GI competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to NRMP match data, fellowship placement in GI for US allopathic grads is around 80%. For a US MD from a mid tier IM program (I don't know what's mid tier so let's say anywhere between 30-70 on doximity) with some research, the match data makes it sound like you have a pretty good shot at matching GI as long as you apply broadly and aren't picky about location. What am I missing here? And at a certain point, doesn't it not become a meritocracy and connections play a large role?

From reading the forums here, it seems like if you don't go to top IM program, have multiple pubs and 240+ on steps, then you don't even have a shot.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Well, most top programs get ~350-400 applications, interview ~40-50 people, and have ~4 spots. There are half the number of GI spots nationally than cardiology spots.

Now those are large generalization on the numbers, but its a rough ballpark. Some programs have 2 spots some have 7. All that means is you need to apply broadly and strategically. Yes certainly local politics and connections play a role. You have to assume that 1-2 spots are reserved for internal applicants, so right off the bat you are fighting for 1-3 external spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, most top programs get ~350-400 applications, interview ~40-50 people, and have ~4 spots. There are half the number of GI spots nationally than cardiology spots.

Now those are large generalization on the numbers, but its a rough ballpark. Some programs have 2 spots some have 7. All that means is you need to apply broadly and strategically. Yes certainly local politics and connections play a role. You have to assume that 1-2 spots are reserved for internal applicants, so right off the bat you are fighting for 1-3 external spots.

again he saved me time saying all this

According to NRMP match data, fellowship placement in GI for US allopathic grads is around 80%. For a US MD from a mid tier IM program (I don't know what's mid tier so let's say anywhere between 30-70 on doximity) with some research, the match data makes it sound like you have a pretty good shot at matching GI as long as you apply broadly and aren't picky about location. What am I missing here? And at a certain point, doesn't it not become a meritocracy and connections play a large role?

From reading the forums here, it seems like if you don't go to top IM program, have multiple pubs and 240+ on steps, then you don't even have a shot.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Not everyone wants to apply broadly and go anywhere for fellowship location.

By 28-30yo a lot a of people have a spouse and may be starting a family and unless people are into long distance marriages and the sort or the significant other is a homemaker essentially, most don't like applying broadly. That could mess with the stats.

If you went to top tier IM program and have a 240+ you won't be worried about the location thing as much.