Compilation Good Websites and Apps for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

Its called "Spellex" and I use it before submiting any important document. I ve been using it like 2 years from now and it is amazing how much time I save.

Would've been so much funnier if you had a lone but blatant spelling error in that post lol

Members don't see this ad.

www.radsconsult.com

It's free to use. You can type in any diagnosis or symptom and it will tell you exactly what to order. It also has a helpful FAQ page which answers a lot of common radiology-related questions.

Reactions: 3 users
I want to share the following site, dedicated to the explanation of each inhaler technique.

I think it will be useful for patient guidance, and it is based on each inhaler's leaflet.

inhalers dot tk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Best Apps For Medical Students :

Top Rated MCAT Apps for Future Med. Students:

MCAT Practice, Prep Flashcards (4.5 Stars from 50 Reviewers)

MCAT 2016 Mastery (4.25 Stars from 287 Reviewers)

Ready4 MCAT (4 Stars from 254 Reviewers)

Highly Rated Educational Apps for Medical Students:

Medscape Mobile (4.4 Stars from 43,449 Reviewers)
Resource: Medical news, calculators, tools, disease, and drug and information

Human Anatomy Atlas (4.3 Stars from 1,886 Reviewers)
Resource: 3D anatomical human bodies with clear animations and explanations

Brainscape via iTunes (4 Stars from 73 Reviewers, All Versions: 4.5 Stars from 5,849)
Resource: Find, share, create, and time color-coded flashcards with multimedia

IM (i.e. Internal Medicine) Essential Flashcards (4.5 Stars from 42 Reviewers)
Resource: Find and create flashcards to study medical topics anytime, on-the-go

This is an updated thread based on this thread from 2002. I've gone through and removed dead/outdated links and added the links that were suggested after the main list was no longer being updated.

Please comment with additional resources or apps and they will be added to the master list. [Note: I could use help with suggested apps for Apple/Android! Please supply a link if possible, as well as if it's free or costs money.] Please comment or let me know if there are any dead links.

Please do not link to pirated material or any sites that function to provide copyrighted material for free. No "free" Goljan/Pathoma/Kaplan/etc. Posting these links is a violation of SDN TOS.

Another resource compilation: MedicalStudent.com

**Anatomy**
UMich Anatomy
SUNY Downstate Anatomy
Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
Arkansas Anatomy Tables
The Anatomy Lesson
Get Body Smart- A really good anatomy site to help with muscle action, insertion, etc.
Human Anatomy - Another anatomy resource
Handwritten Tutorials

**Histology**
Iowa's Histology Laboratory
Suny Downstate's Histology Manual
Histology Learning System
JayDoc Histo Web
Blue Histology --- lecture notes and quizzes
Histology Lab Videos

**Physiology, EKG**
Heart Physiology from U. of Utah
EKG Review
ECG library- Collection of Recordings
ECG Stimulator- Quickly learn the most common ECG findings
ECG Wave Maven- Case Studies from Harvard
Handwritten Tutorials

**Embryology**
Human Embryology Animations

**Radiology**
Learning Radiology
radiologyeducation.com- digital library of radiology education resources
Introduction to Radiology - From UVirginia
Radiology cases in peds EM - From UHawaii

**Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience**
Whole Brain Atlas
Salaman's Neuroanatomy Atlas
Essential Neurologic Exam
Handwritten Tutorials

**Microbiology and Immunology**
Mystery Zone
Medical Microbiology - practice exams
Human parasitology tutorial
Handwritten Tutorials

**Pharm**
Pharmacology Quizzes
Pharm Wiki
Handwritten Tutorials

**Physical Examination/Clinicals**
OnlineMedEd - Invaluable free videos for clinical shelf exams, Step 2, intern year
NBME Subject Exam FREE Practice Questions
Loyola University Medical Education network - Reviews the steps of the Physical exam
University of Washington's Advanced Physical Diagnosis - Choose an organ system and then click on "demonstration"
The RALE Repository of Lung Sounds
Blaufuss Mulitmedia Heart Sounds Tutorial
Auscultation Assistant
OR Live Watch Live Surgeries
UCSD Clinical Medicine Guide

