Glendale (Midwestern) Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureRX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo nervous to hear back from Glendale. Interviewed there about two weeks ago and LOVED it! The program seems awesome, the campus-beautiful, Glendale-gorgeous, the students-so nice and friendly! :D

I just felt like the interview was sort of intimidating! The questions were pretty basic but it was the way they were asked...

Not to mention that there were only 30 spots available and 100+ people interviewing that last week. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

were you there on tuesday? 4/11/06?

Ugh...I hate Glendale! Bland and boring and HOT AS HELL - I'm glad you like it, I'm in Tucson and can't stand some parts of phoenix...I'm ready for a change of pace, I'll prob. apply to Midwestern and definitely UA though not sure I'll accept any acceptances (if i get any).

Members don't see this ad :)
Mongoos150 said:
Ugh...I hate Glendale! Bland and boring and HOT AS HELL - I'm glad you like it, I'm in Tucson and can't stand some parts of phoenix...I'm ready for a change of pace, I'll prob. apply to Midwestern and definitely UA though not sure I'll accept any acceptances (if i get any).

LOL at someone from Tucson speaking poorly of Glendale.

Hot as hell? In the summer, that's definitely true. That's what A/C and swimming pools are for.

Bland and boring? Well, pretty much yeah... cuz Glendale is an outlying suburb of Phoenix. But you can always hop on the 101 and take a quick drive to Scottsdale, Tempe, or any other more 'happening' spots.

Tucson > Midwestern :idea:

Well, if it makes you feel any better I interviewed there a month ago and got accepted...but i will not be going coz i got into UF (my first choice)...so i guess there are 31 spots available...but you would have to be on the waiting list for this to be useful to you...good luck

Glendale is horrible. It's super hot, traffic is bad, all the vegitation is pretty much dead (most of AZ). However, there is probably more to do in glendale as opposed to Tucson.

Also, I was talking to a pharmacist who just recently graduated from MW and he said they are going to add more "useless" class to their coursework. He said they are going to add things like community service requirements and classes that arnt realy needed but are going to be added for the sake of having their program become more prestigious. He did say that he enjoyed the school. So I guess there is a downside no matter what school you choose.

futureRXdealer said:
Glendale is horrible. It's super hot, traffic is bad, all the vegitation is pretty much dead (most of AZ).

Surprise!! Glendale's in a desert! Don't expect a rain-forest if you're coming here. ...as far as the 'most of AZ' comment... uhhh, obviously you're not familiar w/ Northern AZ. Tons of real live vegetation, including the largest ponderosa pine forest in the nation.

Also, I was talking to a pharmacist who just recently graduated from MW and he said they are going to add more "useless" class to their coursework. He said they are going to add things like community service requirements and classes that arnt realy needed

Unfortunately, the fine folks at ACPE have mandated that 'service learning' be a part of ALL pharm schools' curriculums. We just got 'lucky' enough to have the administration that was most proactive in implementing this. ...don't think you're going to escape it anywhere else. ...but at least you'll be able to do it someplace with live vegetation.

Breathe Easy! Take it down a notch. I am not bashing Arizona what so ever. I have lived here my whole life. I understand that Norther Arizona has plants/pine trees. However, Northern Arizona does not qualify as "most of AZ". I plan on applying to MidWestern and U of A. Seeing that I have lived in Peoria/Glendale for my whole life I was just trying to give some information to people who might not know. I did not mean that post as offensive or negative towards AZ or MidWestern as a school. I have heard nothing but great things about the school from current and alumni

On a side note, I was not aware of that every school required community service. The person I talked to made it sound like they were adding it "just because" Thanks for the information!

THe few times I have been to tucson, it felt like I drove through a time warp. It had this erie laid back boring throw back theme to it.

No, I actually interviewed on 4.12 (a Wednesday).

They told us that we would hear back by the 26th of May. I keep on checking my interact now to see if it has changed! :oops:

yah, tucson is actually much cooler than glendale. you can go skiing at mt. lemon and it's much more culturally diverse! tucson is the way to go.. Midwestern is right next to an Albertson's, for Pete's sake, and you got Home Depot incase you need to fix up the shotty apartment you're living in. you're right next to a freeway as well in glendale, so the freeway noise is crazy and it's hard to study because of it! Glendale is right next to a huge mountain, so there are coyotes everywhere, and i've actually heard people say that their best friends have either been chased or eaten alive... :thumbdown:

shaun009 said:
Glendale is right next to a huge mountain, so there are coyotes everywhere, and i've actually heard people say that their best friends have either been chased or eaten alive... :thumbdown:

