Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, do SMP programs look at GPA after retakes or do they consider all grades (as AAMCAS usually does)?
At my school's SMP, we do do grade replacement, but we don't penalize wpeople with weak GPAs like we do for the med school, because, after all, the SMP is to have people prove that they can handle med school.

When I review a candidate's file, I look for rising trends, or at lease some GPA steadiness. I will penalize people with downward GPA trends.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Rule #1: Take a deep breath, and stop fussing. The sky is not falling, and you medical careers are not over.

I’m going to go out on a limb and make my advice as follows.

a) IF you have F/D grades in the pre-reqs, retake them. You need to show that you can master this material, and it will help you for MCAT (assuming that you haven’t taken the MCAT). If you got C's, take some upper level science classes and ace them. Never, ever retake a B.

If the material was from a long time ago, and you got a B, but you feel you need a refresher for the MCAT, simply audit the course instead.

b) You are now in the position of someone who is considering MD schools as well as DO. The DO path will be a little easier, but still require an investment of 1-2 years of not GPA repair, but of transcript repair.

c) The goal is NOT to raise your cGPA to a sky high level, but rather show that the you of now is not the you of then, and that you can handle a medical school curriculum.

d) Thus, take 1-2 years of a DIY post-bac, or a 1 year SMP, preferably one given at a medical school. Do well in either of these programs. A 3.5+ should suffice for a DO school, while 3.7+ will be needed for an MD school.

e) in addition to d), your MCAT score will determine where to aim. I suggest:

513+ MD schools

510+ your state MD school and any DO school

505+ any DO school

500+ the newest DO schools

On top of these, get as much patient contact volunteering time in as possible. A trend I am seeing from SDNers who have received interviews from good schools, and who also reinvented themselves, is that they have lots of clinical volunteering or employment...some even in the 1000s of hours.
I'm a NYC resident, and I'm confused about whole DIY Post Bacc and SMP. Are these the same as doing a masters in science? Do schools offer a specific Post Bacc? How do you get into an SMP? Do you do these programs before/after taking the MCAT? I feel so overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin.

I'm a NYC resident, and I'm confused about whole DIY Post Bacc and SMP. Are these the same as doing a masters in science? Do schools offer a specific Post Bacc? How do you get into an SMP? Do you do these programs before/after taking the MCAT? I feel so overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin.

DIY (Do It Yourself) post-bacc just means you enroll at any school to take more courses to raise your GPA. Some schools do offer a more formal post-bacc option where you still take courses but have the guidance of a premed advisor and get some other perks that a typical tradional premed student gets.

SMP (special masters program) is a master's degree program (or sometimes certificate) where you take first-year med school courses for a whole year to prove your med-school worth. Typically, you need to apply with all the pre-reqs already done and have a mcat score. Doing well in these programs makes a weak candidate into a stronger one. that said, it's high risk, high reward for if you do poorly, your chances are practically zero.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, the former is less expensive. The latter can be a backdoor into med school, and you real advice from med school faculty (if given at a med school). Plus, you're a known quantity to the Adcom members, who will frequently be your SMP faculty. But if you do poorly, your SMP degree is worthless, unless the program has some added-value component, like some research venue.

DIY (Do It Yourself) post-bacc just means you enroll at any school to take more courses to raise your GPA. Some schools do offer a more formal post-bacc option where you still take courses but have the guidance of a premed advisor and get some other perks that a typical tradional premed student gets.

SMP (special masters program) is a master's degree program (or sometimes certificate) where you take first-year med school courses for a whole year to prove your med-school worth. Typically, you need to apply with all the pre-reqs already done and have a mcat score. Doing well in these programs makes a weak candidate into a stronger one. that said, it's high risk, high reward for if you do poorly, your chances are practically zero.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that we will see a collective drop in GPAs, especially sGPAs.

I suspect that schools will judge you on your total performance, but pay more attention to the most recent grades.

Goro, would you say it's fair to apply with a lower sGPA threshold now and if so what is the lowest you would give the go-ahead to? I can raise my sGPA to 3.1 by next year with 15 credits (all I can afford).

I'm still not over how bad this policy change sucks. Reading old WAMC makes me so angry and jealous over how simple it was to make a comeback. I could have shot my sGPA up to 3.5+ by next year and now I can only get it up to 3.1.

I'm planning on taking immunobiology, infectious processes, epidemiology, cellular neuroscience, and molecular aspects of diabetes/obesity for my post-bac. Going to quit my job and take it all together in one semester to hopefully show adcoms I can handle a rigorous course load. Hope it's enough!

