Good Introductory Psychology Textbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gladlyfocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am unsure if you are aware, but the MCAT is changing and is adding a Psychology section to the test. I took an introductory psychology course more than 10 years ago and (no surprise) completely forgot everything I was taught unfortunately. I plan on taking the new MCAT and wanted to prepare myself. Thought I'd ask on the psychology forum what you guys think is some of the best introductory psychology textbooks that I can get my hands on?

Edit: Annndd...if you know any sociology introductory books... :)

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We used 'Psychology' by G. Neil Martin, Neil R. Carlson, and William Buskist in my Psych 101 course. It's a pleasant (i.e., not too dry) read. Also, I used it to study for the psych GRE test and found it to be of adequate help/preparation.

Reactions: 1 user
I used Scott Lilienfeld's "Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding" intro book for my students. The latest edition will set you back about $200, but you can probably get the previous edition for a bit cheaper. I've used both and there weren't that many changes between the both of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Psychology by David Myers

Reactions: 1 users
I second the David Myers one. He's kind of known as the "go-to" intro psych author. I've used it to teach intro to psych multiple times and it is very comprehensive and there are plentiful resources online to go with it and assist in your learning. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The Ciccarelli textbook is also good.

Thank you all for your time! I'll check them out, your responses are definitely helpful! :)

If you want dry but concise, you might try to find some of the study materials for the GRE psychology subject test- material from a couple of years ago would prob be cheap but still give a good overview. Depends on how much time you have. I would only go that route if you're pressed for time, because the more engaging the materials is of course the better you will remember it of course.