Yeah thats the only thing bad about the Glendale campus is the damn coyotes. They are everywhere. I always carry with me a raw steak in case I get attacked, I can throw it and distract them while I run away in terror. This week there has been 2 reported attacks and who knows how many happen without reporting. I think the construction going on right now is going to include a highvoltage fence that emits a high pitched sound waves(only detectible by dogs and coyotes) that will help alleviate the coyote problems. It is definitely not recommended to walk or ride a bike to school. The school officials really don't see it as a problem though, they tend to see it as a learning experience, Darwin's theory of evolution. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
futureRXdealer said:
requirements and classes that arnt realy needed

Did you just type "arnt"? Make sure that you write like that on your application.

I have to say that I laugh my butt off everytime I read about a prospective student bashing a potential college. Especially when they are doing it from a "it is too hot, all the plants are dead" type of argument. Keep your options open. It is hard to get into every pharmacy school. From a pure numbers standpoint, it will be easier for you tucson lovers to get in at UA, so you should apply there.

If you don't like Glendale, don't apply here. There is already enough people moving here every month, to the tune of 10-12 thousand a month in the valley metro area. Some people must really like the fastest growing county in America.

Jeddevil is up for the moderator position so hes checkin' everyones grammar at the door.. be careful guys! the most informal board is going to be gettin' some class.

museabuse said:
Yeah thats the only thing bad about the Glendale campus is the damn coyotes. They are everywhere. I always carry with me a raw steak in case I get attacked, I can throw it and distract them while I run away in terror. This week there has been 2 reported attacks and who knows how many happen without reporting. I think the construction going on right now is going to include a highvoltage fence that emits a high pitched sound waves(only detectible by dogs and coyotes) that will help alleviate the coyote problems. It is definitely not recommended to walk or ride a bike to school. The school officials really don't see it as a problem though, they tend to see it as a learning experience, Darwin's theory of evolution. :laugh:

How do the coyotes get past the "Waco compound" security fences already in place? They're adding more fences??

so was that the last week they held interviews????? i applied and i never heard back from them, they told me that they were going to hold interviews through may, i guess i got misinformed?

By numbers Midwestern easier than UA? Where are you getting your data from? I've heard of a LOT more people getting into MW than UA...I go to UA, and have a few friends that applied here (with great stats) and got rejected...they both ended up going to U Mass (Boston).

I've heard, through the grape-vine, that there is one more interview on Friday (4/28/06)... I don't know the truth to it but it came from a friend that interviewed a day after me (4/12/06).

Does anyone have an idea of when they really let you know. They say 4-6 weeks, but that seems WAY too long. I know someone that got a rejection letter 2 weeks after his interview.

It took a little under 3 weeks for me to find out on the "interact now" page from their website

shaun009 said:
I've heard, through the grape-vine, that there is one more interview on Friday (4/28/06)... I don't know the truth to it but it came from a friend that interviewed a day after me (4/12/06).

Does anyone have an idea of when they really let you know. They say 4-6 weeks, but that seems WAY too long. I know someone that got a rejection letter 2 weeks after his interview.

07pharmd, thanks for the response. How exactly did your interact now box change?

It has been exactly two weeks since my interview and I have not heard anything yet...

I am hoping my interact now box thing will change soon! :oops:

No problem guys, i know exactly what you guys are feeling, I had been checking my interact now page like 10 times a day. THe day i finally found out, i checked the page at about 10 pm and nothing had changed, then at around midnight, i checked again right before i had gone to bed and the color format of the whole page had changed to a sky blue color. Then i looked at the top right of the page and there is a place that showed something about applicant checklist or something like that. That had now changed to accepted student checklist. When i clicked on that, it showed that i had been accepted and the date at which the decision had been made(or when they put it in the computer). And it just had some other checklists and misc. stuff like that. GOOD LUCK GUYS>>>

shaun009 said:
07pharmd, thanks for the response. How exactly did your interact now box change?

07pharmd said:
No problem guys, i know exactly what you guys are feeling, I had been checking my interact now page like 10 times a day. THe day i finally found out, i checked the page at about 10 pm and nothing had changed, then at around midnight, i checked again right before i had gone to bed and the color format of the whole page had changed to a sky blue color. Then i looked at the top right of the page and there is a place that showed something about applicant checklist or something like that. That had now changed to accepted student checklist. When i clicked on that, it showed that i had been accepted and the date at which the decision had been made(or when they put it in the computer). And it just had some other checklists and misc. stuff like that. GOOD LUCK GUYS>>>

Thanks, 07 pharmD for your response. :) Yeah..this whole waiting business sucks! I find myself checking my interact now or coming here to student doctor.net 28439483 times a day! It is ridiculous! :oops:

Mongoos150 said:
By numbers Midwestern easier than UA? Where are you getting your data from? I've heard of a LOT more people getting into MW than UA...I go to UA, and have a few friends that applied here (with great stats) and got rejected...they both ended up going to U Mass (Boston).

