GI fellowship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hepat0l0gy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am PGY-2 who will be applying to the GI fellowship this year. I have a lot of questions about the application and timing of interviews. I've tried to ask my home program about the process but their advice has been generic and was wondering if someone who has gone through the process can shed some insight about the process.

I also have a feeling that my home institution GI selection process may be somewhat skewed (i.e. i was told the average pubmed index publication per application they interviewed was 9, excluding internal candidates).

Application question
#1 I noticed that every program has several tracks. Is it frowned upon to apply to multiple tracks ? For example, if i enjoyed research and am considering hepatology as well can I apply to the clinical track, research track, and hepatology/liver track ?

#2 What are some pitfalls that you have learned or heard about in the application that would exclude you from consideration for interview ? Ex: CV, etc...

#3 I am considering both academic and community/hybrid programs for fellowship. Is it frowned upon for an applicant from an academic program to apply to a community fellowship ? Will they even consider you for an interview or do you have to provide additional evidence that you are interested ? Or will it just be a waste of your time and/or money to apply if they will not consider you ? (I have > 10 research pubs, several young investigator awards, and oral presentations)

#4 How many programs should you apply to increase your chance of securing a fellowship ? Does location where you completed your residency training, medical school, or grew up makes a significant difference when applying to fellowship ?

#5 When should you submit your GI application ? Does submitting apps earlier provides you with higher chance of being selected for an interview ?

#6 When should you expect to hear back from programs regarding interview ? Also what months are usually the busiest for interview ? I heard october and november. Is this correct ?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

-Is the research track a T32 track? You will need to have a good story and research backgrounds with a credible background to predict a research career. It is typically fine to click multiple tracks.

-Like any competitive specialty, board score cutoffs, FMG/VISA status, home program, publications, recommendations, research, etc....

-I found that programs tend to invite people they think will match. Unlike residency, they don't want to interview several hundred people. So while I interviewed at a lot of "top" academic programs, I did not even get interviews at some "Safety" places I applied to.

-You can always decline an interview if you find you are getting tons, but you can't apply later if you are not doing well. Over apply and cancel or don't schedule an interview if you are crushing it.

- You should have your application ready to be downloaded once programs can start downloading. I don't remember the exact dates

- You can look at the old SD application cycle threads where they keep a running log of when they heard from programs.

Average pub med index pubs at 9 per interview applicant?! Guess I should start preparing my CV for a hospitalist job....

Members don't see this ad :)
Average pub med index pubs at 9 per interview applicant?! Guess I should start preparing my CV for a hospitalist job....

Go to a top 10 residency? You can match with a case report.

10-50? poster/abstract, contributing author on a paper.

IMG from a random program? The bar is much much higher.

I just assumed that the number they quoted was for all tracks. There is a significant proportion of MD/PhD and folks who are set on pursuing academic medicine as a career. I wouldn't think too much about it.