I would apply broadly with a 3.1 and higher, especially targeting the newest schools.

Goro, would you say it's fair to apply with a lower sGPA threshold now and if so what is the lowest you would give the go-ahead to? I can raise my sGPA to 3.1 by next year with 15 credits (all I can afford).

I'm still not over how bad this policy change sucks. Reading old WAMC makes me so angry and jealous over how simple it was to make a comeback. I could have shot my sGPA up to 3.5+ by next year and now I can only get it up to 3.1.

I'm planning on taking immunobiology, infectious processes, epidemiology, cellular neuroscience, and molecular aspects of diabetes/obesity for my post-bac. Going to quit my job and take it all together in one semester to hopefully show adcoms I can handle a rigorous course load. Hope it's enough!

Hi @Goro, I'm confused as to what I should do. I want to apply this upcoming cycle (4.0 DIY post bacc GPA with all science courses, some retakes, some new, great LOR, >4000 hours of clinical/volunteer experience). However, because grade replacement is gone, my sGPA will only go up to 2.89 and cGPA to a 2.92. My funds are running low (can probably take one more class but it's all going on my credit card). Should I try to do another year of going the DIY post bacc route and trying to raise my GPA to a 3.0 or should I apply to an SMP? I'm waiting for my MCAT score to be released in a couple of days so I don't have a score that I can share with you as of now.

I'm sorry if this question doesn't belong here and thank you for your time!

Hi @Goro, I'm confused as to what I should do. I want to apply this upcoming cycle (4.0 DIY post bacc GPA with all science courses, some retakes, some new, great LOR, >4000 hours of clinical/volunteer experience). However, because grade replacement is gone, my sGPA will only go up to 2.89 and cGPA to a 2.92. My funds are running low (can probably take one more class but it's all going on my credit card). Should I try to do another year of going the DIY post bacc route and trying to raise my GPA to a 3.0 or should I apply to an SMP? I'm waiting for my MCAT score to be released in a couple of days so I don't have a score that I can share with you as of now.

I'd vote for SMP, I had a great experience with it, VERY similar to your situation.

How many credits have you taken in your post-bac?

You might be in a position to apply broadly to DO schools this cycle AND an SMP.

How many credits have you taken in your post-bac?

You might be in a position to apply broadly to DO schools this cycle AND an SMP.
@Goro Thank you for your response! I'm at 23.68 semester post bacc units (converted some quarter units). I know if I take 12 more semester units, I can raise my sGPA to a 3.0.

Last edited:
Hi @Goro , I was wondering if you could give me some quick advice for my DIY/SMP? Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this topic from a few weeks ago.

I was re-taking pre-reqs before the policy change was announced. I graduated 2016 and wanted to take a year of re-taking classes and apply DO. As of today, I have done a 2-semester DIY post-bacc consiting of re-taken "C" coursework as well as an upper level science I did not take in undergrad (Biochem) and have a 3.85 in 21 credits. I was originally planning to apply to SMP's now and take 2 semesters of undergraduate higher-level biology classes I have not yet taken during the application year. I would've applied to medical schools the summer before the SMP. All in all, 1 more year of post-bac, 1 year of SMP, and then medical school.

My question is, would it be better (both financially and for transcript damage-control) to just do 2 more years of a DIY post-bacc instead of 1 more year of DIY + 1 year SMP.? The second year of DIY I am going to do will get me to a 3.0 sGPA (assuming all A's) and the third year will get me to around 3.2-3.3 sGPA. cGPA will be even higher due to a non-science major and a 3.75+ the final 2 years of college. All in all, 2 more years of post-bac, and then medical school.

Basically, the way I see it, I will have a competitive undergraduate GPA (for DO's) and no masters GPA or a below-average undergraduate GPA and a pending masters GPA. I will be able to continue clinical volunteering (a weakness in my app) if I go the DIY route.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Should I even apply anymore???

I have a ~3.22 cGPA and ~3.22 sGPA with retakes/grade replacement, but about a 3.45/3.38 cGPA/sGPA with grade replacement?

I am applying to all the DO schools, and my MCAT was a 502 (126-124-126-126).

I am particularly interested in new DO schools, and I have about 900 hours of clinical experience including helping to take care of patients with dementia, cook for patients with physical limitations, volunteering at a hospital, and going on a Medical mission style brigade.

I have a ~3.22 cGPA and ~3.22 sGPA with retakes/grade replacement, but about a 3.45/3.38 cGPA/sGPA with grade replacement?

