence, hard work, dedication and commitment. Like medicine you have to love it and be a little crazy. Anecdotally - based on what my PhD pals have said. And they say the same things to the students they mentor, don't do it unless you can't imagine doing anything else. I can't imagine doing what they do, churning out encyclopedia sized theses, having experiments fail, spending months troubleshooting until they get any results or data. Keeping up to date with what other labs are doing and all the latest journals. the hundreds to thousands of them. But they love it. If only to get that moment of getting to the answer they're looking for. They've become these amazing people because of it. For me, I think being a basic science researcher is much harder than being a doctor haha. That's probably partly why i chose the path I did. So if it comes more naturally to you, working in a lab, then I think it's worth celebrating that. Generally if you enjoy something, you become good at it. At least better than the average person who's just there for a paycheque.

I forgot to ask, what have the people in the lab told you? what does your lab supervisor think about your work and future down the research path?

TL;DR - every job/career has it's boring/gruelling sides to it. so you pick the one you can still bear to be around. if only for the simple reason of really, really liking it. that you'd do it for all the cons it has. doing basic research is also highly valuable and arguably, respected. as you've implied, you don't have to be a doctor to feel validated by your career.

Reactions: 2 users
well, as someone else's said above.
You'll always have bragging rights to saying you got accepted to medical school, and decided not to go.
And that's okay too.

As a couple of commenters have stated.
if you can't let go and decide to attend anyway, there's the chance that you won't hate it.
And there's always the possibility of being a medical scientist instead. Research can still very much be part of medicine.

Have a look at the threads by ex-med students, like this one: Listen to the naysayers or why I left medical school. The ones who tried medical school, then decided it wasn't for them and were happier returning to whatever career they formerly had, knowing they had tried. If this ends up being you, this too, will be okay. So this could be one worst case scenario. Yes there'd be debts, but probably less if you were to figure it out sooner and drop out.

The other worst case is that you go down the medical path and increasingly feel trapped by it because of the effort, the time and the money that went into getting that far. And you're never sure if you're going to get the 'ah-ha' this is it moment. It's hard to know if it's worth it sometimes. For some, it may not be until they start seeing patients in 3rd or 4th year, or until they get more responsibility as a resident after all 4 years. I think this scenario is the one you fear, and what I worried about feeling too. Feeling trapped by a career you hate. But as I'd said before, I loved the study of medicine (some days less than others, but overall I do/did) at the very core of it. I had many reasons of my own for doing med, but that ultimately was the thing that separated it out from other careers I could have tried (or did try). that's been my 'protective' thing, that keeps me from hating this career.

The reasons you've listed for going into medicine are valid - I think anyway.
But I'd agree that they're not enough to go into medicine for the reason you listed before. 9 years and all the debts.
There probably should be something stronger that pulls you in and keeps you there.

to list some of the risks you'd face in the 9 years (or reasons that could cause you 'hate' a life in medicine) - If you hadn't picked this up while shadowing clinicians:
- Clinical medicine (not lab or research) carries the potential of being very exhausting, not just in the hours, but the time and energy you give away to patients and their families. Not all of them are going to be nice to you either, which throws out the window the 'glam title' of 'dr'. But you have to be professional or 'nice' to them. when you're a student or resident, you're also within a hierarchy. You're a junior member of the team and even the nurses have more seniority than you do. there's the politics to it sometimes, that you might get less of in the lab. (this is an extreme case, but it does occasionally happen - Why do we tolerate terrible nursing?, just to illustrate some of the work politics in medicine) to quote house of god, “It's an incredible paradox that being a doctor is so degrading and yet is so valued by society”. I still however, get a lot of satisfaction from the connections I make with my patients (even fleetingly) and co-workers (the ones I get along with anyway). the bonds go deeper because of the intensity or nature of things we go through on the job. It's a very intense thing sometimes, you live on the extremes in the hospital - everyone is sick or dying.

