Good online dating services for health professionals

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting this thread as an attempt to help a dear friend of mine.

My friend is presently specializing in oral surgery (first year rez) and has had a really hard time meeting men as she has little spare time to do so with her crazy on call schedule. I told her not to get discouraged because I have known of a number of people, including doctors, who have gotten married with folks they have met online.

I personally don't know much about good websites for health professionals but did some googling and came across the following:

http://www.medicalloveconnection.com/medicallove/about.asp

http://www.alovelinksplus.com/dating/professionals.htm

I really want to help this friend. She is only 26 years old but her mother keeps pressuring her about finding someone.

Has anyone in this forum met their significant other through an online service or known of others who have done so? If so, which ones ?

I personally know of one doctor who got divorced over a year ago and started online dating. A few months ago, he announced that he was engaged to a pharmacist he had met on an online dating service even though he never thought he would remarry!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have her use Jdate, whatever you do.

The men on Jdate are just really lame. They even post pictures of themselves with other women.

Jdate is a Jewish online dating service.

I don't get it, since there are plenty of non-lame Jewish men on general-audience sites like Match.com, I don't get why the ones on a specifically Jewish service would be such jerks.

On the other hand, Jdate has lots of really hot, together women so if you're a man then I heartily recommend Jdate.

thirdunity said:
Don't have her use Jdate, whatever you do.

The men on Jdate are just really lame. They even post pictures of themselves with other women.

Jdate is a Jewish online dating service.

I don't get it, since there are plenty of non-lame Jewish men on general-audience sites like Match.com, I don't get why the ones on a specifically Jewish service would be such jerks.

On the other hand, Jdate has lots of really hot, together women so if you're a man then I heartily recommend Jdate.

My friend is not Jewish nor is she particularly interested in dating Jewish men. She is looking specifically for health professionals . Her mother wants her to marry with a nice church going family oriented Christian or Catholic boy and is disappointed that my friend has chosen to become an oral surgeon as oppose to settling down. My friend is very ambitious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smilemaker100 said:
My friend is not Jewish nor is she interested in dating Jewish men. She is looking specifically for health professionals . Her mother wants her to marry with a nice church going Christian or Catholic boy and is disappointed that my friend has chosen to become an oral surgeon as oppose to settling down. My friend is very ambitious.

Why not Eharmony.com? This seems very geared toward Christians.

This comment made me smile - "is not Jewish nor is she interested in dating Jewish men. She is looking specifically for health professionals."

For a moment, what went through my head was,
"wow, has to be a health professional, not Jewish; our profession really IS a religion to some of us."

Reactions: 1 user
thirdunity said:
Why not Eharmony.com? This seems very geared toward Christians.

This comment made me smile - "is not Jewish nor is she interested in dating Jewish men. She is looking specifically for health professionals."

For a moment, what went through my head was,
"wow, has to be a health professional, not Jewish; our profession really IS a religion to some of us."

So how would you know about BOTH men and women on the Jdate site? Do you swing both ways?

I am presently online with my friend and told her maybe she should check out :

http://www.millionairematch.com/

LOL ! Money can't buy love? Who knows? But my friend is discouraged by the fact that they kind of segregate you in the below $100,000 salary category and above $100,000 salary category. She won't be making the big bucks for a while. She is in a 6 year OMF residency program! Maybe money can buy love...we'll have to wait and see. ;)

I meet my fiance on E-harmony.

The sites I know people have had luck with are match.com and Craig's List (www.craigslist.com). Most people don't think much about Craig's List for personals, but if you're in a big city that links off the main site they have a personal ad system that's free. The only problem is you can get lots of junk because it's free. Nevertheless, I've known a couple people who have had different degrees of success there.

sunnyjohn said:
I meet my fiance on E-harmony.

Oh, how sweet! Yet another case to support meeting someone on a match site. I'll tell my friend there is hope for her yet! ;)

So how long were you chatting online before you met? And how long did you date before getting engaged?

Smilemaker100 said:
So how would you know about BOTH men and women on the Jdate site? Do you swing both ways?

I wanted to see what I was up against.

I *do* swing both ways, but that's neither here nor there since JDate pretty much only caters to people seeking an opposite sex partner.

