Getting the residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzanna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Since I do not know anyone personally who matched into ophthalmology I though I would look for some answers here.
I am a MS II DO student (this is not new school). My grades are so so, but there is still room for improvement in order to do well in the 3rd year! Soon I will be taking COMLEX/USMLE 1.
Here is what I would like to know from those of you who successfully matched recently or know anything on this subject:
-how to get an ophthalmology residency?
Can someone please write to me what are the requirements or anything needed to look competitive and to have a shoot at getting ACGME residency? Can it be done in the 3rd and 4th year??
might seem silly to some but I really do not know much on this subject I would appreciate help from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

(for the record, I am also interested in dermatology, that's why I will be posting into Derm forum as well)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

Since I do not know anyone personally who matched into ophthalmology I though I would look for some answers here.
I am a MS II DO student (this is not new school). My grades are so so, but there is still room for improvement in order to do well in the 3rd year! Soon I will be taking COMLEX/USMLE 1.
Here is what I would like to know from those of you who successfully matched recently or know anything on this subject:
-how to get an ophthalmology residency?
Can someone please write to me what are the requirements or anything needed to look competitive and to have a shoot at getting ACGME residency? Can it be done in the 3rd and 4th year??
might seem silly to some but I really do not know much on this subject I would appreciate help from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

(for the record, I am also interested in dermatology, that's why I will be posting into Derm forum as well)

Like anything else competitive: High scores (need USMLEs, they have no idea what to do with COMLEX ), good grades, high class rank, excellent letters, research, devotion...oh and commitment they tend to appreciate that too.

In the MD world, they don't care if its a new vs old DO school -- pretty much means nothing. Also because ophtho is competitive, a spot is a spot is a spot. If it were me, I wouldn't be discounting anything just yet...

Good luck hope you figure out your path!

Like anything else competitive: High scores (need USMLEs, they have no idea what to do with COMLEX ), good grades, high class rank, excellent letters, research, devotion...oh and commitment they tend to appreciate that too.

In the MD world, they don't care if its a new vs old DO school -- pretty much means nothing. Also because ophtho is competitive, a spot is a spot is a spot. If it were me, I wouldn't be discounting anything just yet...

Good luck hope you figure out your path!

Thank you for your reply! Do you think that being a DO limits/decreases my chances since this is a competitive specialty? Also, is the research necessary? How many publications would you say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! Do you think that being a DO limits/decreases my chances since this is a competitive specialty? Also, is the research necessary? How many publications would you say?

No, for the most part I do not think that -- the ceiling has already been shattered. What I do know is that it is a competitive specialty no matter your degree, and strongly agree with ophtholove on that matter. Additionally, the osteopathic ophthalmology spots can still only be filled by DOs, probably giving you a statistically better shot (for now). There is no set number of research projects, just make sure to see them to fruition.

Lastly, there are many threads on this matter within SDN, I suggest you check them out as they may help.

@vl0913 @ophtholove92 @ericr29 Thanks you guys for your advices! To be completely honest my school does not have "much research" opportunities esp. in ophthalmology...pretty much none actually...could any of your recommend where to look for research opportunities? Sorry but I never did research so I have no idea what and how to do :/

Reach out to local programs in the area, where are you located?

Suzanna. PM me if you want the truth about matching DO. Oh and in response to ericr29's comment...sorry but there are slim pickings for the DO programs. I believe at least half have shut down due to the merger. A complete list can be found at AOCOO-HNS website. Notice how there are no new residents matching into the most recent years? That's because those programs have lost the ability to do so.

Suzanna. PM me if you want the truth about matching DO. Oh and in response to ericr29's comment...sorry but there are slim pickings for the DO programs. I believe at least half have shut down due to the merger. A complete list can be found at AOCOO-HNS website. Notice how there are no new residents matching into the most recent years? That's because those programs have lost the ability to do so.

Thanks for the info JMMF. That definitely changes things; however, I still wish to remain optimistic for those who work hard can make it to very great places.

Reactions: 1 user