- It's also not easy on lifestyle, at least not while you're in school or residency. it's cliche the saying, but it's kinda true to an extent. 'When you're a doctor, your life is not your own anymore. Your patients come first. That's if you go down the clinical path, although there are lifestyle friendlier fields, after training. If I'm away from family, there has to be a good reason why, it has to be worth it. even then, it's hard. But it does make me..value time with family more. it's more precious to me.

- It's also long process becoming a fully qualified doctor, and anything could happen each step of the way. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not balancing on a knife's edge. It was never any guarantee i would pass my all exams in med school or rotations, or even now, it's never any guarantee that I would get through residency. there's a lot of things that go into it. One big mistake one day could change my career or take it away. On the other hand, I like living with that feeling, the very slight danger to it. It's hard to describe. You have to be comfortable with this.

Anyway.
Lab work and research in basic science, society as a whole probably doesn't give it enough credit.
It's much less sexy for a show for starters. but it's also hard, it also requires intelligence, hard work, dedication and commitment. Like medicine you have to love it and be a little crazy. Anecdotally - based on what my PhD pals have said. And they say the same things to the students they mentor, don't do it unless you can't imagine doing anything else. I can't imagine doing what they do, churning out encyclopedia sized theses, having experiments fail, spending months troubleshooting until they get any results or data. Keeping up to date with what other labs are doing and all the latest journals. the hundreds to thousands of them. But they love it. If only to get that moment of getting to the answer they're looking for. They've become these amazing people because of it. For me, I think being a basic science researcher is much harder than being a doctor haha. That's probably partly why i chose the path I did. So if it comes more naturally to you, working in a lab, then I think it's worth celebrating that. Generally if you enjoy something, you become good at it. At least better than the average person who's just there for a paycheque.

I forgot to ask, what have the people in the lab told you? what does your lab supervisor think about your work and future down the research path?

TL;DR - every job/career has it's boring/gruelling sides to it. so you pick the one you can still bear to be around. if only for the simple reason of really, really liking it. that you'd do it for all the cons it has. doing basic research is also highly valuable and arguably, respected. as you've implied, you don't have to be a doctor to feel validated by your career.

Thank you for your thoughtfull response. My job is in industry, and as the company is, I don't do reseach myself, but interact regularly with those that do. To do the lab work I want, I would need to find a new position, and more than likley aim for a masters or PhD. My supervisors have a lot of faith in me, even going up to the director of the QC department. I do good work, and am dedicated to finding answers when questions do arise. I have to do trouble shooting on our testing sometimes, and I find that very enjoyable.

I think that answers your question.

Medicine is a really long path. I know that's obvious but when you're a pre-med it's like...hey 7-10 years is nothing! But even the first year into medical school you realize how much freedom and life you are giving up. Certainly sleep on it some more and decide based on your own needs, but if I would be truly happy with another career path, I wouldn't be in med school.

Best of luck!

This isn't cold feet - this is you realizing that you don't want to go into medicine after all. If you're happy with working in the lab, why leave? I suggest you focus on your current career.

Thank you for your thoughtfull response. My job is in industry, and as the company is, I don't do reseach myself, but interact regularly with those that do. To do the lab work I want, I would need to find a new position, and more than likley aim for a masters or PhD. My supervisors have a lot of faith in me, even going up to the director of the QC department. I do good work, and am dedicated to finding answers when questions do arise. I have to do trouble shooting on our testing sometimes, and I find that very enjoyable.

I think that answers your question.

Dang, lol, just a PhD or masters.
If you do both that's like a decade. Masters is 2-3 years I believe, and Phd - Minimum 5.
(I'm guessing you're going to pick either one or the other). Anecdotally anyway - my friends are still writing up their theses or tweaking experiments now 6-7 years later after starting a PhD, with post-docs to follow.

Lol, you really have it out for yourself - as in wanting either medicine or academia. They're both super demanding, challenging careers with lengthy training. in their own, different ways of course. Neither are 'easy'. I can't comment further on academia.

It sounds like currently you have your heart set on basic research and you're excelling it at clearly if you're valuable to your superiors. If academia fails, at least you know you'd thrive in industry. But you sound excited by academia. Lol, whereas you don't sound excited by medicine.

