Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So from what I've gathered, a 3.0 is the minimum to still have a shot?

With grade replacement, I'm sitting at cGPA 3.4/sGPA 3.6/MCAT 505. 400+ hours clinical volunteering. 1500+ hours clinical work experience.

As of next year, I'll have cGPA 2.86/sGPA 3.6/MCAT 505, etc.

My post-bac is 60 hours of 4.0 which includes every medical school prerequisite. I had never taken any of the prereqs before. All of the grades that I replaced were random classes from undergrad that were at least 8 years ago at this point.

I believe that it would take another 30 hours or so of 4.0 to get my cGPA up to a 3.0. I've gone into a lot of debt retaking these classes, and I honestly don't think it's financially possible for me to return to school to take any more classes. This whole plan was based around my ability to get into medical school either this cycle or next, and the window seems to be closing for this cycle. Would it be totally pointless for me to apply next cycle with these stats?
Similar position to a friend of mine that did a post-bac to earn a second degree in biology after first earning one in economics, though I don't know what his cGPA was (I just know that it wasn't great). He 4.0 his way through the bio degree and is now at an MD school in California.

You could always call the admissions office at a few schools and request information regarding your case in order to gain better understanding of the next best steps in getting an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should probably email the school about your situation. Certain schools that I emailed explicitly mentioned that any gpa under 3 will get screened. Best hope is to find schools that do not have such a hard screen.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... that maybe I should just find out if each school screens out <3.0 GPA's, apply to those all of those schools, and hope they feel generous. Is this data easily accessible anywhere, or will I need research and/or call each one individually? Even if I'm able to get past screens, am I correct in assuming that this change in the grade forgiveness policy SEVERELY reduces my chances at acceptance?

Yeah that's what I was thinking... that maybe I should just find out if each school screens out <3.0 GPA's, apply to those all of those schools, and hope they feel generous. Is this data easily accessible anywhere, or will I need research and/or call each one individually? Even if I'm able to get past screens, am I correct in assuming that this change in the grade forgiveness policy SEVERELY reduces my chances at acceptance?
The numbers don't mean all that much once you've got an interview. You need to find out if you'll be automatically screened or have a chance at getting an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
@t5Nitro

The problem is getting to that interview part. If you look at DrMidLife's post you'll see what I mean.

Even if I'm able to get past screens, am I correct in assuming that this change in the grade forgiveness policy SEVERELY reduces my chances at acceptance?

Eh you are a non-trad with a 3.6 sGPA and a 505 MCAT score. You might get more love than you think. I'm not convinced schools will screen you out. Maybe CUSOM and possibly KCU. I would still apply to KCU though, they are known to make exceptions.

@Goro
I'm at a DO SMP, was doing really well on the first few exams last semester so they offered me an early interview. I feel it went well, but I was put on the waitlist. I'm assuming they offered the interview and then had second thoughts about an early acceptance because of red flags from years ago (academic suspension during undergrad). I did a year of post-bacc before the SMP, 32 credits of upper-level science and repeats of any C prereqs and finished that with a 3.78. Just finished the first half of my school's SMP with a 4.0, the dean here said they'd review my file today. Do you think I have a good chance of getting off the waitlist now that they have high A's from me in all of their SMP classes so far? Do you often see the committee wait till after the second half to make a decision about an SMP student? Just feeling anxious about it.
-Excellent EC's/shadowing
-Research (not published)
-501 MCAT (school avg is 501)

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You might have done poorly in the interview. But I do think that it's highly likely that you'll come off the waitlist.

@Goro
I'm at a DO SMP, was doing really well on the first few exams last semester so they offered me an early interview. I feel it went well, but I was put on the waitlist. I'm assuming they offered the interview and then had second thoughts about an early acceptance because of red flags from years ago (academic suspension during undergrad). I did a year of post-bacc before the SMP, 32 credits of upper-level science and repeats of any C prereqs and finished that with a 3.78. Just finished the first half of my school's SMP with a 4.0, the dean here said they'd review my file today. Do you think I have a good chance of getting off the waitlist now that they have high A's from me in all of their SMP classes so far? Do you often see the committee wait till after the second half to make a decision about an SMP student? Just feeling anxious about it.
-Excellent EC's/shadowing
-Research (not published)
-501 MCAT (school avg is 501)

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: 1 user

Some schools I've checked out allude to screens on their sites, others don't at all. If I were you, assuming you have a DO letter and good ECs/clinical to round out your app, I would apply this cycle. Call schools and ask them, it honestly won't take that long. Apply to each school where you might not get screened. All the new schools especially; I would find it hard to believe that they would have strict screening procedures.