I am particularly interested in new DO schools, and I have about 900 hours of clinical experience including helping to take care of patients with dementia, cook for patients with physical limitations, volunteering at a hospital, and going on a Medical mission style brigade.

I think you should definitely apply. Your gpa and mcat seem acceptable for newer DO schools. If you don't have any luck by December then apply to some SMPs as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Absolutely you should

The DIY plan is fine.

Hi @Goro ,My question is, would it be better (both financially and for transcript damage-control) to just do 2 more years of a DIY post-bacc instead of 1 more year of DIY + 1 year SMP.? The second year of DIY I am going to do will get me to a 3.0 sGPA (assuming all A's) and the third year will get me to around 3.2-3.3 sGPA. cGPA will be even higher due to a non-science major and a 3.75+ the final 2 years of college. All in all, 2 more years of post-bac, and then medical school.

Basically, the way I see it, I will have a competitive undergraduate GPA (for DO's) and no masters GPA or a below-average undergraduate GPA and a pending masters GPA. I will be able to continue clinical volunteering (a weakness in my app) if I go the DIY route.
Thanks in advance!!

Asked and answered in your other thread. Medical missions are treated as medical tourism, and ignored.

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up, but is it reasonable to suspect that the average cGPA and sGPA of students who Matriculate to DO schools will be lower next cycle with this new policy compared to previous cycles? my cGPA dropped to a 3.4 and my sGPA dropped to a 3.37 and my MCAT is 504. I have strong ECs and decent letters and plan to apply the day the cycle opens. Do I have a chance for DO schools? (i'm strictly applying to DO schools). thanks!

I should've mentioned in my previous post that I am apply from Canada, will this hurt my chances @Goro ?

Hi @Goro , @AnatomyGrey12 and anyone else who would like to comment. Like many others here, I have been affected by the change in grade forgiveness policy. I'm from Florida, currently 32 years old, and was just at the end of executing my plan when I got the email. My first few years after high school were rough. I was enrolled at a local CC and signed up for full loads and due to difficult life circumstances at the time, I dropped all of them. I did this for a few years while having no life stability. All in all I have 18 W's on my transcript, but was never put on academic probation. By age 24 I found my calling and became a personal trainer where I was very successful. At that same time I went back to school and started retaking classes, some of which I had withdrew from twice. I had a sub 1.0 gpa at the time. Over the next few years I chipped away at classes, got my AA and brought my gpa up to a 3.32. After being denied admission to my local University to get a degree in Biology, I continued taking pre-reqs and year later got admitted to a satellite campus of that university that had a new Bio program.
Everything changed from that moment on. I no longer had financial problems, I loved my job and had a healthy balance of life experience. I completed my program at that university with a 3.89 gpa, was the president of the triathlon club, completed two Ironman triathlons, served as a member of student government, did research on melanopsin, completed an internship doing microbiology at a local craft brewery, volunteered at a children's hospital as a tutor, and worked a second job as a tutor.
I took the MCAT and GRE after graduating and didn't do as well as I would have hoped. 497 (125/125/126/121) and a 313 (151 reading/162 math).
I'm currently in an SMP at the medical college of institution that originally rejected me for bio and have a 3.75 with 6 weeks to go in the last semester. I'm projecting to at least hold that GPA, and I'm in a very good position to get strait A's. So maybe finish with a 3.8. I have 200+ volunteer hours and 100+ shadowing hours, letters from a DO and MD in primary care, along with other strong supporting letters. I'm taking the MCAT Sept.9th six weeks after I graduate. I feel confident in my ability to get a 505+
Before the policy I had an undergrad gpa of 3.50c/3.48s, but because of the tremendous amount of W's from my past, with the new policy in place I have a 2.44c/2.92s. I was confident that with a good MCAT score I would be a competitive applicant for DO schools. Now I'm not sure where I stand. Many of my friends from the SMP have been accepted and matriculated to MD and DO schools. I am competitive with all of them in the classroom environment. I was planning on possibly entertaining a Caribbean school like St. George's if I didn't get in anywhere this cycle, although I am hesitant because of much of what I read about it being a crap shoot with your future. My mother's primary has a practice down the road and has nothing but good things to say. There isn't much more I can do to repair my application at this point and I think in general it is a very good application (without the poor past grades at CC and my lack of a good MCAT)
Assuming I am able to get a good MCAT score, what should I do? Am I going to get screened from every DO school I apply to? I've talked to many of my advisers, one of whom is on the adcom of the MD school at my institution, and he seems to think I have a good chance as long as I tie up my loose ends. I know I'll be able to handle the volume of a medical school curriculum, I have a true passion for learning, and I have a gift for working with people. I know this because I've been a trainer for over 8 years now and have worked with 300-400 people. It's been the most rewarding experience of my life so far and has brought me to this point. I really enjoy primary care from what I've experienced so far and think my skill set is well suited for it. I want to continue this amazing journey, there is so much more I want to learn. What should I do???