Good luck :)

Hi all,
I am 27 and and have been applying to various DO programs for the last three years. I finally got into NYIT at Arkansas State, but I'm having serious doubts about whether I want to go to med school at all anymore. During college I began to believe that I had more interest in basic science than medicine. I've been working in a lab the past two years and enjoy that more than any time I've spent in a hosptial, working or shadowing. I've listed out all the reasons I wanted to be a physician in the first place, and none of them have much validity anymore. Also, I very much don't want to spend 9 years of of my life becoming 400k in debt only to find I hate my job. I've shadowed seven doctors, (FP, neuro, and opthomology) and only 3 of them seemed remotley happy. I have no pressue from anyone to go, it is all on me. I cant tell if I just have cold feet, or if I really should step away. Any advice would be appriciated.

I understand the uncertainty. However, graduating from medical school will open up research doors (even if the school you attend is not research oriented). The clinical background that you will learn will broaden your knowledge base and help you to engage in research. I would go to medical school, try to do a few elective research rotations, if allowed, and aim for a residency program at the NIH or similar institution. The DO degree will open up doors for you that a PhD by itself might not. Go for it!

Hi all,

Obviously don't go.

I understand the uncertainty. However, graduating from medical school will open up research doors (even if the school you attend is not research oriented). The clinical background that you will learn will broaden your knowledge base and help you to engage in research. I would go to medical school, try to do a few elective research rotations, if allowed, and aim for a residency program at the NIH or similar institution. The DO degree will open up doors for you that a PhD by itself might not. Go for it!

I don't exactly agree with this advice. Yes, getting a professional degree of any kind can open up opportunities, but you're busting your butt when you're in med school, and in OP's eyes if he were to go to med school he'd be spending years learning and doing things that he is not interested in, including learning how to walk and talk like a physician. All for what, just for the sake of doing research in the end where he won't be using at least half the skills and experiences he's acquired?

With the amount of effort he'd be spending in med school, if he spent that same amount of effort outside of med school doing things more relevant to his path of interest, he'll still be able to open up doors anyway, possibly even more than what med school would have offered him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't exactly agree with this advice. Yes, getting a professional degree of any kind can open up opportunities, but you're busting your butt when you're in med school, and in OP's eyes if he were to go to med school he'd be spending years learning and doing things that he is not interested in, including learning how to walk and talk like a physician. All for what, just for the sake of doing research in the end where he won't be using at least half the skills and experiences he's acquired?

With the amount of effort he'd be spending in med school, if he spent that same amount of effort outside of med school doing things more relevant to his path of interest, he'll still be able to open up doors anyway.

Agreed. I have several friends with PhDs and I'm not sure if it's a harder or easier process than medical school, just a different one. If it's a better fit, it's a better fit. Nothing wrong with that.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Has anyone had experience of someone going into this who already has anxiety/depression/sleep issues and the fatigue brought on by those things? I understand the mentality of working through said problems, but from what I've seen med can tear down generally "normal" people and cause serious mental health issues.

Has anyone had experience of someone going into this who already has anxiety/depression/sleep issues and the fatigue brought on by those things? I understand the mentality of working through said problems, but from what I've seen med can tear down generally "normal" people and cause serious mental health issues.

this could be a separate thread that you could make.

If you use the search function you'll find a lot of threads related to depression/anxiety and managing it during medical school. there's no easy answer to this. Just make sure you have the appropriate supports - good friends to talk to, mentors etc. Seek professional help when you can. Know where counselling services are and access it when you need it. it's no different to seeing a professional when you get physically sick. It also means recognizing when you're in trouble early, and making time to address it before it mushrooms.

Again, it's no different to knowing if you have anaphylaxis and ensuring you get a new epipen every year or so, or whenever it expires. Or if you have asthma, then you'd need to ensure you have your scripts up to date for any inhalers. You make time for these things. You're no good to anyone if it becomes so acute it takes you out for a few days to weeks. Versus, early on, taking a couple of hours or an afternoon to see the appropriate health care professional.