Smilemaker100 said:
Oh, how sweet! Yet another case to support meeting someone on a match site. I'll tell my friend there is hope for her yet! ;)

So how long were you chatting online before you met? And how long did you date before getting engaged?

We were matched on July 2.

We met face to face on Labor day.

We were engaged by the end of the weekend.

We are saving for a house and the wedding. Lack of $ is the only reason we are not married.

Quite frankly, aside from my father, I think he is the most wonderful man in the world. We have our issues, but were so well matched that sometimes it is scary! :p

Hey Smilemaker100,

Is your friend cute? I am an orthodontic rez... I'm a single guy, late 20's and wouldn't mind exchanging emails with your friend. PM me if you want to play the Matchmaker.

BlueToothHunter said:
Hey Smilemaker100,

Is your friend cute? I am an orthodontic rez... I'm a single guy, late 20's and wouldn't mind exchanging emails with your friend. PM me if you want to play the Matchmaker.

I told my friend about you. She wants me to ask you some questions and get to know about you before communicating with you, if you don't mind . :) I want to make sure you are not a wacko with multiple personalities preying on innocent girls on the internet ;)

Jesus Christ, can you cut the "friend" bull**** and just say you wanna be banged (bung?) by a doctor?

Members don't see this ad :)
CoffeeMug said:
Jesus Christ, can you cut the "friend" bull**** and just say you wanna be banged (bung?) by a doctor?

LOL it's banged---and hopefully it's a doctor that rocks the bed well.

CoffeeMug said:

I am dead serious. I am really referring to my friend and NOT myself. I am dating someone presently who I met the "traditional way." I don't believe in dating people from the net. :) You sound very ascerbic/sarcastic. What's your problem?

And by the way, most doctors/dentists turn me off. I find a lot of them to be arrogant. Most guys I have dated were not even in the health field!

shivalrous said:
LOL it's banged---and hopefully it's a doctor that rocks the bed well.

What the hell? It's banged? You obviously know nothing about me and a truly CHIVALROUS man would never talk in such fashion.

Smilemaker100 said:
What the hell? It's banged? You obviously know nothing about me and a truly CHIVALROUS man would never talk in such fashion.

You need to get your panties out of a bunch. I wasn't even responding to you. You're not that special. The joke was if the term was banged or bung. Seriously, get a life and loosen up.

I'm not the one talking about matrimonial boards or getting laid online....you're trying to judge my character based on my posts? You really need help.

shivalrous said:
You need to get your panties out of a bunch. I wasn't even responding to you. You're not that special. The joke was if the term was banged or bung. Seriously, get a life and loosen up.

I'm not the one talking about matrimonial boards or getting laid online....you're trying to judge my character based on my posts? You really need help.

I haven't read any of your posts other than the one you posted here.

Smilemaker100 said:
I haven't read any of your posts other than the one you posted here.

:sleep:

sunnyjohn said:
We were matched on July 2.

We met face to face on Labor day.

We were engaged by the end of the weekend.

We are saving for a house and the wedding. Lack of $ is the only reason we are not married.

Quite frankly, aside form my father, I think he is the most wonderful man in the world. We have our issues, but were so well matched that sometimes it is scary! :p

That's so cute :) Congrats! And I wish you all the best. It's nice to hear of people who still believe in the institution of marriage...like my mommy and daddy, who after more than 30 years are still very much in love :love:

shivalrous said:
I think this world is becoming a very sad place. Seems like no one believes in friendship anymore...I thought it was So Sweet of my good friend Smilemaker100 to help me out but then she was accused of wanting to be banged by doctors...Seriously, i am left with no words>>>Why should you be so nasty? seriously...don't you believe that some people can still be honnest. Shouldn't you be sure of something before placing accusations?You don't even know smilemaker100. If you have your mind in the gutter 24/7, not everyone does. There are still decent people out there...

p.s. Bluetoothhunter, i think u are interesting.

Yeah, it's *really* hard to make another account :)

CoffeeMug said:

Nancy is not a fictional caracter. We went to dental school together. Nancy, see what I mean? These people are wacko!

I don't have the "leisure" time to have multiple accounts as I find more creative ways of dispensing my energy. I do suspect one person on sdn having multiple personalities. I don't know how he does it. I, personally, am not that type of person. I am who I say I am.

Nancy , what kind of proof should we give them?Maybe you should post something in your mother tongue! LOL!