First off, redsox, learn how to use the Enter key to make spaces between paragraphs. It was very hard to read your wall of text.

Assuming I am able to get a good MCAT score, what should I do?

No, far from it
Am I going to get screened from every DO school I apply to?

I agree with him, This is what SMPs are for. Aim for 513+ on the MCAT for MD schools, and 508+ for DO. You have shown that the you of then is not the you of now. To reiterate, it's no longer about raising the GPAs, but showing that you can handle med school.
Apply broadly to DO schools and for MD, well, come back when you have your MCAT score. Your state MD school should be #1 on your list.
I've talked to many of my advisers, one of whom is on the adcom of the MD school at my institution, and he seems to think I have a good chance as long as I tie up my loose ends.

First off, redsox, learn how to use the Enter key to make spaces between paragraphs. It was very hard to read your wall of text.

Assuming I am able to get a good MCAT score, what should I do?

No, far from it
Am I going to get screened from every DO school I apply to?

I agree with him, This is what SMPs are for. Aim for 513+ on the MCAT for MD schools, and 508+ for DO. You have shown that the you of then is not the you of now. To reiterate, it's no longer about raising the GPAs, but showing that you can handle med school.
Apply broadly to DO schools and for MD, well, come back when you have your MCAT score. Your state MD school should be #1 on your list.
I've talked to many of my advisers, one of whom is on the adcom of the MD school at my institution, and he seems to think I have a good chance as long as I tie up my loose ends.

Thanks @Goro , Sorry about the spaces and the life story. Not to be a smart ass, but man textbooks must be tough... just sayin.

Last edited:
@Goro

I'm trying to heed your suggestions 14-17 credit hrs and do a SMP only after a failed cycle. What do you think about my DIY plan?

Fall 17 (15 hrs)
Microbiology 4 credits
Biochemistry 4 credits (retake got a C)
Human Physiology 4 credits
Public Speaking 3 credits

Spring 18 (12 hrs)
Immunology 3 credits
Pharmacology 3 credits
Interdisc Appl in Biology 3 credits
Research Methods in Biology 3 credits

Summer 18
Mcat prep

Fall 18 (14 hrs)
Virology 3 credits
Mycology 4 credits
Parasitology 4 credits
Biotechnology 3 credits

Spring 19
Apply to Medical Schools/SMPs

No need to retake Biochem unless there are schools you wish to target that require a B in this course, OR you have forgotten everything on the subject.

Schedule is great. Good luck!
@Goro

I'm trying to heed your suggestions 14-17 credit hrs and do a SMP only after a failed cycle. What do you think about my DIY plan?

Fall 17 (15 hrs)
Microbiology 4 credits
Biochemistry 4 credits (retake got a C)
Human Physiology 4 credits
Public Speaking 3 credits

Spring 18 (12 hrs)
Immunology 3 credits
Pharmacology 3 credits
Interdisc Appl in Biology 3 credits
Research Methods in Biology 3 credits

Summer 18
Mcat prep

Fall 18 (14 hrs)
Virology 3 credits
Mycology 4 credits
Parasitology 4 credits
Biotechnology 3 credits

Spring 19
Apply to Medical Schools/SMPs

I have a question for you @Goro if you don't mind. I am wondering if a MMS in physician assistant is looked at kind of like an SMP? I don't have the greatest undergraduate GPA but pulled >3.7 in PA school. Do you think this will help at all with my DO application?

I have a question for you @Goro if you don't mind. I am wondering if a MMS in physician assistant is looked at kind of like an SMP? I don't have the greatest undergraduate GPA but pulled >3.7 in PA school. Do you think this will help at all with my DO application?
What's the coursework like???

