Getting stationed in Okinawa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's too early for me to ask, but just out of curiosity!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have heard that we get to write down our preferences of where we want to get stationed after going in active duty.
I am just wondering how much they consider our preferences and how difficult is it to get stationed in Okinawa, or at any other dental corps centers in Japan?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Put Okinawa last on your list of preferences. Then, when the detailer offers it as your #1 choice. You are in. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In the current fiscal state of affairs it is easier to get to Japan if you are not bringing dependents. That may be different once a federal budget is passed.

Every credentialing dentist in SD seems to be going to Japan. You are almost guaranteed a spot...

I know about 3 or 4 people who would ditch overseas orders for something in the US. So again, you chances are stellar.

Every credentialing dentist in SD seems to be going to Japan. You are almost guaranteed a spot...

I know about 3 or 4 people who would ditch overseas orders for something in the US. So again, you chances are stellar.
How many of these dentists are single vs married vs married with kids? If you have any idea. My wife and I would be interested in Okinawa/Japan after my first assignment, though we have 3 children. I know when I was enlisted and single it was very easy.

How many of these dentists are single vs married vs married with kids? If you have any idea. My wife and I would be interested in Okinawa/Japan after my first assignment, though we have 3 children. I know when I was enlisted and single it was very easy.

Are you Mormon or something?;) BTW if you are, there are lots of em floating around the dental corps. Anyways, I am still very sure you can go, esp if you are super eager. I know of one LT specifically who was supposed to go, but then got held up with overseas screening (medical clearance). That means all your kids have to be healthy. They cant have type 1 DM, be mentally handicapped, have too many caries etc., this also goes for you and your wifey. If you know there is an issue now, I would nix your Japan plans.

Absent EFMP issues it's still pretty easy.

Are you Mormon or something?;) BTW if you are, there are lots of em floating around the dental corps. Anyways, I am still very sure you can go, esp if you are super eager. I know of one LT specifically who was supposed to go, but then got held up with overseas screening (medical clearance). That means all your kids have to be healthy. They cant have type 1 DM, be mentally handicapped, have too many caries etc., this also goes for you and your wifey. If you know there is an issue now, I would nix your Japan plans.
Not Mormon. Went to school with plenty of them though. Actually a friend of mine had orders to Italy out of camp lejeune, but then his kid's asthma got the orders changed to state side. :/

So far I think the kids are okay, same as wife. Hopefully nothing crops up, we both really want to go overseas.
Absent EFMP issues it's still pretty easy.
What is efmp?

Not Mormon. Went to school with plenty of them though. Actually a friend of mine had orders to Italy out of camp lejeune, but then his kid's asthma got the orders changed to state side. :/

So far I think the kids are okay, same as wife. Hopefully nothing crops up, we both really want to go overseas.

What is efmp?

Google.