Geez! Maybe the reason why you are accusing me of impersonating someone else is because YOU do that yourself, CoffeeMug!

CoffeeMug said:
OK coffeemug... You KNOW that me and smilemaker100 are two different persons...Just admit it... you didn't know what else to write :eek:

Actually I have four separate accounts here and all of them are famous. Can you guess who I really am? :D

If you are Catholic and would like your hopeful to share your faith, Catholic Match is a great place to go. There are forums for folks to communicate which helps to get to know each other, similar to this one. Is my favorite place to chat, whether I end up with a date or not!

CoffeeMug said:
Actually I have four separate accounts here and all of them are famous. Can you guess who I really am? :D

Does it matter? :rolleyes: I don't care.

Based on your replies to my posts, you sound like a very acerbic individual. I truly feel sorry for someone who always has something bitter/negative to say . It must mean that there is some form of disappointment or sadness in your life which you then project onto others :( .

Psychology 101: Those who project joy, are joyful. :thumbup: Those who project negativity and sarcasm onto others have those elements prevailing in their own lives. :thumbdown:

*hugs* of condolence for your anguished soul +pity+

nancydmd2004 said:
OK coffeemug... You KNOW that me and smilemaker100 are two different persons...Just admit it... you didn't know what else to write :eek:
The only way I can think of to prove this is with a threesome. :eek:

toofache32 said:
The only way I can think of to prove this is with a threesome. :eek:

So Nancy, CoffeeMug, do you want to meet up? LOL! ;) :laugh: Hope to see you this weekend when you're in town , Nancita :) It's been 9 months !

I'll take good care of you if you take good care of me :)

CoffeeMug said:
I'll take good care of you if you take good care of me :)

What's this all about? Is sdn the new matchmaking service for student doctors and doctors? :rolleyes:

Are you trying to propose something?

I am merely responding to a threesome proposition. As far fetched as such a promise may be on an anonymous medium like the internet, a reasonable man simply cannot afford to not take a shot.

Incidentally, I am not a doctor or a student doctor. Nor do I plan to be. I'm a software developer and am quite happy with my career and the subculture that comes with it.

CoffeeMug said:
I am merely responding to a threesome proposition. As far fetched as such a promise may be on an anonymous medium like the internet, a reasonable man simply cannot afford to not take a shot.

Incidentally, I am not a doctor or a student doctor. Nor do I plan to be. I'm a software developer and am quite happy with my career and the subculture that comes with it.

LOL! You are a MADMAN! Wake up! This is the internet where fantasy does not equal reality. Dream on, madman! :eek:

You say you are not a student doctor or doctor but a sofware developer? You sound more like a "predator". ;)

toofache32 said:
like threesomes? I should have been a CS major...

LOL! Threesomes are not my style. Nor do I believe in meeting people off the net. I think I would most likely be disappointed.

CoffeeMug sounds like a very unhappy person (man or woman?). I hope he/she finds happiness.

Smilemaker100 said:
Wake up! This is the internet where fantasy does not equal reality.
No sh#t?

toofache32 said:
like threesomes? I should have been a CS major...
Medical school people seem to have a tremendous level of arrogance that not even CS people can match. Success in getting in and out of medical school is really a function of ability to follow instructions to the letter, ability to blindly follow a well laid out path to a goal of questionable merit and inability to question the means of achieving a goal. Seven years to become a licensed professional *after* four years of college? Come on! Success in CS requires the exact opposite of these qualities which is what attracts me to its subculture.

CoffeeMug said:

So I am not really a doctor or student doctor either. I might as well confess it now. I am a professional ballet dancer! :laugh:

What's the real deal, CoffeeMug? What's so fascinating about the internet "subculture"? Do you spend any time in the real world?

CoffeeMug said:
Medical school people seem to have a tremendous level of arrogance that not even CS people can match. Success in getting in and out of medical school is really a function of ability to follow instructions to the letter, ability to blindly follow a well laid out path to a goal of questionable merit and inability to question the means of achieving a goal. Seven years to become a licensed professional *after* four years of college? Come on! Success in CS requires the exact opposite of these qualities which is what attracts me to its subculture.

I think I have figured out why CoffeeMug is always so bitter. Could you possibly be a medical school reject ?