The risk is that the Adcom will think "kid wants to be a PA"

@Goro

Well, I've been working as a PA for 7 years so, I am one. Looking to go on for more knowledge. It's a 27 month masters program; anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, microbiology, clinical medicine, clinical laboratory medicine, radiology for primary care, medical ethics, cultural issues in healthcare, clinical psychiatry, nutrition, ECG interpretation, physical diagnosis, research methodology, epidemiology and bio stats. This coursework is followed by one year of clinical rotations in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, OB/GYN, general surgery, emergency medicine, pediatrics and 3 elective rotations.

I graduated in 2010, so I'm pretty removed from school. Took the MCAT on 7/21 and found my way to SDN afterward. Seems to be discouraging the more threads I look at here.

@Goro

Well, I've been working as a PA for 7 years so, I am one. Looking to go on for more knowledge. It's a 27 month masters program; anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, microbiology, clinical medicine, clinical laboratory medicine, radiology for primary care, medical ethics, cultural issues in healthcare, clinical psychiatry, nutrition, ECG interpretation, physical diagnosis, research methodology, epidemiology and bio stats. This coursework is followed by one year of clinical rotations in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, OB/GYN, general surgery, emergency medicine, pediatrics and 3 elective rotations.

I graduated in 2010, so I'm pretty removed from school. Took the MCAT on 7/21 and found my way to SDN afterward. Seems to be discouraging the more threads I look at here.
This sounds far better!!! You're fine. Just do well on MCAT and send an app to my school.

The key thing you have to worry about, is to avoid the "I already know that, so I don't need to study cardiology" mindset. I've seen this in a number of allied health professionals turned med students, and it hurts them during 3rd and 4th years.

@Goro

I won't take pharmacology or retake Biochemistry in my post-bac so thanks for the tip.

Would the course below classify as BCPM?

BIOL 4560 - Research Methods in Biology
Prerequisites: BIOL 3400, additional prerequisites will vary by the course theme. This course provides a comprehensive development of skills necessary for students to become advanced science writers and researchers. To be taken as an alternative to BIOL 4800 Internship or STEC 4500 Research or BIOL 4570. By the end of this course, students should be able to: (1) Gather accurate information about a possible career path; (2) Effectively use the steps of the scientific method; (3) Communicate in-depth scientific information effectively in oral and written form using appropriate terminology and charts/graphs; (4) Collect and analyze data and present results in appropriate formats including chart, graph and oral/written form.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Levels: Undergraduate Semester System
Schedule Types: Lecture

Biology Department
Yes, it's Biology.

This sounds far better!!! You're fine. Just do well on MCAT and send an app to my school.

The key thing you have to worry about, is to avoid the "I already know that, so I don't need to study cardiology" mindset. I've seen this in a number of allied health professionals turned med students, and it hurts them during 3rd and 4th years.

Thanks for your input. I definitely do not have that mindset!

@Goro quick question. How do DO schools look at veterinary experiences for ECs? I have about over 1600 hours worth of experience from working at a veterinary hospital. I plan on trying to get shadow hours under a DO before applying next year. Any help would be great thanks!

@Goro quick question. How do DO schools look at veterinary experiences for ECs? I have about over 1600 hours worth of experience from working at a veterinary hospital. I plan on trying to get shadow hours under a DO before applying next year. Any help would be great thanks!
Knee jerk reaction: why not just be a vet?

Knee jerk reaction: why not just be a vet?
In all honesty my grades are sub par. A a 2.7 cgpa and about 2.6 sgpa and i plan on taking upper level biology classes to help bump it up. My last 60- 80 hours have been about a 3.3 cgpa. With far less vet schools than med schools I wanted a back up plan. I want to be a doctor wether that is human or vet med. I have realized that after working in a microbiology lab. Thanks again for any help!

@Goro

Some DO schools strongly recommend taking an upper division Microbiology course. In a previous post, I said I took a lower division Microbiology course at the school I received my BS because they didn't offer a UD version.

Here is the course description of the lower division course:

BIOL 2050 - Microbiology
A study of elements of microbiology, giving a general knowledge of microorganisms as related to the problems of nursing and health. (3-2-4)

4.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours
2.000 Lab hours

Levels: Undergraduate - Semester

The above course is intended for nurse majors.