Again, I think if the other parts of your app I mentioned are there, you will get in somewhere. So what if you bombed your gpa as a criminal justice major like eight years ago? Your work in post bacc shows you clearly aren't that way now. And you weren't even intent on medicine back then; you were in a totally different academic discipline which maybe just wasn't what you ultimately wanted.

Good luck man with whatever you decide to do

Hey guys, so I'm a senior right now and I was orignally planning on applying to the 2017-2018 cycle after retaking 2 C-'s in a bio class (retaking this semester) and a GenChem II lab (taking in the summer), 2C's (GenChem I, Orgo I). With grade replacement I would have had c3.49, s3.2-3.3 GPA, but if I still retake those classes without the replacement, I'd be at c3.36 and s3.1-something. I want to know if it would be worth it since I'd make the 3.0 cutoff. Right now my sGPA is a 2.88. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (May) but diagnostics say I'm sitting in the 502-505 range. I'm an URM, shadowing a DO, community-focused ECs and 100+ hours of clinical experience at a hospital. Do I have a shot if i apply broadly to both MD/DO after the retakes or should I look towards a post bacc? I'd appreciate any inputs, thanks.

Last edited:
@Goro You said 1-2 years of DIY postbacc or upper level courses. How much credit do you think would be good enough for someone who is taking upper level science courses.

Guys any stats for canadian students in Canadian-friendly DO schools. Like average gpa, mcat etc.

What should be the threshold gpa for a Canadian applying to DO schools so that they won't waste their time and money.

Guys any stats for canadian students in Canadian-friendly DO schools. Like average gpa, mcat etc.

What should be the threshold gpa for a Canadian applying to DO schools so that they won't waste their time and money.

Anecdotally, I had a friend apply this cycle with a 508/3.4 Canadian and got rejected from all schools that take Canadians.

This cycle seems to have been very hard on Canadians/international students. Most of the "new" DO schools won't actually take internationals because they're having issues with visas

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally, I had a friend apply this cycle with a 508/3.4 Canadian and got rejected from all schools that take Canadians.

This cycle seems to have been very hard on Canadians/international students. Most of the "new" DO schools won't actually take internationals because they're having issues with visas

Yeah.. definitely harder this cycle. But I heard MSUCOM took Canadians with a similar (slightly better) gpa and lower mcat this cycle.. but then again.. they have the initiative program which helps.

OK, let's scale that back to a minimum of 1/semester, but two preferably. There is a point of where there is a minimum, because you need to demonstrate that you can handle the load of med school.

4-5 courses a semester? Just asking because I work full-time (I have no choice).

4-5 courses a semester? Just asking because I work full-time (I have no choice).

Be careful how you choose those courses... because I am doing 23 credits right now and it's killing me.

4-5 courses....say 15-17 credits.

Surprised by this. Are 1-2 classes per semester (6-8 credit hours per) really enough to prove you can handle a medical school load? Would've thought more.

I'll be applying to SMP's this summer to matriculate to a program for Fall 2018. I will be taking more upper level undergraduate courses during the glide year to improve my uGPA. I was planning to do 3 for Fall 2017 and 3 for Spring 2018. Is that not necessary/too much?

If one is working full time. But we'd expect to see two+ years of aceing this.

If you're not working, then I'd expect more coursework

Surprised by this. Are 1-2 classes per semester (6-8 credit hours per) really enough to prove you can handle a medical school load? Would've thought more.

I'll be applying to SMP's this summer to matriculate to a program for Fall 2018. I will be taking more upper level undergraduate courses during the glide year to improve my uGPA. I was planning to do 3 for Fall 2017 and 3 for Spring 2018. Is that not necessary/too much?

Oh no, I'm not taking that many. I'm only taking two night classes a semester. When do you intend on applying to medical schools?

ASAP. Probably in two years time if I don't get into an SMP.

Question: I have to take Calculus I, II, and III for my second bachelor's degree at a four-year state university. However I already took Calculus I (barely got a B) at a community college recently turned state college that I took my College Algebra, Pre-Calc, and Trig at. Should I take the course for credit again or audit it? I fear if I audit it I won't take it seriously.