Apart from that, try to cultivate hobbies, and interests outside of work too. Something to get your mind off work when you need to.

For sleep and fatigue.
Well, there's threads on circadian clocks too. It's less of an issue in the preclinical years, where you can set your own study schedule around times you're most effective and times you can actually sleep well. trickier on rotations or during residency, however, the hours that you're on the wards, can be demanding. but by the time you get to sleep, you will crash and you'll get sleep. For staying awake, there's caffeine (and the adrenaline pumping through your system). If something seems really abnormal or it's not working, then it's time to see a family doctor.

Last edited:
There is no way to know right now that you will not be happy in medicine. The difference between an OB GYN and Neurologist is as far apart as a plumber and car mechanic. I don't believe you can rule out medicine by following a few doctors. I don't agree with the chorus of people who tell you not to go. I don't even thing there is enough information and experience to for you to do a proper soul searching.

I did not find satisfaction in medicine and going through medical school until I found my specialty. While that is not to say you will find a specialty that will make you happy, it certainly doesn't mean that the entire field of medicine is not right for you.

And yes, financial stability is great. It beats owning Chick-fila franchise.

While I understand where others chiming in are coming from regarding not being happy with medicine until you find your niche, I don't think you can justify going to medical school and obtaining that degree of debt if you're happy with your current career.

Medicine takes a lot of dedication, time, effort, etc. and I'm afraid you will not succeed in medical school if you're not 100% in it. Sure, other people probably had doubts, went anyway, and did fine. However, this should not be the mindset to individuals entering school. Just because you got in, doesn't mean you should go. If you are passionate about medicine and WANT to be a doctor, THEN you should go, but you shouldn't be going with such strong doubts just because you were accepted.

There is no way to know right now that you will not be happy in medicine. The difference between an OB GYN and Neurologist is as far apart as a plumber and car mechanic. I don't believe you can rule out medicine by following a few doctors. I don't agree with the chorus of people who tell you not to go. I don't even thing there is enough information and experience to for you to do a proper soul searching.

I did not find satisfaction in medicine and going through medical school until I found my specialty. While that is not to say you will find a specialty that will make you happy, it certainly doesn't mean that the entire field of medicine is not right for you.

And yes, financial stability is great. It beats owning Chick-fila franchise.

The thing is OP already found what makes him happy, and there's no guarantee that he'll find something better in med school. Your advice would make sense if OP was not entirely sure what he likes in addition to second guessing medicine, but as OP said, that's clearly not the case.

Maybe there is something better in med school, maybe not. If I already found what works for me, I'm not gonna go through four years of mental boot camp and anxiety inducing work on the off chance that a better calling might exist. Not to mention the amount of debt you have to pay off once you find out there's nothing in medicine that beats what you initially fell in love with.

On the side, i'm starting to wonder if OP's having second thoughts on having second thoughts.
tenor.gif

About that physician shortage...

On the side, i'm starting to wonder if OP's having second thoughts on having second thoughts.
tenor.gif

Not gonna lie, I'm ridding the struggle bus in both directions at this point. I like lab work, not what I'm doing at present, but I like the feel of it and know I would like the work if it pertained to something I were more interested in. I am very interested in plants, genetics, and molecular bio and keep up more with those things than I do medicine; partly because I thought I should enjoy other things I like until my med career starts and I don't have time anymore. I'm trying to tease out if I want it, or if I only want to want it. I may not know the answer to that until it's too late, in either direction. It's also confusing because identifying the same level of conviction that is claimed to be required to succeed is difficult.
I think I feel a bit lost too. I had planned on not getting accepted after rejection two or three, so I started seeing life and my future differently.

Awww.
How long before you have to make a decision on the offer?
it probably is now or never, if you reject it, most likely there won't be another chance. There are possibilities of doing research, as stated above. But more than likely, it'll all be related to medicine. You can do work relevant to molecular biology and genetics in med.

Which would you regret more?
Not going to medical school or not going into academia?