I'm not a medical school reject and I'm not bitter. My (currently M2) girlfriend showed me this forum and IMO its entertainment value falls somewhere between the girlscouts forums and the conservative christians forums (from least to most entertaining).

I didn't say I enjoy the internet subculture, I said I enjoy software development subculture. Yes, this includes real life. Some more info.

CoffeeMug said:
I didn't say I enjoy the internet subculture, I said I enjoy software development subculture. Yes, this includes real life. Some more info.

I wonder if you wouldn't be interested in my friends' annual "hacker convention", Notacon. Their site seems to be down and they're out of town without internet access so I'm sure it won't be back for a few days but here's the Wikipedia entry about the con: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notacon

CoffeeMug said:
I'm not a medical school reject and I'm not bitter. My (currently M2) girlfriend showed me this forum and IMO its entertainment value falls somewhere between the girlscouts forums and the conservative christians forums (from least to most entertaining).

I personally can't stand being behind the computer screen for a given period of time. I can't sit still for too long. I am a proactive person and I need to be around people. I only use computers for the basics : word for windows, Excel, Corel Draw, internet, chatting with some friends online, software used at the clinic I work at.

One of my brothers on the other hand, is the prototypical computer geek. :rolleyes: He is a future "Bill Gates" in the making . :D He spends all his time reading up on computer programming as well as developing some new computer languages. I'll see if he has ever heard of your books. He is a "walking encyclopedia" - not only in techno developments but in mathematics as well ( I guess that is inevitable as computers and mathematics are intertwined). You can ask him just about ANYTHING about computers and he is sure to have come across it.

There is a difference between being a hacker and the "socially inadequate computer geek" vision of the press. It's definitely true that there is a lot of overlap. A lot of good hackers are, however, members of the human race and know what is going on in the real world.
Alan Cox

alison_in_oh said:
I wonder if you wouldn't be interested in my friends' annual "hacker convention", Notacon. Their site seems to be down and they're out of town without internet access so I'm sure it won't be back for a few days but here's the Wikipedia entry about the con: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notacon

Thanks, Ali Baba, I'll tell my brother about that convention. It might interest him. I for one find all that techno mumbo jumbo boring. Whenever I need to know something about computers, I ask my bro, the "Almighty One" of the computer world :D

I am a female in somewhat of a similar situation as the oral surgeon who started this thread. Except I'm in dental school. My parents keep pressurizing me to get married and I don't have much time to do aggressive searching. If you know of any good websites for health professionals please do let me know.

bluearmy said:
I am a female in somewhat of a similar situation as the oral surgeon who started this thread. Except I'm in dental school. My parents keep pressurizing me to get married and I don't have much time to do aggressive searching. If you know of any good websites for health professionals please do let me know.

I am not an oral surgeon. I am a dentist who posted this thread to help a friend specializing in OMF.

If you're still in school, I would keep my head in the books. Relationships during dental school can distract you. That can all wait when you finish dental school. There are plenty of fish in the sea girl! Go fishing when you graduate!

Smilemaker100, you have issues.

Anyways, even if your imaginary friend Nancy really needed a boyfriend, I'm sure any "oral surgeon in 1st year rez" would be competent/able enough to handle their relationships on their own.

bluearmy said:
...My parents keep pressurizing me to get married and I don't have much time to do aggressive searching....
Why do you care if your parents want you to be married? Or better yet, why do they want you to be married? Marriage for the sake of being married is an obvious dead-end, in my opinion.

well, I realize that at some point in my life I have to get married and it might as well be now. I'm not getting any younger..
bottom line... if u know of any good dating agencies for health professionals let me know.

bluearmy said:
well, I realize that at some point in my life I have to get married and it might as well be now. I'm not getting any younger..
bottom line... if u know of any good dating agencies for health professionals let me know.

Most men spell trouble. :thumbdown: We know which "head" they think with most of the time. They don't know the concept of true love or romance. Concentrate on what's important for you now- your career.

Marriage is an institution that was originally created to protect the welfare of women and children. I don't think most men can be monogamous unless you count "serial monogamous". :laugh: As women, we don't need men to survive anymore. We don't need men for our happiness either.

You HAVE to get married? That is pathetically sad. You can get married at any age. The more desparate you act, the worst your choice in men.