**Pathology**
WebPath tutorials and and online path exams.
Heme/Onc Morpholgies
DermIS.net- Dermatology website; great pics, search by description, name or body location
Pathology Outlines

**Residency**
Residency Web from Washington University
Reviews of Residency Programs
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Buffalo)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Virginia)
Urology Match - Resources for students interested in Urology
Residency Interview Recommendations (University of Colorado Medical School produced videos) - Interviewing - YouTube

**Online Medical Tools**
MD Calc - Online calculators
Diagnosis Pro- Differential Diagnosis Generator
Wrong Diagnosis - Differential Diagnosis Generator

**Phone/Tablet Apps**
Medscape - clinical reference
Micromedex - quick drug reference
ePocrates- Drug guide
Radiology 2.0 - One Night in the ED - Great radiology resource
Calculate (Medical Calculator) by QxMed
Essential Anatomy 5 by 3D4Medical (costs $15.99 on iTunes)

**Misc**
MIT's OpenCourseWare - MIT puts their lecture materials online
MedTerms Medical Dictionary
Inner Life of a Cell (8 minutes w/narration and no music)
KMLE Medical Dictionary
Cram- Lots of user-submitted flashcards.
Wellness Rounds - Blog promoting wellness in medical careers
Medymology - definitions, etymology, and useful information about medical terms
Strong Medicine - a large collection of videos covering ECGs, chest X-rays, cardiac auscultation, antibiotics, ABGs, IV fluids, and a whole lot more
WhiteCoated - inspiration and advice from med students and residents
The Doc | Doctors Global Community - blog with articles for doctors

**Humor**
NCBI ROFL - a collection of studies you can't believe were actually published
What Should We Call Med School Tumblr
Med Comic

I would also add this weekly newsletter that is like the Skimm for medical students: The Scope - Medical news, residency humor

They summarize the weeks top medical journals and add humor!
IMG_0323.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What I’d love, is a good one for urology

www.radsconsult.com

It's free to use. You can type in any diagnosis or symptom and it will tell you exactly what to order. It also has a helpful FAQ page which answers a lot of common radiology-related questions.

Thanks a lot. Will help us all in the rad exam management.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hello! My name is Anvar, I am from Russia. I graduated from medical university and worked as an ophthalmologist. Total I spent 8 years of life in medicine. I liked programming it was my hobby and it's turned out that the hobby became my profession. So last four years I am working as an iOS developer. It is a little info about me, But let's go back to the topic of the thread.
I have developed a mobile app for studying anatomy - Easy Anatomy

The problem application solves is that every year millions of medical students learn anatomy and it requires lots of hours of memorization from atlases and books. My solution is a mobile app that has all you need to learn anatomy. We've created accurate, high-quality anatomy illustrations and exam quizzes. All anatomical terminologies are in Latin & English & Russian.
So no more words lets look at screenshots:

1_6.5 inch - iPhone XS Max_screen__1.jpgscreen5.jpg2_6.5 inch - iPhone XS Max_screen__2.jpg3_6.5 inch - iPhone XS Max_screen__3.jpgengScreen8.jpgscreen3.jpgscreen6.jpg

So if you are studying anatomy, you can try my app as an instrument for more effective learning of anatomy.
Here is AppStore link: https://apple.co/2JsQS6h

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of websites and apps which are useful for medical students. Here is a quick breakdown and filteration of the best websites and apps from thousands available out there. Please go through these apps and websites, these are very much helpful for all the medical students.

There are some of the op apps available for medical students are:
  • Lexicomp.
  • Prognosis.
  • Epocrates.
  • Radiology 2.0
Best study websites for medical students:
  • Online Med Ed
  • Picmonics
  • MedNet
Best Website for medical students to get regular news and updates:
This website provides a complete and informative guide for MBBS Admission in top universities of India and abroad. This website also provide information about the fee structure, courses, eligibility, scholarships provided ans the procedure to get admission.