If one is working full time. But we'd expect to see two+ years of aceing this.

If you're not working, then I'd expect more coursework

Would taking one upper level class a semester, working full time, and preparing for the MCAT be good enough?

@Goro

I completely agree with you. I am taking a break this spring term to boost my volunteer hours. I am going to take two science classes (8hrs) in the summer and three science classes (12hrs) in the fall. I am going to do this while working full-time.

Bravo to you that's impressive if I do say so!

Lol. It's going to be hard because I am going to retake Chemistry II and Organic Chemistry I in the summer. Fall will retake Physics II, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry II. I will take an MCAT Prep course the following spring.

Why are you retaking so many courses now that grade replacement is gone?

I was thinking about that as well. It's been a while since I have been exposed to these classes. Taking these classes would help me prep for the Mcat. But these courses might not impress adcoms. I don't know. You think I should just focus on upper level sciences?

I was thinking about that as well. It's been a while since I have been exposed to these classes. Taking these classes would help me prep for the Mcat. But these courses might not impress adcoms. I don't know. You think I should just focus on upper level sciences?

I mean yeah unless you got a D in any of them I'd take upper division courses and ace them. If you do an MCAT prep course youll learn the material you need from those courses in the review.

Okay will do. I had B/C's in those courses and it was a while ago but I will take your advice RamsFan&FutureDO. Your a soon to be medical student so you know how and where to improve on an app. I was going to do a masters program but I am trying to minimize debt as much as possible.

Yeah.. definitely harder this cycle. But I heard MSUCOM took Canadians with a similar (slightly better) gpa and lower mcat this cycle.. but then again.. they have the initiative program which helps.

I think a lot of Canadians don't have the financial means to do MSUCOM. You can get max ~250 K Canadian from banks, which is NOT enough to cover the 80k American (? not 100% sure about this figure) per year

I think a lot of Canadians don't have the financial means to do MSUCOM. You can get max ~250 K Canadian from banks, which is NOT enough to cover the 80k American (? not 100% sure about this figure) per year
Yeah which is why I believe not many apply there in the first place.. if your cosigners have property, you can get a home line of credit which would exceed the max $250k most Canadian banks offer (what I was told from my bank).

It's essentially 90k now... :barf:

90k a year just for tuition????

That's insane.

Well 20k scholarship for Canadians, so ~70k.. still the main withdrawing factor for many Canadians that apply to that school simply because banks offer $250k CAD max (very strict). Tuition of about $280k USD is over $350k CAD and let's not forget about the interest payments that the student MUST pay during his studies.

I currently have an acceptance at another DO school but can't find a cosigner to approve my loan (Canadian). No clue what to do. My parents alone don't qualify. Other family don't want to help (afraid). Man it sucks...

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro
Thanks so much for doing this. I'd like to hear your thoughts on my situation.

I graduated with a ~3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA overall, but my senior year GPA is 3.2/2.7 sGPA. That includes two C's in science classes in my last semester. I know that a downward trend is bad, but how should I overcome this?

Will a DIY post-bac year suffice, and how many credits should I aim for (I'll have to work and study for the MCAT too).

Well 20k scholarship for Canadians, so ~70k.. still the main withdrawing factor for many Canadians that apply to that school simply because banks offer $250k CAD max (very strict). Tuition of about $280k USD is over $350k CAD and let's not forget about the interest payments that the student MUST pay during his studies.

I currently have an acceptance at another DO school but can't find a cosigner to approve my loan (Canadian). No clue what to do. My parents alone don't qualify. Other family don't want to help (afraid). Man it sucks...

Does MSUCOM have any deferment programs?

You're in a hole, and you need to dig out of it. Aceing a one year post-bac would suffice. How many credits? At least 9-12 credits /semester.

I understand that you have life responsibilities now, but time mgt is an art that med students need to master, and no med school will do you any favors by admitting you, only to have you fail out. Med school will be 3-5x as hard as your UG coursework.

@Goro
Thanks so much for doing this. I'd like to hear your thoughts on my situation.

I graduated with a ~3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA overall, but my senior year GPA is 3.2/2.7 sGPA. That includes two C's in science classes in my last semester. I know that a downward trend is bad, but how should I overcome this?

Will a DIY post-bac year suffice, and how many credits should I aim for (I'll have to work and study for the MCAT too).

