Going Back to Ortho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clemsondmd4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been practing in general for about 3 years. Went into practice right after I got out of school. I am considering the possibility of going back to school for ortho. Any suggestions for me as far as the best way to go about this coming from private practice? A few questions I have thought of as I'm entertaining this idea:
  • Recommendation letters-- since I am so many years removed from school I'm not sure if letters from the dean or any other faculty would be appropriate, but being in the working world my only really close peer would be my boss. Any other suggestions as to who I could use as a reference?
  • Experience-- I would love some suggestions on how to gain some experience in ortho. Is shadowing a good option? I work 5 days a week but I could take some days off to shadow. Would "externships" or visits to programs be smart? Just trying to think of ways to easily submerge myself into ortho mainly to confirm its what I want to do but also to build my resume being from practice.
  • Any other tips for an applying grad from private practice??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to the newer and larger programs such as JU, Colorado, Roseman, Georgia School of Orthodontics, and maybe Seton Hill.

Apply to the newer and larger programs such as JU, Colorado, Roseman, Georgia School of Orthodontics, and maybe Seton Hill.

Those are typically VERY expensive. Not looking to go into 200k more debt. The traditional school programs are less than $13000 a year tuition with some being none.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I have been practing in general for about 3 years. Went into practice right after I got out of school. I am considering the possibility of going back to school for ortho. Any suggestions for me as far as the best way to go about this coming from private practice? A few questions I have thought of as I'm entertaining this idea:
  • Recommendation letters-- since I am so many years removed from school I'm not sure if letters from the dean or any other faculty would be appropriate, but being in the working world my only really close peer would be my boss. Any other suggestions as to who I could use as a reference?
  • Experience-- I would love some suggestions on how to gain some experience in ortho. Is shadowing a good option? I work 5 days a week but I could take some days off to shadow. Would "externships" or visits to programs be smart? Just trying to think of ways to easily submerge myself into ortho mainly to confirm its what I want to do but also to build my resume being from practice.
  • Any other tips for an applying grad from private practice??

Thanks!

I was in this predicament this past cycle, although I knew I wanted to go into ortho from about my last year of school. You're right about recommendation letters, and in the world nowadays with so many Pass/Fail schools, recommendation letters go a long way. For the same reason that I could not think of people to have write me them, I actually went back to my old dental school and worked in the ortho research lab 1/2 days a week, getting my recommendations from the program director, chair, and research faculty. Being only 3 years out, maybe there are still clinical faculty that remember you from dent school?

Externships too are tough, I remember some schools do like them, but others don't really like them. Either way, I feel you really have to "wow" the residents/faculty in order for them to remember you enough to interview you again. Another option if you're really wanting to get into ortho is to do one of those 1 year fellowships (like the one at JU).. that gives you a really good exposure to ortho and gives you a really good heads up for getting into residency after. But, it's another year down and $$$ so choices must be made.

Not gonna lie, esp with so many people specializing in recent years, it is definitely a tough road going back to applications.

Those are typically VERY expensive. Not looking to go into 200k more debt. The traditional school programs are less than $13000 a year tuition with some being none.

They are also typically the ones that most look favorably on non-traditional applicants. I would also add the NY hospitals such as Monte, Stony Brook, Maimonides, etc, like experience (although most also req a GPR).

Most school-linked residencies often judge solely by class rank (esp now with so many applicants to choose from), and mostly choose those fresh out of school. The situation is getting a little better with the advent of the ADAT, and OP unless you had a stellar class rank, I would look to take that and excel at it so as to show that you're not off your game being out of school.

These expensive programs have no problem filling their positions with highly qualified candidates every year. Many people are willing to pay any price to become an orthodontist. Who wouldn't want to have an easy laid back job for the rest of one's life? Unfortunately, many couldn't get in because they didn't have the right stats. Money can't buy everything. OP, if you really want to become an orthodontist, apply to as many programs as possible.

I tried to applied to NOVA because it was a brand new dental school. I applied to New Jersey (I think it is called Rutgers now?) because it asked for the highest application fee. I hoped that fewer people would apply to these 2 schools. Neither these 2 schools offered me the interview:(.

Last edited:
I was in this predicament this past cycle, although I knew I wanted to go into ortho from about my last year of school. You're right about recommendation letters, and in the world nowadays with so many Pass/Fail schools, recommendation letters go a long way. For the same reason that I could not think of people to have write me them, I actually went back to my old dental school and worked in the ortho research lab 1/2 days a week, getting my recommendations from the program director, chair, and research faculty. Being only 3 years out, maybe there are still clinical faculty that remember you from dent school?

Externships too are tough, I remember some schools do like them, but others don't really like them. Either way, I feel you really have to "wow" the residents/faculty in order for them to remember you enough to interview you again. Another option if you're really wanting to get into ortho is to do one of those 1 year fellowships (like the one at JU).. that gives you a really good exposure to ortho and gives you a really good heads up for getting into residency after. But, it's another year down and $$$ so choices must be made.

Not gonna lie, esp with so many people specializing in recent years, it is definitely a tough road going back to applications.

They are also typically the ones that most look favorably on non-traditional applicants. I would also add the NY hospitals such as Monte, Stony Brook, Maimonides, etc, like experience (although most also req a GPR).

Most school-linked residencies often judge solely by class rank (esp now with so many applicants to choose from), and mostly choose those fresh out of school. The situation is getting a little better with the advent of the ADAT, and OP unless you had a stellar class rank, I would look to take that and excel at it so as to show that you're not off your game being out of school.
Don't worry about the letter of recommendations. 3 of the 4 faculty, who wrote me the LORs, didn't know me at all. The Dean's letter was actually written by the assistant dean, who wasn't even a dentist nor had a doctorate degree. The ortho chairman retired the year I applied so I had to ask the interim chair to write it for me. The ortho director didn't know who I was so he wrote me a generic one. The 4th one was from a fixed prosth instructor, whom I regularly worked with in the clinic.

Since I went to a P/F school, I put down N/A on the line where it asked me about my class rank. The reasons I got 7 interviews out of 17 schools that I applied to were my board score and research. I think if you do well on the ADAT, you'll have a good chance of receiving the interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
how much research is suggested for applying to ortho??

Even if ortho programs charged a million dollars for residency each year, there would still be tons of competition

My class rank was 9/71 and GPA is 3.88. How do those numbers compare to the typical applicant? High enough to stand out to get an interview or just average?

My class rank was 9/71 and GPA is 3.88. How do those numbers compare to the typical applicant? High enough to stand out to get an interview or just average?

I do know one person with slightly better rank: who did not get in, but they did not take the ADAT (take it), and they avoided applying to more expensive programs, 100k per year ones. I think you'll be fine though GL.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I do know one person with slightly better rank: who did not get in, but they did not take the ADAT (take it), and they avoided applying to more expensive programs, 100k per year ones. I think you'll be fine though GL.

In regards to rank, is it absolute rank or percentile? 9/100 would be solidly top 10%, but 9/71 is only top 12-13%.

In regards to rank, is it absolute rank or percentile? 9/100 would be solidly top 10%, but 9/71 is only top 12-13%.

I was sharing based on percentage. my main point is even with said rank, take the Adat and apply broadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user