I have recently started studying for the GSSE (primary surgical exam in Australia) and have been using Primary Anatomy, a great resource for the anatomy component of the exam with thousands of practice questions and mock exams. It does come at a small cost, but if it gets me through this exam it is totally worth it!

The website can be found at www.primaryanatomy.com

I presume it would also be useful for most surgical / anatomy exams, the content is based on the RACS syllabus and core text Last’s Anatomy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for surgical physiology and pathology?

Add Zamzar to misc; free file conversion website--excellent

Hello everyone! I'm trying to gather information on how accessible resources are to medical professionals (or medical students), and how useful they may be during work. I am working on a thesis that deals with the healthcare system in the UK from the doctor's point of view and would love if people who are currently studying or working in healthcare could answer this survey for me please! It will only take a minute but would help me so much in what I am trying to do
1f642.png
:)
1f642.png
:)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/D3CCYYN

Hey, this is a great free diagnostic tool that also helped me a lot with history & physical and even plan and crucial lab tests...
check it out: diagnose.kahun.com

Check out Huppert's Notes - Pathophysiology and Clinical Pearls for Internal Medicine

I use MedCalX as my preferred calculator in a day-to-day basis. I've been using it ever since med school and it still works: ‎MedCalX

Also, to run codes, I use Code Leader. It's got a built-in code timer and helps you keep track of what's going on for your documentation later. It also provides recommendations during a code to help things run smoothly: ‎Code Leader

We are developing a virtual case conference for medical students in the US and in India to discuss interesting disease presentations and treatment plans. We hope this program will improve healthcare relationships and education in both countries. We also hope to simulate a global health experience, especially during the pandemic. We have no vested financial interest in its success. The virtual conference will be conducted via Zoom and will likely be for one hour once monthly.

The following link provides more insight into our proposed program:

If you are interested in participating, please use the links below to sign up.

This is the most useful app that helps me with studying pathology Voka.io
Available on Google Play and App Store. Hope it'll be useful

I see a lot of random apps on here, but not too many ones typical students/residents used on a daily basis.

Clinical Rotations Starter Pack in 2022 (All Free or close to it outside uptodate/dynamed which your school should pay for):

In no particular order...

1.) Journal Club: Indexable overviews of all major landmark studies with a search function. It's a great way to practice evidence based medicine and keep up with pompous people who insist on quoting study names instead of bottom lines.
2.) MedCalc: Also has a search function. You can search Rhabdomyolysis and learn that there's a McMahon score. It's a nice way to buff up your H&P. Like a thesaurus, make sure you think before applying random clinical scores to things or you'll look really superficial. I find it more helpful to understand for a condition and which factors lead to higher risk and incorporate that into my clinical reasoning.
3.) Epic: If your school uses it, get it on your phone and learn to use it. It's going to get more common. It will make rounds much easier. Try to start using your phone instead of the scut sheet when possible. Try presenting from the H&P in the chart instead of your paper.
4.) USPSTF: It calculates your patient's primary care needs based off their demographics in clinic if your EMR doesn't already do it for you.
5.) UptoDate/Dynamed/etc. Just use for whatever your school pays for. This should be your "go-to" or medical encyclopedia for everything. Try not to have multiple ones.
6.) GoodRx: Gives you practical costs and shapes/colors of pills.
7.) UWorld so you can do questions on the fly.

8.) You'll notice what's not on here: Epocrates, MedScape, Sanford Guide, etc. All of these are paid prescriptions that offer what UptoDate/Dynamed will already provide you perhaps packaged a little differently to make you think it's better.. Learn how to access the same information using UptoDate/Dynamed. It's there... The key is to find one resource and get good at using it for efficiencies sake and your wallet's sake.

Honorable Mentions:

9.) Human Dx. It's a kind of cool collection of interactive cases with teaching points. It can help with clinical reasoning, but isn't really going to remediate anyone who's struggling as it's more about detailed medical knowledge than fundamentals.
10.) Clinical Sense. Can help with practical knowledge of common scenarios and has some role in remediation for struggling residents but still not nearly as comprehensive or detailed as I would like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users