Goljan Audio Clarification - what to use with them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beefy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have the Goljan Audio files, and am planning to use them for my pathology studying for the step 1. I also have the Goljan GENERAL PATH and SYSTEMIC PATH notes (about 300 pgs each).

I was wondering if it is necessary for me to get Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology book ( I hear that it follows the audio ~ 90%) or whether the GENERAL/SYSTEMIC PATH notes that I have go along with the audio better/just as well?

I also have Pathology BRS... so i am posing this question before I order Goljan Rapid Review, as many people have recommended it, but I don't want to end up with too many books if it's not necessary..

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have the Goljan Audio files, and am planning to use them for my pathology studying for the step 1. I also have the Goljan GENERAL PATH and SYSTEMIC PATH notes (about 300 pgs each).

I was wondering if it is necessary for me to get Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology book ( I hear that it follows the audio ~ 90%) or whether the GENERAL/SYSTEMIC PATH notes that I have go along with the audio better/just as well?

I also have Pathology BRS... so i am posing this question before I order Goljan Rapid Review, as many people have recommended it, but I don't want to end up with too many books if it's not necessary..

Thank you

the audio, the lecture notes, and brs pathology are more than enough. those are the three i'm using for path.. i removed the binding from first aid 2006, had it put into a binder, and am annotating it with those three sources.

I am actually using both. The audio is when I am working out and driving, while the book is for actual studying. In addition, the audio is sometimes funny and helps you retain information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really think RR Pathology is a very good investment. It has lots of color slides that aren't found in other textbooks and study guides.

Rapid Review Pathology is a good book, and worth getting IMHO. It contains alot of pictures, margin notes, blue boxes with clinical correlates, as well as lots of tables, charts, and diagrams. The outline format is quicker to read through. I think it's also supposed to be useful for step 2. It follows the audio lectures pretty nicely, and many folks here have found this book to be very helpful. (Goljan is also a co-author of Rapid Review Biochemistry, if you want to check that out as well).

I agree completely. I've been reading RR Path throughout 2nd year with classes and have taken notes accordingly. Now that I'm listening to his audio, I like to try and keep track with what he's saying and where it is in the book. The idea being, in a couple months I can just read through the book and have everything he said there for me, all marked up(easier said than done obviously). Not a bad way to follow the lectures in my opinion..keeps me focused. But try not to read so much when listening b/c you'll totally get distracted from what he's actually saying. Use the pause key..it works wonders.

Well, the one thing you may get out of looking through his notes are the actual examples and questions he goes over during his lecture tapes. All of them aren't included in the RR Path, however it has a number of very good images that illustrates some of the points he makes (especially since you can't see his slides).

figure if you're going to illegally obtain the audio lectures, might as well throw him a few bucks for his book. The book correlates really well with the audio lectures, and is extremely well written.

I bought Rapid Review so that I wouldn't feel bad about illegally using his audio files but in all honestly I think the Systemic Path notes are way better than RR and they follow the audio...

I will apologize in advance for the ignorance of this post, but I'm a lost as to what is what, and I really can't figure out how anyone could use the notes to follow the audio.

High Yield Questions for USMLE (36 pages of numbered factoids)

Integrated Pathology Notes (59 pages)

High Yield Notes Pathology (100 pages)

when people say follow along with the audio with the notes are you referring to these materials? and if so, specifically which ones?

I think someone out there has taken notes on all the audio files so you can now follow along with the notes/"transcripts" - or review over the notes to rehash everything that has been discussed in the lectures very quickly

seems like it would be really helpful since he goes over so many important concepts and it's hard to remember it all just listening to it

I will apologize in advance for the ignorance of this post, but I'm a lost as to what is what, and I really can't figure out how anyone could use the notes to follow the audio.

High Yield Questions for USMLE (36 pages of numbered factoids)

Integrated Pathology Notes (59 pages)

High Yield Notes Pathology (100 pages)

when people say follow along with the audio with the notes are you referring to these materials? and if so, specifically which ones?

Someone mentioned once that those audio files and notes are from the 90s...so I would definitely use his book over the handouts for following along. Yeah, you have to flip around to keep up with him, but it's worth it to know you're looking at something up to date.

I started out with BRS path, the major downside is there aren't any images. RR path has some really nice ones.

i have heard that the word-for-word lecture notes are supposed to be phenomenal tho - the information is just all very essential and very well explained.. doesn't matter that the guy explained it in 2003 or whenever

Someone mentioned once that those audio files and notes are from the 90s...so I would definitely use his book over the handouts for following along. Yeah, you have to flip around to keep up with him, but it's worth it to know you're looking at something up to date.

