GMU PUBLIC HEALTH PROGRAM ADVICE - HELP ME PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preptkittty123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to George Mason University's Masters of Public Health Program in Epidemiology. This seems like a pretty new program. It is accredited though, I think. Does anyone know anything about it? Like is it worth attending? I am on a lot of wait lists for Physical Therapy programs but if I don't get in I really want to do something. I live like 20 minutes from this school and get in state tuition here.

On another note, I have a bachelors degree in Biology only. I am not a doctor or anything like that, I noticed a lot of people who get masters in public heath also have PHDS in something else. What is the job outlook like for someone with just a masters of public health in Epi?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to the GMU MPH program as well, but I am ultimately not attending since I'm not the biggest fan of the program or GMU in general.

When you're looking for an MPH program, you want to make sure that the program is CEPH accredited, which GMU is, so in that sense, it's a "worthwhile" program. However, I feel like the next most important thing is what practical experiences are available to you. You will use these to build your resume while in school, so it's important that you can find a program that offers hands-on, practical experiences. I'm not so sure whether GMU has practical experiences that are as strong as nearby programs like GW or UMD. Next, you want to ensure that you have the best possible chance of career success, and this is typically reflected by the strength of the career center and placement/income outcomes of alumni. I haven't seen many, if any, MPH alumni from GMU, so I'm not sure how strong their career center is. I would recommend contacting the MPH program and asking them what percentage of alumni are employed/seeking more education within 6 months of graduation (typically, you want to see a number >90%, I would think) and what their median or average income is.

That's just my view on it, and you will need to evaluate these factors for yourself and whether they fit with what you ultimately want to do, especially given that it will be a cheaper option for you than most other MPH programs. I see that you mentioned that you have also applied to PT school. Are you looking into MPH programs just to bide time until you get into a PT program, or do you see the MPH as being integral to your future career in PT? I've seen too many people try and pursue expensive graduate programs just to improve their apps for med/dental/PT school and would definitely recommend against just throwing money at whatever MPH program in the hopes that it'll bolster your PT apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your response.

You are right I should definitely look into their employment rates after graduation, I wonder how many people have even graduated with this degree from GMU, I think it is a pretty new program
Yeah their connections with w/ public health organizations in the area are really important. I need to figure out how helpful they are with helping students find internships & gain experience.

& if I get my MPH I am not going to go to PT school. I will probably just try to get a job after graduating.

Wow! I am in the same boat as you @preptkittty123 ! I was on a waiting list for PT school but eventually got rejected. I applied to the George Mason , global health program and got accepted. I had the same questions you had as well during my time of soul searching once I got rejected from PT school. Have you accepted the GMU public health offer?