Going into senior year of high school

mayonaise18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'll be starting my senior year of high school in the fall, and I've been thinking about what I want to do as a career and the classes that I'll take in college (and what will give me the best chances for med school admission in the future). I've settled on becoming an Ob/Gyn, but I have a couple questions regarding college classes/majors.
  • Is double majoring in biochemistry and spanish (with possibly a minor in neuroscience) too much? I was considering double majoring because I have a passion for learning other languages and biology/chemistry.
  • Has anyone else double majored in biochem and a language and has advice?
  • What are "good" majors/minors to be a well rounded science student?
p.s: my ideal school for undergraduate admissions is the University of Minnesota Twin Cities followed by Macalester College

Members don't see this ad.

I've settled on becoming an Ob/Gyn, but I have a couple questions regarding college classes/majors.
Everyone is going to tell you this will change and they are probably right.
  • Is double majoring in biochemistry and spanish (with possibly a minor in neuroscience) too much? I was considering double majoring because I have a passion for learning other languages and biology/chemistry.
It most likely is, only study things if you want to study them. Be a Spanish major and just complete the prerequisite sciences if you want to.

• What are "good" majors/minors to be a well rounded science student?
p.s: my ideal school for undergraduate admissions is the University of Minnesota Twin Cities followed by Macalester College

Any of them, as long as you finish the prerequisites.

What do you mean by the bolded?

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone is going to tell you this will change and they are probably right.

It most likely is, only study things if you want to study them. Be a Spanish major and just complete the prerequisite sciences if you want to.

Any of them, as long as you finish the prerequisites.

What do you mean by the bolded?
I think she means if she doesn't get into her first choice, this is her second choice college

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in what ever interests you AND one where you can get a good GPA. Med schools really don't care what you major in, they only care that you do well. They also don't care if you double major or minor or double minor. They only care that you do well.

You do not have to major in a science, you can major in anything...English, Philosophy, Anthropology, Spanish and take the required pre-med courses on addition.

I think she means if she doesn't get into her first choice, this is her second choice college

Just wanted to clarify bc I had fellow classmates enroll at one uni planning to transfer to another. Unless you're transferring to HYPSM etc. or have family circumstances I always thought it was goofy.

Reactions: 1 users
Medical school is for doctors. Undergrad major should be for your backup. If your answer is "I don't have a backup, I only want to be a doctor," that doesn't show determination like many people think it does, it shows you have failed to think critically about your intended career path.

Your path seems pretty well rounded, should you choose to follow it. Remember, though, you can pursure academic interests without making it a major or a minor--I have a lot so I'm just taking fun electives! Your major is for you--of all the things you will do in college, what major/minor you pick is quite possibly the thing med school adcoms care the least about.

Last edited:
You can double major, but its tough. I just completed a double in Biology and Psychology with a Spanish minor and a concentration in behavioral neuroscience and I am applying now. If you are passionate about learning thats awesome, and it will set you apart- especially the language part of it! Definitely do it, and if it gets too challenging you can always switch one of the majors to a minor and end with 2 minors and just one major! Good luck kid, and you can PM me if you need advice :)

I've settled on becoming an Ob/Gyn

You have not settled on ANYTHING. You figure this out when you're a third-year at some point. Have you delivered a baby? Have you conducted a pelvic exam? If you haven't then you haven't settled on becoming an Ob/gyn.

With regards to college, make sure you pick a major that you really like, you're passionate about, and that you can do well in. Med school is not an offshoot of undergrad so treat undergrad as a step that you need to successfully complete with the highest accomplishment possible and then focus on the next step in the journey.

Double majoring in Spanish is good IF you are actually good with the Spanish. Don't be one of those people who tries to learn Spanish but can't effectively communicate in the language.

Neuroscience is a good major. At least when you do neuro in med school, you won't be so lost. Undergrad biochem is nothing like med school biochem. Actually nothing in undergrad is anything like in med school.

My advice, get some business courses in there if you must double-major. Science becomes obsolete if you don't keep up with it. Business concepts remain forever. A doctor with a strong business background will be more successful than a doctor without one.