Any changes to your view on using cc for post-bacc, given the policy change?

You're in a hole, and you need to dig out of it. Aceing a one year post-bac would suffice. How many credits? At least 9-12 credits /semester.

I understand that you have life responsibilities now, but time mgt is an art that med students need to master, and no med school will do you any favors by admitting you, only to have you fail out. Med school will be 3-5x as hard as your UG coursework.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, that is honestly the worst feeling. I'm hoping you get your situation all figured out!!

Canadian student
3.3 sGPA 3.3cGPA (Strong Upward Trend - Yr1) 2.6 Yr2) 2.7 Yr3) 3.4 Yr4) 3.9 Yr5) 4.0
506 MCAT (127/123/130/126)
250 hours of shadowing (OR/Clinic)
200 hours hospital volunteering
Worked all throughout undergrad 15-30 hours/week (Waiter/Bartender)
LORs - Orthopedic Surgeon, Hospital Volunteer Coordinator, Pharmacology Professor
& Medical Physics Professor (Physics Dept. Head)

I received a secondary from Wayne State University after completing my primary Nov 30th.

If I apply early next cycle do I have a good shot at getting interview to Michigan MD schools? or MSUCOM?

I also plan to rewrite my MCAT for a third time

1st attempt (9/4/7)
2nd attempt (127/123/130/126)

Canadian student
3.3 sGPA 3.3cGPA (Strong Upward Trend - Yr1) 2.6 Yr2) 2.7 Yr3) 3.4 Yr4) 3.9 Yr5) 4.0
LORs - Orthopedic Surgeon, Hospital Volunteer Coordinator, Pharmacology Professor

I received a secondary from Wayne State University after completing my primary Nov 30th.

If I apply early next cycle do I have a good shot at getting interview to Michigan MD schools? or MSUCOM?

1st attempt (9/4/7)

I see several problems: you applied very late to your schools, and your CARS is likely so low that it's getting screened out.

If you can get about a 128 or so on CARS, it might be worth it at that point to try for Canadian schools that only look at your last 2-3 years. Re-writes are detrimental in the states, but fine in Canada.

Besides that, Canadians are always held to a higher standard than American students. I know some students with ~3.4-3.5 and 508 who applied DO from Canada and didn't get in. So you need to be better than their average

Last edited:
International applicants need to be superstars....ie, Stanford/Harvard class applicants for MD schools.

Canadian student

1st attempt (9/4/7)

Rule #1: Take a deep breath, and stop fussing. The sky is not falling, and you medical careers are not over.

I’m going to go out on a limb and make my advice as follows.

a) IF you have F/D grades in the pre-reqs, retake them. You need to show that you can master this material, and it will help you for MCAT (assuming that you haven’t taken the MCAT). If you got C's, take some upper level science classes and ace them. Never, ever retake a B.

If the material was from a long time ago, and you got a B, but you feel you need a refresher for the MCAT, simply audit the course instead.

b) You are now in the position of someone who is considering MD schools as well as DO. The DO path will be a little easier, but still require an investment of 1-2 years of not GPA repair, but of transcript repair.

c) The goal is NOT to raise your cGPA to a sky high level, but rather show that the you of now is not the you of then, and that you can handle a medical school curriculum.

d) Thus, take 1-2 years of a DIY post-bac, or a 1 year SMP, preferably one given at a medical school. Do well in either of these programs. A 3.5+ should suffice for a DO school, while 3.7+ will be needed for an MD school.

e) in addition to d), your MCAT score will determine where to aim. I suggest:

513+ MD schools

510+ your state MD school and any DO school

505+ any DO school

500+ the newest DO schools

On top of these, get as much patient contact volunteering time in as possible. A trend I am seeing from SDNers who have received interviews from good schools, and who also reinvented themselves, is that they have lots of clinical volunteering or employment...some even in the 1000s of hours.

Thank you. I am starting my DIY post-bacc in a few weeks, and this is extremely valuable information. I really appreciate it.

As a father of three, with a full-time job (50 or sho hours weekly), do you think it is okay if I take one prerequisite course during my first semester, just to ease into it, or should I immediately start with two courses per semester?

Thanks in advance for any insight that you're willing to offer.

Start small and ease into it.

Thank you. I am starting my DIY post-bacc in a few weeks, and this is extremely valuable information. I really appreciate it.