Here is what I said: "From a pure numbers standpoint, it will be easier for you tucson lovers to get in at UA, so you should apply there." I didn't state it is easier to get into midwestern and don't believe it is. The data I am using is from the year I got accepted, two years ago. UA had a record 400+ applicants for 75 spots, so you had a 5-1 to 6-1 chance of getting in. Midwestern had 1600+ applicants for 130 spots, a 12-1 chance of getting in.

I was accepted both places, yet I know people who were not who also had great stats. Your example of people not getting accepted to UA but going to UMass doesn't really add much to the topic at hand since you didn't mention if they got into or applied to Midwestern. I do believe, but am not certain, that UA puts a preference on accepting state residents or transfers from other state institutions (that is the way it appears if you look at where the prior class matriculated from which is available from the UA school of pharm). If your friends were from out of state, maybe that played some into it. Midwestern doesn't seem to put any preference on where you are from.

Every school is going to have people apply with great stats that don't get admitted. There are too many people wanting in, many very qualified to do the job, but not enough spots. Apply many places and be happy getting in anywhere. All schools, except the former HICP, will be able to prepare you to be a decent pharmacist.

Even more jittery now. I just found out I am on the wait list for a different school...now I am starting to think that my interview at CPG. Maybe I did not do that great... oh , I dunno...

It has been a little over two weeks since I interviewed. :(

Jeddevil - they were UA students. My advisor tells me most kids don't get in on their first try (here at UA)...whether you say preference or not, I don't believe it's easier if you go here. Again, this is just from what I have heard of other UA students applying. Congrats on getting into UA, did you not like the school and declined the acceptance?

Mongoos150 said:
Jeddevil - they were UA students. My advisor tells me most kids don't get in on their first try (here at UA)...whether you say preference or not, I don't believe it's easier if you go here. Again, this is just from what I have heard of other UA students applying. Congrats on getting into UA, did you not like the school and declined the acceptance?

From my handle, you should be able to tell that I have a bit of a dislike for anything wildcat. That is more of a sport related deal though. UA was always a backup plan. I would go there if I didn't get in anywhere else, which never ended up being an issue for me. But I wanted to make sure I got into school so I applied to seven different schools to help the odds. Many people must like Tucson. I can't stand it. It is a dirty little ghetto town. With that said, people always come back with "The nice part of town is north in the catalina foothills, you should check that out." I have, and that part of town is nothing special. Every suburb in the valley metro area has their own comparable to nicer neighborhoods outside of maybe Avondale, Buckeye, and Apache Junction.

That being said, many people do like tucson, it just isn't for me. UA has a nice school and if you get in there you will get a good education. Don't put all your hopes in one school. Apply all over the place to give yourself better odds. Good luck.

Just an update for those who interviewed at Midwestern:

I interviewed 4/11/06 and am currently on the alternate list 4/26/06

UA a backup plan? Interesting, like saying "I applied to Washington State, but Harvard is my backup plan" - Tucson is a college town, plain and simple. Mesa is a ****hole (my grandparents unfortunately live there), nothing but mormon churches and dying grass...ick. Well as long as you're happy.

shaun009 said:
Just an update for those who interviewed at Midwestern:

I interviewed 4/11/06 and am currently on the alternate list 4/26/06

I interviewed 4/11 as well and am on the alternate list.

Mongoos150 said:
UA a backup plan? Interesting, like saying "I applied to Washington State, but Harvard is my backup plan" - Tucson is a college town, plain and simple. Mesa is a ****hole (my grandparents unfortunately live there), nothing but mormon churches and dying grass...ick. Well as long as you're happy.

If jeddevil went to UofA, he'd just be finishing up his second year, in 6 months at MWU he will be done with the classroom work and onto rotations.

When your over 30, no need to spend more time in school than necessary.

He will also have a year salary as a pharmacist before the class of 2008 graduates from UofA.

He will be making the same amount of money as UofA graduates.

UofA is not Harvard of pharmacy schools... please... it's a good school... don't get me wrong, but a lot of pharmacy learning is self motivated and it doesn't matter where you go, if you are self motivated you can learn as much as you want and more than any topped rank pharmacy school will teach you.