It's also confusing because identifying the same level of conviction that is claimed to be required to succeed is difficult.
the overwhelming response in here is that you have to really want it to some degree. Or love it. Not just want to love it. It's not something you can teach someone. It also speaks to how demanding and challenging both medical school and the career will be. It something that is essential to your resilience and ability to excel in a way.

for instance the hours will be long, that goes without saying. You'll be up in the mornings long before the rest of the world gets up, and going home long after the rest of the world leaves work. You'll have to start from the beginning with learning things. There's going to be mountain loads of information thrown at you in a very short period of time. After medical school, it turns into mountains of details you'll need to remember about the 10-20 or more patients you're responsible for.

If you wind up not feeling it, or even hating it later, it can be akin to torture. It can be a grind, no different to the repetitive stuff done in a lab. there has to be something about it you really enjoy or love in order to be able to keep going.

Not to mention, when you attend school. the majority of students you'll be with are there because they feel incredibly strongly about it. there was no other life for them. They form a very driven crowd.

Awww.
How long before you have to make a decision on the offer?
it probably is now or never, if you reject it, most likely there won't be another chance. There are possibilities of doing research, as stated above. But more than likely, it'll all be related to medicine. You can do work relevant to molecular biology and genetics in med.

Which would you regret more?
Not going to medical school or not going into academia?

the overwhelming response in here is that you have to really want it to some degree. Or love it. Not just want to love it. It's not something you can teach someone. It also speaks to how demanding and challenging both medical school and the career will be. It something that is essential to your resilience and ability to excel in a way.

for instance the hours will be long, that goes without saying. You'll be up in the mornings long before the rest of the world gets up, and going home long after the rest of the world leaves work. You'll have to start from the beginning with learning things. There's going to be mountain loads of information thrown at you in a very short period of time. After medical school, it turns into mountains of details you'll need to remember about the 10-20 or more patients you're responsible for.

If you wind up not feeling it, or even hating it later, it can be akin to torture. It can be a grind, no different to the repetitive stuff done in a lab. there has to be something about it you really enjoy or love in order to be able to keep going.

Not to mention, when you attend school. the majority of students you'll be with are there because they feel incredibly strongly about it. there was no other life for them. They form a very driven crowd.

I accepted already, but I want to back out I want to do it soon so someone else can have it. I'm not sure what I would regret more. I'm the type of person who has an enormous amount of persistance, but not a lot of drive, so I don't know how well I will fit in in medicine.

I accepted already, but I want to back out I want to do it soon so someone else can have it. I'm not sure what I would regret more. I'm the type of person who has an enormous amount of persistance, but not a lot of drive, so I don't know how well I will fit in in medicine.

*if I want to back out.

Not gonna lie, I'm ridding the struggle bus in both directions at this point. I like lab work, not what I'm doing at present, but I like the feel of it and know I would like the work if it pertained to something I were more interested in. (1) I am very interested in plants, genetics, and molecular bio and keep up more with those things than I do medicine; partly because I thought I should enjoy other things I like until my med career starts and I don't have time anymore. I'm trying to tease out if I want it, or if I only want to want it. I may not know the answer to that until it's too late, in either direction. It's also confusing because identifying the same level of conviction that is claimed to be required to succeed is difficult.
I think I feel a bit lost too. (2) I had planned on not getting accepted after rejection two or three, so I started seeing life and my future differently.

I can see you're really struggling with this decision.

1. (Just an anecdote from personal experience) One of my favorite things to do is read non-fiction, literally voluntarily for pleasure. My area of interest is fish and reefs and I keep up with that much more than I keep up with medicine (for the reasons you said,) I have a handful of websites I visit probably on a daily basis and lots and lots of books and a few saltwater tanks. So why don't I make being an aquarist at a public aquarium or ocean researcher a career? I just know I'd rather be a doctor a little more. I can read books and maintain my tanks at home, and scuba dive throughout the year on my own time. I actually did work as a staff aquarist for a while and I think work will always turn out to be just work, it kind of takes the magic out of it if you ask me.