Here is the course description of the upper division Microbiology course that I am considering of taking at my post-bac school:

BIOL 3300K - Microbiology with Laboratory
Prerequisite: BIOL 3400K Upon completion of this course, students will be able to: (a) Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of microbiology including history, microscopy and staining techniques and characteristics and evolution of microorganisms; (b) Demonstrate knowledge of genetics including inheritance of information, causes, consequences and uses of mutations, exchange and acquisition of genetic information in prokaryotes; (c) Describe and discuss metabolism, growth, growth control and metabolic diversity in prokaryotes; (d) Describe the spectrum of chemotherapeutic antimicrobial activity, selective toxicity and how it leads to antibiotic resistance; (e) Explain the interactions and impact of microorganisms and hosts (to include pathology and epidemiology) and the role of microorganisms in the environment; (f) Describe the general concepts of acellular microbes (prions, viroids, viruses) and their role in microbiology; and (g) Demonstrate proficiency in basic lab skills and communicate the results of experiments effectively.
4.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours
1.000 Lab hours

I really appreciate your advice!

"Strongly recommend" =/= required.
@Goro

Some DO schools strongly recommend taking an upper division Microbiology course. In a previous post, I said I took a lower division Microbiology course at the school I received my BS because they didn't offer a UD version.

Here is the course description of the lower division course:

BIOL 2050 - Microbiology
A study of elements of microbiology, giving a general knowledge of microorganisms as related to the problems of nursing and health. (3-2-4)

4.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours
2.000 Lab hours

Levels: Undergraduate - Semester

The above course is intended for nurse majors.

Here is the course description of the upper division Microbiology course that I am considering of taking at my post-bac school:

BIOL 3300K - Microbiology with Laboratory
Prerequisite: BIOL 3400K Upon completion of this course, students will be able to: (a) Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of microbiology including history, microscopy and staining techniques and characteristics and evolution of microorganisms; (b) Demonstrate knowledge of genetics including inheritance of information, causes, consequences and uses of mutations, exchange and acquisition of genetic information in prokaryotes; (c) Describe and discuss metabolism, growth, growth control and metabolic diversity in prokaryotes; (d) Describe the spectrum of chemotherapeutic antimicrobial activity, selective toxicity and how it leads to antibiotic resistance; (e) Explain the interactions and impact of microorganisms and hosts (to include pathology and epidemiology) and the role of microorganisms in the environment; (f) Describe the general concepts of acellular microbes (prions, viroids, viruses) and their role in microbiology; and (g) Demonstrate proficiency in basic lab skills and communicate the results of experiments effectively.
4.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours
1.000 Lab hours

I really appreciate your advice!

I'm not sure whether I should continue with DIY post bacc classes and possibly retake MCAT or go with an SMP such as EVMS, or LECOM's post bacc.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Hello Goro, do you think you can shed some light on what I should do next?
I have looked at many posts but I'm really debating between continuing with my DIY post bacc or doing a formal post bacc or SMP.
My GPA is very low.
cGPA: 2.9, sGPA: 2.5
DIY Postbacc of 45 semester units (or 67 quarter units): cGPA: 3.9+, sGPA: 4.0
Combined: cGPA: 3.17, sGPA: 3.0.
MCAT: 505
Balanced EC.

I'm not sure whether I should continue with DIY post bacc classes and possibly retake MCAT or go with an SMP such as EVMS, or LECOM's post bacc.
What do you guys think?
Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest DO schools.
IF you live in a very lucky state (like KS, ND, SD, MS NM, etc) try your state school as well.
Get a DO LOR as well.

@Goro
Got my mcat score back today. 505 (125/126/127/127).
Do you think this will be competitive for DO application?

I just recently visited Pacific Northwest University of Health Science. They told me that they look at the last 60 credit hours (in a semester based school) or last 90 credit hours (in a quarter based school).

If you are interested in applying to this school, please keep in mind they have a preference for applicants from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and the state of Washington.

@Goro

School has just started and I didn't drop a course within the drop/add period. I'm now going to have a W in my post-bac record. Will this look bad and should I just keep getting A's to move forward?

Hi Goro,
When doing a DIY post-bacc( two semesters of 16 credits in upper-level sciences in my case)- do schools prefer completing it at just one school and on-campus? I would like to take two courses on campus at one school and two courses online offered through another school this semester. Would that be acceptable?

Hi Goro,
When doing a DIY post-bacc( two semesters of 16 credits in upper-level sciences in my case)- do schools prefer completing it at just one school and on-campus? I would like to take two courses on campus at one school and two courses online offered through another school this semester. Would that be acceptable?
Great question. I've never seen anything that suggests schools want everything done at once. Do keep in mind that online coursework might be discounted.

Great question. I've never seen anything that suggests schools want everything done at once. Do keep in mind that online coursework might be discounted.
Even if the majority of my coursework was completed on campus?

Thank you, Goro!
Just wondering- anyone know of any SMP programs that also have a January start class?