Getting sponsored for the USMLE step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathanlikes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My younger sister went to Ross and passed all her first 4 semesters. She also passed her COMP exam on the first try. However, she did not take the USMLE in the 6 month time frame, and Ross put her in administrative withdrawal. She is going to reapply to Ross now after 2 years away. However, the admissions office said that she may not get to be readmitted to Ross, and that they will have to review her case. My question is: Does anyone know any other way to get sponsored to take the step? Could she take the step exam being sponsored by another carib school, and then try to transfer back to Ross?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My younger sister went to Ross and passed all her first 4 semesters. She also passed her COMP exam on the first try. However, she did not take the USMLE in the 6 month time frame, and Ross put her in administrative withdrawal. She is going to reapply to Ross now after 2 years away. However, the admissions office said that she may not get to be readmitted to Ross, and that they will have to review her case. My question is: Does anyone know any other way to get sponsored to take the step? Could she take the step exam being sponsored by another carib school, and then try to transfer back to Ross?

I'm sorry to hear about your sisters admin withdrawal. The short answer is yes. She can likely apply to another Carib school and get sponsored, BUT it may come with strings. However, bear in mind that a school like Ross has a very large connection base that includes several teaching hospitals all throughout the US with track systems that guarantee your spot for 3 yr. Doing this prevents you from having to worry about moving around. Most Carib schools haven't implemented this beneficial method during clinical years, and as a result end up moving around throughout their clinical years quite frequently.

So my question for her would be, why the heck did she take 6 months to take the test if the email that goes out when she passes COMP says clear as day, "you must take USMLE Step 1 within 6 months of this date (with the exact date highlighted based on your sisters completion of COMP)." To me it seems reckless on her part. I would say if I were her, get in touch with the right people at the Registrar's office. Spend time to make sure that she gets readmitted. The path that you are trekking here, with finding a new med school to sponsor her for Step 1 is going to be annoying and daunting. The school she gets sponsored by may have restrictions tied to her MD degree in certain states (whereas Ross has 50 state approval and a long rep for graduating successful physicians). Also, that school may require she retake a CBSE (which I don't think will be her issue if shes already been studying for 6 months).

My questions for her:
- did she reach out to Ross and clarify her difficulties?
- did she ask for extra time (its a stretch)?
- why did she take such a long time?
- when did she pass COMP?
- what did her administrative withdrawal email say?

TL;DR:
- Beg Ross to readmit you and outline a plan to take Step 1 and TAKE IT! Avoid blaming the school and others for her issues, and form a plan of attack. Present that plan of attack to Ross with a clear date.
- Choosing a new medical school for sponsorship in the Caribbean is a double edged sword, they take a risk with you (charge you for that risk) and you look worse on residency applications.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear about your sisters admin withdrawal. The short answer is yes. She can likely apply to another Carib school and get sponsored, BUT it may come with strings. However, bear in mind that a school like Ross has a very large connection base that includes several teaching hospitals all throughout the US with track systems that guarantee your spot for 3 yr. Doing this prevents you from having to worry about moving around. Most Carib schools haven't implemented this beneficial method during clinical years, and as a result end up moving around throughout their clinical years quite frequently.

So my question for her would be, why the heck did she take 6 months to take the test if the email that goes out when she passes COMP says clear as day, "you must take USMLE Step 1 within 6 months of this date (with the exact date highlighted based on your sisters completion of COMP)." To me it seems reckless on her part. I would say if I were her, get in touch with the right people at the Registrar's office. Spend time to make sure that she gets readmitted. The path that you are trekking here, with finding a new med school to sponsor her for Step 1 is going to be annoying and daunting. The school she gets sponsored by may have restrictions tied to her MD degree in certain states (whereas Ross has 50 state approval and a long rep for graduating successful physicians). Also, that school may require she retake a CBSE (which I don't think will be her issue if shes already been studying for 6 months).

My questions for her:
- did she reach out to Ross and clarify her difficulties?
- did she ask for extra time (its a stretch)?
- why did she take such a long time?
- when did she pass COMP?
- what did her administrative withdrawal email say?

TL;DR:
- Beg Ross to readmit you and outline a plan to take Step 1 and TAKE IT! Avoid blaming the school and others for her issues, and form a plan of attack. Present that plan of attack to Ross with a clear date.
- Choosing a new medical school for sponsorship in the Caribbean is a double edged sword, they take a risk with you (charge you for that risk) and you look worse on residency applications.

Thanks so much for your detailed response. She had issues with depression and anxiety and needed to take time to see a therapist. We are hoping very much that she will be readmitted to Ross, but have been told that it is not a guarantee at all. This is why she is looking into getting another school to sponsor her. Honestly, she has taken a couple NBMEs and has gotten 240+ on both of them. She is now ready to take the USMLE as soon as possible. If she gets a high enough score, maybe Ross will just allow her to transfer back for clinicals.

Her withdrawal email simply said that she had been administratively withdrawn because she did not take the Step 1 on time.

One of her friends was saying that Ross may be hesitant to sponsor her because they are always worried about their first time pass rate dropping below that of US MD schools. He said that it is a big part of their "selling point" by saying that their students pass the Step 1 at a higher rate than American graduates. So, they are very protective regarding who they allow to take the Step 1 under their name.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't doubt that at all... However, if shes getting in the 240's on her practice exams, she should put that on her application. Maybe attach an official NBME practice exam score report? Idk, its worth a shot. That's a fantastic score, I might add. With depression and anxiety to pull a score of that caliber on a practice test is really impressive. Heck, if I would've pulled a score that high on a practice test, I would immediately schedule and get this crap over and done with.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to tell you this, but it doesn't work like that.