I started out with BRS path, the major downside is there aren't any images. RR path has some really nice ones.

I dont think the lectures are from the 1990s. In the pulmonary chapter he talks about the increased incidence of asbestosis in NY "after the towers collapsed".

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think the lectures are from the 1990s. In the pulmonary chapter he talks about the increased incidence of asbestosis in NY "after the towers collapsed".

Not only is he a path god with a hypertrophic external anal sphincter, he's also psychic... the legend grows...

:)

it's a tough call because the RR book really goes too in depth on some topics, like heme/onc (superdetailed lymphoma subtypes should be an all time winner in the low yield category). Goljan likes to claim "it's useful for step 2 too!" which is a hint that there's a bunch of stuff that ain't step 1 material. On the other hand I didn't like the notes much, so my advice is to use RR path and use your intuition for when some information isn't Step 1.

definitely not from 1990s, don't know how long he's been out of Kaplan,
but the audio files on the web i only found 1 version of them so i suppose its the only one floating around (and one that the ebay arsemunchers are $selling)

I think they're somewhere between 2000 and 2003

the RR Path book is very nicely organized, easy to read.

the PDFs of his notes contain ALOT more details and are harder to read.

I used all the audio as well as his notes during my 2nd year. There is definately alot of material and at this point I dont suggest trying to start the audio notes. But if you do they do go along exactly with the audio, with a descent amount of extra material. About the only thing i think is out of date is the little bit of pharm included. If i were you I would just buy RR path.

chuck norris knows nothing of nephritic vs nephrotic!!!!

Chuck norris can make the neprhitic syndrome go to the nephrotic syndrome just by looking at it. ARF if he rubs his beard against it.

chuck norris knows nothing of nephritic vs nephrotic!!!!

Ok I have all his audio and all goljan's notes, but when i listen to his audio, I'm so lost in his notes. Which of his lecture notes follow his audio? I've listened to his "general pathology" and "system path" notes and just get lost when listening to him, i find myself jumping around too much between pages. :(

Do the "integrative pathology notes" follow his audio better?

Don't worry people I'm def gonna buy his RR path book, heard its a must from this forum.:D

Ok I have all his audio and all goljan's notes, but when i listen to his audio, I'm so lost in his notes. Which of his lecture notes follow his audio? I've listened to his "general pathology" and "system path" notes and just get lost when listening to him, i find myself jumping around too much between pages. :(

Do the "integrative pathology notes" follow his audio better?

Don't worry people I'm def gonna buy his RR path book, heard its a must from this forum.:D
I have no idea what to tell you with any of the notes. But if you're going to use the RR path book anyway, why not just get it now and use it all along?

just wanted to know b.c there is a big hype about these notes n audio
I know, but he follows the book pretty well; even several of the pictures he's showing are in there. Plus, it's from 2007 instead of from 2002. :)

Maybe its just me....but does anyone listen to Goljan audio in their sleep?

I listen while I'm awake too, its just maybe if I listen to it while I'm asleep, I'll get the info subconsciously.:rolleyes:

I listen while I'm awake too, its just maybe if I listen to it while I'm asleep, I'll get the info subconsciously.:rolleyes:

I thought about it but I don't want my dreams to be more ******-** than they already are.

Speaking from someone who had this GOD of a man come to their school, and witnessed him arm-wrestle the biggest guy in our class and he WON...I def say BUY HIS BOOK!! Several of our third years have already taken their step 2 and passed w flying colors. They said the book is extremely on target for that too. I also have the audio, path notes, all three listed above in post, AND I was able to see the "supposed typed out Path notes" and honestly they still left some stuff out.
Goljan is an amazing , awesome, really caring guy and seriously, the man is brilliant...(No I dont want to have his babies)...but seriously get the book ...ASAP....listen to the lectures when you can and they reinforce what youve just read. You really dont need the typed out verbatim notes to sit and read while he talks. In fact, at our school he stressed NOT taking notes and listening to him so you actually grasp the concepts. The 3/5 days that I took his advice...I must say I actually retained a lot. Hes GREAT! The book is great and you get student consult with it and can download all the pics, print them out and put them neatly in your FA binder. As well as some of the nice charts he has for quick reviews right before the step. :) And no Im not getting paid to advertise for him. But seriously if any of you have been lucky enough to have him at your school....hes just crazy smart! My 2 cents...