As a father of three, with a full-time job (50 or sho hours weekly), do you think it is okay if I take one prerequisite course during my first semester, just to ease into it, or should I immediately start with two courses per semester?

Thanks in advance for any insight that you're willing to offer.

Start small and ease into it.

Thank you. This is just what I'll do.

On another note, having finally calculated my cGPA and sGPA, I am looking for some advice as to how I should proceed, while making the best use of my time and effort.

My cGPA is 2.90, and my sGPA is much lower than I'd predicted, given the courses that qualify as science for both Allopathic and Osteopathic schools. sGPA is 2.54 Allopathic and 2.26 Osteopathic. The early years in undergrad are killing me, as I failed a few classes and had no recollection of them being math/science classes, until I cracked open the safe containing all transcripts. These calculation do include a couple of C+'s in Chem 1 and Chem 2, and an A in Biology for General Education. I'm assuming this intro-level Biology class would not fulfill a required semester for medical school purposes. Either way, I look at these grades and the sheer number of credits taken and think, "What the hell were you DOING back then!?" Alas, it is what it is...

After some careful calculations, assuming I still need to take General Bio 1 and 2, and not just Bio 2, this is what I've come up with:

Taking Bio 1, Bio 2, Organic Chem 1, Organic Chem 2, Biochemistry, Physics 1 and Physics 2, I have the following possible outcomes...

1. I earn an A in every single prerequisite needed, and end up with a 3.20 sGPA (Allo)/3.35sGPA (Osteo)/3.04 cGPA, barely making the cutoff. The fact that I am a Washington state resident might help a smidgen with UW and PNWU, but any hope at being accepted to these, or any medical school will surely have a lot more to do with my MCAT and clinical experience (not to mention great fortune!), based on my research.

2. I earn a 3.5 average when taking the needed prerequisites, and end up with a 2.98 sGPA (Allo)/3.03 sGPA (Osteo)/2.98 cGPA, missing the cutoff and being completely unsure of what the next move should be. Having taken so many courses, due to many transfers for sports-related reasons, it is now extremely difficult for me to raise either GPA type.

So, I am wondering if you Goro, and anyone else who might be willing, can offer any advice on how to plan this out. Should I be thinking about more science courses, a few non-science courses to try and secure that cGPA, grad-level courses, knock out prereqs and then focus big-time on the MCAT, SMP, etc?

As always, I appreciate any insight that anyone is willing to offer. I just want to make sure that as I'm tackling the prereqs, I'm being realistic as far as what the long-term plan should be. I don't want to be thinking prerequisites, MCAT and clinical experience is all I need, when there may be a better course of action for someone in my specific situation.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you. This is just what I'll do.

On another note, having finally calculated my cGPA and sGPA, I am looking for some advice as to how I should proceed, while making the best use of my time and effort.

My cGPA is 2.90, and my sGPA is much lower than I'd predicted, given the courses that qualify as science for both Allopathic and Osteopathic schools. sGPA is 2.54 Allopathic and 2.26 Osteopathic. The early years in undergrad are killing me, as I failed a few classes and had no recollection of them being math/science classes, until I cracked open the safe containing all transcripts. These calculation do include a couple of C+'s in Chem 1 and Chem 2, and an A in Biology for General Education. I'm assuming this intro-level Biology class would not fulfill a required semester for medical school purposes. Either way, I look at these grades and the sheer number of credits taken and think, "What the hell were you DOING back then!?" Alas, it is what it is...

After some careful calculations, assuming I still need to take General Bio 1 and 2, and not just Bio 2, this is what I've come up with:

Taking Bio 1, Bio 2, Organic Chem 1, Organic Chem 2, Biochemistry, Physics 1 and Physics 2, I have the following possible outcomes...

1. I earn an A in every single prerequisite needed, and end up with a 3.20 sGPA (Allo)/3.35sGPA (Osteo)/3.04 cGPA, barely making the cutoff. The fact that I am a Washington state resident might help a smidgen with UW and PNWU, but any hope at being accepted to these, or any medical school will surely have a lot more to do with my MCAT and clinical experience (not to mention great fortune!), based on my research.

2. I earn a 3.5 average when taking the needed prerequisites, and end up with a 2.98 sGPA (Allo)/3.03 sGPA (Osteo)/2.98 cGPA, missing the cutoff and being completely unsure of what the next move should be. Having taken so many courses, due to many transfers for sports-related reasons, it is now extremely difficult for me to raise either GPA type.