2. (From what I learned in 6 credits of psych) You grieved the loss after you got umpteen rejections, and ended with acceptance. You moved on, your baseline is somewhere else. I can easily see why you'd be confused. I could write a lot more on this but I'll just condense it to the fact that a clear decision will take time, just like it did for you to grieve your perceived lost opportunity. Talking about it here will probably accelerate this, but take all points made with a grain of salt.

I can see you're really struggling with this decision.

1. (Just an anecdote from personal experience) One of my favorite things to do is read non-fiction, literally voluntarily for pleasure. My area of interest is fish and reefs and I keep up with that much more than I keep up with medicine (for the reasons you said,) I have a handful of websites I visit probably on a daily basis and lots and lots of books and a few saltwater tanks. So why don't I make being an aquarist at a public aquarium or ocean researcher a career? I just know I'd rather be a doctor a little more. I can read books and maintain my tanks at home, and scuba dive throughout the year on my own time. I actually did work as a staff aquarist for a while and I think work will always turn out to be just work, it kind of takes the magic out of it if you ask me.

2. (From what I learned in 6 credits of psych) You grieved the loss after you got umpteen rejections, and ended with acceptance. You moved on, your baseline is somewhere else. I can easily see why you'd be confused. I could write a lot more on this but I'll just condense it to the fact that a clear decision will take time, just like it did for you to grieve your perceived lost opportunity. Talking about it here will probably accelerate this, but take all points made with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your thoughts. Point 1 is comforting. I forget that you can still do things you love outside of medicine, and that it doesn't necessarily have to consume your life. I agree with point 2. I really feel that is what has happened to a degree. Even so, which path is best is still unclear.

Just an update for anyone who cares. I made my final decision not to go to medical school. It was probably the hardest choice I've had to make in my life, so far, and I spent an entire month in deliberation on it. I went back and looked through my journals from college. I forgot that I was already doubting and reconsidering as earily as 2013, the year I graduated college. I had just finished up my shadowing and working experiences in the field ang things still didn't feel right. Even before that, I could never come up with a satisfactory or central reason for why I thought I wanted it. I was very unhappy in college because of my anxiety, depression, and sleep issues, none of which the four years of treatment I received ever really helped.

I think I am very disappointed with myself. I worked very hard and long to get here. I'm a persistient person, and just letting things go is not easy for me. While there is a tiny part of me that wants one or some of the things that being a physician has to offer, the rest of me knows that it just isn't right for me in the long run. I think everyone who wants to be a physician wants to save the world. I guess if the only person I save is myself, then that is enough.

Reactions: 8 users
Just an update for anyone who cares. I made my final decision not to go to medical school. It was probably the hardest choice I've had to make in my life, so far, and I spent an entire month in deliberation on it. I went back and looked through my journals from college. I forgot that I was already doubting and reconsidering as earily as 2013, the year I graduated college. I had just finished up my shadowing and working experiences in the field ang things still didn't feel right. Even before that, I could never come up with a satisfactory or central reason for why I thought I wanted it. I was very unhappy in college because of my anxiety, depression, and sleep issues, none of which the four years of treatment I received ever really helped.

I think I am very disappointed with myself. I worked very hard and long to get here. I'm a persistient person, and just letting things go is not easy for me. While there is a tiny part of me that wants one or some of the things that being a physician has to offer, the rest of me knows that it just isn't right for me in the long run. I think everyone who wants to be a physician wants to save the world. I guess if the only person I save is myself, then that is enough.

Don't be disappointed OP. There's nothing wrong with not being a physician, and I'd say that there is something wrong with being one for the wrong reasons. It's important to have the type of insight into yourself that you demonstrated with this choice, and honestly, I think you'll be happier now that the decision is made.

You're not giving up, you're just realizing what it is that you want. Each one of us goes through it, and ultimately I think you'll be happier with your choice. Good luck with everything!

I think everyone who wants to be a physician wants to save the world. I guess if the only person I save is myself, then that is enough.

There's a lot of ways to "save the world." Medicine is just one of them. If it's not the one for you, that's okay. Congratulations on being true to yourself and making the right decision for you.

Reactions: 5 users

I wouldn't lose any sleep over your decision. To each their own.