The bigger problem is that she will find it damn near impossible to get a medical license with such a gap in her education. This is the reason for Ross' policy. It's not to be mean or "unfair". It's because medical boards significantly frown on long gaps in undergraduate medical education, whatever the reason - valid or not.

She can appeal. But, I would be prepared to hear bad news. Likewise, I would be very wary of any school that offers to "help" her around this situation... especially for a fee.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user

The bigger problem is that she will find it damn near impossible to get a medical license with such a gap in her education. This is the reason for Ross' policy. It's not to be mean or "unfair". It's because medical boards significantly frown on long gaps in undergraduate medical education, whatever the reason - valid or not.

She can appeal. But, I would be prepared to hear bad news. Likewise, I would be very wary of any school that offers to "help" her around this situation... especially for a fee.

-Skip

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that gaps in the record are more of an issue if a student has it after taking the Step 1. I know that the ECFMG has issues with providing licenses to students who take too long to complete all 3 step exams. Is it not true that most MD-Phd students have large gaps in the medical school part of their education? I know that is a totally different type of student, but I know some foreign graduates who took one or two years off in medical school and they had zero issues getting a license.

I am aware that medical boards ask about all gaps in education and do scrutinize them, but I am surprised to hear you say that it is "damn near impossible" to get a medical license with a gap.

-Skip

So how do you explain those ppl who take like 6 months to pass COMP? Ross gives them 6 months from after they pass COMP which brings their grand total to 1 year out of commission... Idk about the "impossible" part. Think its a little exaggerated, Skip.

Is it not true that most MD-Phd students have large gaps in the medical school part of their education?

So how do you explain those ppl who take like 6 months to pass COMP? Ross gives them 6 months from after they pass COMP which brings their grand total to 1 year out of commission... Idk about the "impossible" part. Think its a little exaggerated, Skip.

It's not considered a "gap" if you are involved in medical education, research, pursuit, etc.

I am aware that medical boards ask about all gaps in education and do scrutinize them, but I am surprised to hear you say that it is "damn near impossible" to get a medical license with a gap.

Your sister was out for two years and, unless you're not telling us something, had no contact in that time frame with the medical field in a legitimate, bona fide capacity. It sounds to me (and I freely admit I'm no expert) like she is going to have to have to start over from scratch.

-Skip

It's not considered a "gap" if you are involved in medical education, research, pursuit, etc.

Your sister was out for two years and, unless you're not telling us something, had no contact in that time frame with the medical field in a legitimate, bona fide capacity. It sounds to me (and I freely admit I'm no expert) like she is going to have to have to start over from scratch.

-Skip

You misunderstood him... he means she is 2 years away from graduating. She was only out for 6 months.

Also, gap for step 1 study isn't as bad as you're eluding. Family friend is a PD for internal told me that as long as the step score is good, they don't even ask about a gap that's less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
"Reapply after 2 years away"......
It seems like you misunderstood

Dude, Ross would've kicked this girl out long ago. They wouldn't have let her wait around for 2 years.

I go to Ross so I know the deal. They're really strict about that rule. But hey, I could be wrong

Dude, Ross would've kicked this girl out long ago. They wouldn't have let her wait around for 2 years.

I go to Ross so I know the deal. They're really strict about that rule. But hey, I could be wrong

They did withdrawal her, which is why she wants to reapply....after 2 yrs

567wings, how did you get probationary status? What is going on with this site?

-Skip

I do know residents who have large gaps in medical education due to pregnancy, or other issues. As far as I know they had no issues with getting their medical license. Some of these people were foreign graduates. It would seem strange though to say "no contact with the medical field in a legitimate, bona fide capacity". I know one student who took two years off to get an MBA, which had nothing to do with medicine whatsoever.

However, I will look into this more, perhaps it is a much more serious issue to get a medical license with gaps. Thanks for the input, I know that things are very tough for Caribbean grads to begin with and things like this can make them a lot tougher.

567wings, how did you get probationary status? What is going on with this site?

I posted an opinionated post relating to unfaithful classmates in my class who happened to be women. Got too much flack from the PC generation and now I'm on probation.

I do know residents who have large gaps in medical education due to pregnancy, or other issues. As far as I know they had no issues with getting their medical license. Some of these people were foreign graduates. It would seem strange though to say "no contact with the medical field in a legitimate, bona fide capacity". I know one student who took two years off to get an MBA, which had nothing to do with medicine whatsoever.

However, I will look into this more, perhaps it is a much more serious issue to get a medical license with gaps. Thanks for the input, I know that things are very tough for Caribbean grads to begin with and things like this can make them a lot tougher.

State medical boards, medical specialty boards (i.e., the ones who issue board-certifications), and hospital medical staffs frown on time away from medical practice. It varies per state and local staff by-laws, but the "rule of thumb" is that if you are out of direct patient, clinical, or educational contact or practice for longer than three months, they often want a formal explanation as to why. People will begin to question your clinical competency and/or why you were out of practice for so long if you have larger than 12 week/3 month gaps in anything.

It is a complicated issue that, I forewarn you now, may involve lawyers and hearings if you blow it off. The best bet? Stay the course and continue to keep your education/CME up, keep your board-certification requirements current, and don't let any medical licenses lapse unless you plan on never practicing in that state ever again.

(Take this from someone who has been doing this for a while.)

-Skip