So, I am wondering if you Goro, and anyone else who might be willing, can offer any advice on how to plan this out. Should I be thinking about more science courses, a few non-science courses to try and secure that cGPA, grad-level courses, knock out prereqs and then focus big-time on the MCAT, SMP, etc?

As always, I appreciate any insight that anyone is willing to offer. I just want to make sure that as I'm tackling the prereqs, I'm being realistic as far as what the long-term plan should be. I don't want to be thinking prerequisites, MCAT and clinical experience is all I need, when there may be a better course of action for someone in my specific situation.

Thank you in advance.

Saying that you are going to earn all As and actually doing it are two different things. I revived all As and a B my final year in school, and it still wasn't enough to pull my science GPA up to a 3.1 without grade replacement.

I recommend an SMP.

IO think that OP need to do his/her pre-reqs in a post-bac, use that the get MCAT out of the way,a dnthen go for DIY post-bac of med school of advanced science coursework or SMP.

OP, Don't forget that WSU is opening up.

Saying that you are going to earn all As and actually doing it are two different things. I revived all As and a B my final year in school, and it still wasn't enough to pull my science GPA up to a 3.1 without grade replacement.

I recommend an SMP.

I recommend an SMP.

Oh, I completely understand that it will be no cakewalk. That's why I offered two different scenarios. Either one still puts me at a huge disadvantage, and with so many courses under my belt, it is extremely difficult to see any significant increase in GPA.

I'm going to do some reading up on SMP's. Thanks for replying.

IO think that OP need to do his/her pre-reqs in a post-bac, use that the get MCAT out of the way,a dnthen go for DIY post-bac of med school of advanced science coursework or SMP.

OP, Don't forget that WSU is opening up.

I believe this is the exact course I will take, as I really won't have much of a choice. I'm not going to rely on URM status, simply because I screwed up when I was young and unfocused. Too much time and money will be involved, to not have a thorough plan that gives me a legitimate shot at achieving medical school matriculation.

SMPs are pretty costly I hear. You think I might be better off taking a slew of upper-division science courses on a DIY basis, as opposed to going the SMP route? I'm still perusing the threads, but the consensus seems to be that the real benefit of an SMP is if it has a direct link to medical school acceptance, since you pay so much for that path.

I spoke to an adcom at UW today, and she stated that upper-division coursework, or an SMP wouldn't be recommended. That kind of surprised me. She recommended getting solid clinical experience, shadowing time and doing well on the MCAT.

I did notice that Wazzu will officially have a medical school. They do mention not accepting online courses, however with my work schedule and familial responsibilities, some online courses will be necessary. It is dang near impossible to find an in-class prereq that I can attend. I've looked at every school in a 50-mile radius. The non-trad route will be anything but easy. I don't believe it supposed to be.

Last edited:
$20-50K, I hear. I think that you'll be OK with the DIY route. The advice you were given from the Adcom member was asinine. Were you talking to a Dean or faculty member?

SMPs are pretty costly I hear. You think I might be better off taking a slew of upper-division science courses on a DIY basis, as opposed to going the SMP route? I'm still perusing the threads, but the consensus seems to be that the real benefit of an SMP is if it has a direct link to medical school acceptance, since you pay so much for that path.

I spoke to an adcom at UW today, and she stated that upper-division coursework, or an SMP wouldn't be recommended. That kind of surprised me. She recommended getting solid clinical experience, shadowing time and doing well on the MCAT.

I did notice that Wazzu will officially have a medical school. They do mention not accepting online courses, however with my work schedule and familial responsibilities, some online courses will be necessary. It is dang near impossible to find an in-class prereq that I can attend. I've looked at every school in a 50-mile radius. The non-trade route will be anything but easy. I don't believe it supposed to be.[/QUOTE]

$20-50K, I hear. I think that you'll be OK with the DIY route. The advice you were given from the Adcom member was asinine. Were you talking to a Dean or faculty member?

Are there any certain number of upper-division science courses, or perhaps a list that most folks in my shoes tend to take, in order to be competitive? I assume there is a limit to how far one would want to go with the DIY route, given the desire to keep costs at least somewhat manageable, haha!

I swear, I just want to slap the 19-year-old version of myself upside the head.

Her name was Janet, and her title on the UWSOM website is listed only as "Admissions."

Should I speak with a Dean, or Associate Dean of Admissions?