Speaking from someone who had this GOD of a man come to their school, and witnessed him arm-wrestle the biggest guy in our class and he WON...I def say BUY HIS BOOK!! Several of our third years have already taken their step 2 and passed w flying colors. They said the book is extremely on target for that too. I also have the audio, path notes, all three listed above in post, AND I was able to see the "supposed typed out Path notes" and honestly they still left some stuff out.
Goljan is an amazing , awesome, really caring guy and seriously, the man is brilliant...(No I dont want to have his babies)...but seriously get the book ...ASAP....listen to the lectures when you can and they reinforce what youve just read. You really dont need the typed out verbatim notes to sit and read while he talks. In fact, at our school he stressed NOT taking notes and listening to him so you actually grasp the concepts. The 3/5 days that I took his advice...I must say I actually retained a lot. Hes GREAT! The book is great and you get student consult with it and can download all the pics, print them out and put them neatly in your FA binder. As well as some of the nice charts he has for quick reviews right before the step. :) And no Im not getting paid to advertise for him. But seriously if any of you have been lucky enough to have him at your school....hes just crazy smart! My 2 cents...

Did he mention anything about his lecture audio files floating around in the web?

Hey,
Actually...yes he did. He said that it bothered him when you can get his stuff for under 40$ for both Books and that if we had all worked hard for something we wouldnt want someone else making money off of it and people stealing it either. He said you'll see when you get out there and youve worked hard to be good at something and get all the facts straight and people try to rip you off. He was very serious about it and was displeased. Thus we were not allowed to have anything in our rooms with us minus paper and books...so there was no chance of recording.

Hey,
Actually...yes he did. He said that it bothered him when you can get his stuff for under 40$ for both Books and that if we had all worked hard for something we wouldnt want someone else making money off of it and people stealing it either. He said you'll see when you get out there and youve worked hard to be good at something and get all the facts straight and people try to rip you off. He was very serious about it and was displeased. Thus we were not allowed to have anything in our rooms with us minus paper and books...so there was no chance of recording.

He still gave you advice on how to grasp his lectures though. He seems "accepting" that people are going to use it even though he frowns that they do.

His lectures are so popular that what he ought to do is put out a legal copy of them bound up with his book and add an extra $10 to the price. If he thinks his book sales are good now, adding the audio would really make them go through the roof. Seriously, he's totally sitting on a gold mine here. If any of you know him, you can tell him that I would be happy to be his marketer. ;)

His lectures are so popular that what he ought to do is put out a legal copy of them bound up with his book and add an extra $10 to the price. If he thinks his book sales are good now, adding the audio would really make them go through the roof. Seriously, he's totally sitting on a gold mine here. If any of you know him, you can tell him that I would be happy to be his marketer. ;)

Tru...but how books w/ audio would you have to sell in order to equal what people are paying to go to these review courses....for Falcon Review it is $4750+ per person.:eek:

I think Dr. Goljan is making way more money this way....

Tru...but how books w/ audio would you have to sell in order to equal what people are paying to go to these review courses....for Falcon Review it is $4750+ per person.:eek:

I think Dr. Goljan is making way more money this way....
I'm not saying he should stop teaching the classes. I'm saying that right now, hundreds (maybe thousands?) of people are listening to his audios and not paying him a cent for them. Most of these people will never pay to take a Falcon course, or any other USMLE course for that matter. He may forbid his current students to tape current lectures, but there's no putting this genie back in the bottle now that the lectures are out there and so many people are using them. In other words, since he can't beat 'em, he'd be better off to join 'em. I think that most people who are using his lectures would be willing to pay $10 for a cleaned-up version that follows his path book chapter by chapter. He could even do a second CD to go with his biochem book. They'd both be big sellers, and everyone would win. He'd get paid for his audios, and all med students would get legal access to them when they bought his books. People who want to pay to hear him live for $5000 could still do that. :)

I'm not saying he should stop teaching the classes. I'm saying that right now, hundreds (maybe thousands?) of people are listening to his audios and not paying him a cent for them. Most of these people will never pay to take a Falcon course, or any other USMLE course for that matter. He may forbid his current students to tape current lectures, but there's no putting this genie back in the bottle now that the lectures are out there and so many people are using them. In other words, since he can't beat 'em, he'd be better off to join 'em. I think that most people who are using his lectures would be willing to pay $10 for a cleaned-up version that follows his path book chapter by chapter. He could even do a second CD to go with his biochem book. They'd both be big sellers, and everyone would win. He'd get paid for his audios, and all med students would get legal access to them when they bought his books. People who want to pay to hear him live for $5000 could still do that. :)