Tucson has an inferiority complex to Metro Phoenix, which in turn has the same Napolean complex when compared to Chicago or New York.

...it's just part of the top-down hierarchy of U.S. cities.

Hey ,

How did you guys find out that you are on the alternate list? Did you get an email? letter? call? or did you see it on your interact now?

Urghh..I am nervous to look...:-\

pharmaz88 said:
Tucson has an inferiority complex to Metro Phoenix, which in turn has the same Napolean complex when compared to Chicago or New York.

...it's just part of the top-down hierarchy of U.S. cities.

Pre-pharm students also have an inferiority complex to ..... nevermind, I won't go there tonight.

lol, i have no complex toward anyone (pharm students)

a lot of getting in is luck... i know people that would make better pharm students than people that are current ones and it makes me sick.

shaun009 said:
i know people that would make better pharm students than people that are current ones and it makes me sick.

I can't argue that. ...it's a shame that there's not more filtering that just good grades/PCAT and a decent 30-minute acting job for the interview.

Jeddevil said:
Every suburb in the valley metro area has their own comparable to nicer neighborhoods outside of maybe Avondale, Buckeye, and Apache Junction.
Ever been to Estrella Mountain Ranch / Verrado? $400,000+ homes in the Avondale/Buckeye area.

pharmaz88 said:
I can't argue that. ...it's a shame that there's not more filtering that just good grades/PCAT and a decent 30-minute acting job for the interview.

I know, it was almost too easy...I barely broke a sweat. I thought they would at least make me tap dance a little more. In terms of the AZ pissing match going on, allow me to offer an outside opinion:

Tucson: dead,dry, and brown
Phoenix: bigger, dead,dry, and brown

I am in the Oro Valley (North) suburb of Tucson, excellent area. Home prices avg. $375k - $700k. I can't imagine living in the city, but parts of north Tucson are definitely on par (and sometimes above) parts of Scottsdale (Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, Carefree etc...)

FutureRX said:
Hey ,

How did you guys find out that you are on the alternate list? Did you get an email? letter? call? or did you see it on your interact now?

Urghh..I am nervous to look...:-\

I got my "on the alternate list" letter on Friday. It was in a plain, standard size, white envelope and the letter was a page long. I didn't get an e-mail or anything like that and my interact now didn't change either.

Good luck!

I found out today that I am also waitlisted. :-\

Kinda bummed...I know two more girls that interviewed on the 12th that are also on the waitlist.

Has anyone been denied or accepted?

futureRXdealer said:
Ever been to Estrella Mountain Ranch / Verrado? $400,000+ homes in the Avondale/Buckeye area.

Yep, Estrella Mtn is Goodyear, my sis-in-law built in the customs there. She picked up her lot for 50K about 4-5 years ago, the same ones that are over 300 now. Talk about me missing out on that boat.

I forgot about Verrado. I guess that is Buckeye. Cross another one off the list. Probably could cross Avondale off also with the homes (forgot the subdivision names) north of i-10 at thomas and 107 - 115th ave. That leaves only Apache Jct.

You sure can't buy much with half a million anymore.

Mongoos150 said:
I am in the Oro Valley (North) suburb of Tucson, excellent area. Home prices avg. $375k - $700k. I can't imagine living in the suburbs, but parts of north Tucson are definitely on par (and sometimes above) parts of Scottsdale (Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, Carefree etc...)

You just said that you live in a suburb and the next sentence said that you can't imaging living in the suburbs. WTF??

What happened to your "UA PrePharm" signature?

We could go on with this pissing match for a long time. I'm glad you love Tucson. Take care.

jeddevil.. shut up! this thread isn't about you.. pm for pete's sake.

Jeddevil said:
You just said that you live in a suburb and the next sentence said that you can't imaging living in the suburbs. WTF??

What happened to your "UA PrePharm" signature?

We could go on with this pissing match for a long time. I'm glad you love Tucson. Take care.

I made a typo (which I fixed). Per my signature - if you haven't noticed, the forum only posts your signature on the first post of each page. Would you care to continue in infancy?

pharmaz88 said:
that's right. it's about ME !!!

:D

I thought it was about ME(like everything else is)!

Did anyone get accepted to Glendale that interviewed during the week of the 10th-14th? I have not heard of one single person that got in. I have not heard of anyone that was rejected either...

It seems like everyone that interviewed those days were waitlisted. :oops:

How does this work now that we are waitlisted? Just wait? :confused: Urgh..I hate this waiting business.