Makes sense...but you would still have some pirates out there burning his CDs and distributing them to his classmates for free...just like the music industry...but that's another story....:rolleyes:

But I agree it would be nice to have a cleaned-up audio version that followed his book and the biochem book too! But leave in the jokes....I kind of like those in there because it makes pathology fun...:D

Makes sense...but you would still have some pirates out there burning his CDs and distributing them to his classmates for free...just like the music industry...but that's another story....:rolleyes:

But I agree it would be nice to have a cleaned-up audio version that followed his book and the biochem book too! But leave in the jokes....I kind of like those in there because it makes pathology fun...:D
Yeah, but if he bundled the CD with the book and just charged another $10, people couldn't get around it. As it is, everyone and their roommate in my class has a copy of his lectures. A lot of people also have his book (I love RR path - I don't get much out of listening to stuff, which is why I never went to lectures), so he could just kill two birds with one stone.

EDIT - Falcon Review really is $4900! who actually pays for that??

Yeah, but if he bundled the CD with the book and just charged another $10, people couldn't get around it. As it is, everyone and their roommate in my class has a copy of his lectures. A lot of people also have his book (I love RR path - I don't get much out of listening to stuff, which is why I never went to lectures), so he could just kill two birds with one stone.

EDIT - Falcon Review really is $4900! who actually pays for that??

You can get around it if one student bought the bundle and then started burning his CD. The only downside is that the people would not have the book. But like you said some benefit from just reading and others just benefit from listening. I'm a little of both....just depends who is lecturing? :)

And yes people actually pay that much for the review. They have a lot of money to burn, are in desperate need of some help, and they are willing to pay a premium price for that. Biggest waste of money and time if you ask me....

Hahaha.. You know you are in med school when you have to listen to lectures in your sleep.

You can get around it if one student bought the bundle and then started burning his CD. The only downside is that the people would not have the book. But like you said some benefit from just reading and others just benefit from listening. I'm a little of both....just depends who is lecturing? :)
Of course people could just burn the CD, but then he'd be in the same situation he is now and no worse. He'd also gain a CD sale with every book sale, which he doesn't have now. So it's a neutral/win situation. I bet more people buy his book than listen to his files illegally.

Of course people could just burn the CD, but then he'd be in the same situation he is now and no worse. He'd also gain a CD sale with every book sale, which he doesn't have now. So it's a neutral/win situation. I bet more people buy his book than listen to his files illegally.

I don't think Goljan is losing anything. I don't think people listen to his audio files as a substitute to taking a prep course. For students who think they need a prep course, they'll take one regardless of whether they have Goljan's audio or not. His illegal audio is actually helping him because he is becoming a fav among med students and that only helps boost his book sales or inc the number of students who enroll in his course.

Just a quick question about Goljan audio. His final lecture number 5-6 CNS special senses ends abruptly in mid sentence at 41:07. Is it just my version or does everyone's version do that?

Just a quick question about Goljan audio. His final lecture number 5-6 CNS special senses ends abruptly in mid sentence at 41:07. Is it just my version or does everyone's version do that?

Mine does that too.

There is also another lecture that ended in mid-sentence too, can't remember which one...

Rapid Review Pathology is a good book, and worth getting IMHO. It contains alot of pictures, margin notes, blue boxes with clinical correlates, as well as lots of tables, charts, and diagrams. The outline format is quicker to read through. I think it's also supposed to be useful for step 2. It follows the audio lectures pretty nicely, and many folks here have found this book to be very helpful. (Goljan is also a co-author of Rapid Review Biochemistry, if you want to check that out as well).

Also, if you do get RR Path, there is this post which you might find helpful:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...21&postcount=1

Hope this helps, good luck!
So just wanted to make sure we're talking about the 2nd edition.

Does anyone know the correct order of the audio lectures? I'm getting confused with the numbers in the front of each file.

bump for Powel...annndddd:

So I have the goljan audio, and I got the general and systemic notes. Then I also found out about these slides and RR...which began to confuse me...in addition to my school changing path books.

Basically, I would like to use BRS path to take notes during class in since I have been a BRS user all along. My school is now using Basic Pathology (medium Robbins) instead of Big Robbins....I will go along with the school on that.

Then I have the goljan audio, which I would like to use, but is it too much to also have goljan audio, slides, and notes (or RR in place of notes/slides)?