General Admissions & OTCAS Getting into a good program with low GRE scores but good resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTtba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we all know how sucky the GRE is. I just can't seem to get that nice 50th percentile score that I'd really like to apply with! I am just worried that my scores will impact my chances of getting into schools like Pitt?

I currently have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.9 prereq GPA.
I have two minors; psychology and gerontology
My gre scores are 141V 148Q and a 4.0 in writing (retaking in July)
I have 400 hours total of observation hours - 100 in inpatient and 300 in hand therapy
I was a co-investiagotr on a research program involving exercise and cognitive function
I am certified in ASL and CPR/AED/First Aid
I started the Pre OT club at my university and was also the president
I am an active member of Psi Chi the psychology honors program
I was on the executive board for our St. Jude program as well as on the executive board for the sophomore honors society
I am alos a FYRST Seminar Peer Leader - where I teach a class of freshmen in my major and help them adjust to college.
I am getting LORs from 2 OTs and 2 professors

There's probably some more but I am forgetting ATM! I am just worried that my GRE scores will put me at a disadvantage. Are GRE scores make it or break it sometimes for an applicant ???

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the schools you're applying to. I wouldn't get too hung up on your GRE score after you retake it, unless you're trying to get into a school that focuses on the written application & don't use interviews. :)

It depends on the schools you're applying to. I wouldn't get too hung up on your GRE score after you retake it, unless you're trying to get into a school that focuses on the written application & don't use interviews. :)
Yeah I know the one school has interviews that I'm interested in ! Pitt needs 50th percentile scores on the gre they say. I'm waiting for my writing score but the first time I took it last year it was a 4.0. I feel like my essays went pretty well this time. Just hopefully they'll consider all my leadership roles! They say they're looking for applicants that show strong leadership skills so...

Members don't see this ad :)
So we all know how sucky the GRE is. I just can't seem to get that nice 50th percentile score that I'd really like to apply with! I am just worried that my scores will impact my chances of getting into schools like Pitt?

I currently have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.9 prereq GPA.
I have two minors; psychology and gerontology
My gre scores are 141V 148Q and a 4.0 in writing (retaking in July)
I have 400 hours total of observation hours - 100 in inpatient and 300 in hand therapy
I was a co-investiagotr on a research program involving exercise and cognitive function
I am certified in ASL and CPR/AED/First Aid
I started the Pre OT club at my university and was also the president
I am an active member of Psi Chi the psychology honors program
I was on the executive board for our St. Jude program as well as on the executive board for the sophomore honors society
I am alos a FYRST Seminar Peer Leader - where I teach a class of freshmen in my major and help them adjust to college.
I am getting LORs from 2 OTs and 2 professors

There's probably some more but I am forgetting ATM! I am just worried that my GRE scores will put me at a disadvantage. Are GRE scores make it or break it sometimes for an applicant ???
I scored 144Q, 150V and 4.0AW and got into my top choice. I thought it would put me at a disadvantage but I spent a lot of time emphasizing the better part of my application such as volunteer experiences and my personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I scored 144Q, 150V and 4.0AW and got into my top choice. I thought it would put me at a disadvantage but I spent a lot of time emphasizing the better part of my application such as volunteer experiences and my personal statement.
Awesome! Congrats! It's just Pitt is my top choice and they say they need scores in the 50th percentile for their OTD program.. ugh. My resume is really good though with a lot of leadership things such as starting the pre OT club, conducted a research study, and many more! (Pitt's website even says they look for applicants that show good leadership skills). I also have 400+ hours right now. This is just sosososo stressful! I stress everyday about applications. I wish we didn't need the GRE. I am taking it again next Monday..

You have strong stats! I was in the same boat this past cycle. I would suggest applying to the schools that you really want to attend but also apply to schools that don't look at the GRE or only look at the writing. I would also write a really great essay, and apply to some rolling admission schools. It relieves the pressure from you if you already have one in the bag. I had to wait until March and I was dying from December-March! Hope this helps!

I wouldn't limit yourself to Pitt. I lived in Pittsburgh for awhile and shadowed there and one person I shadowed told me that Chatham is known for better fieldwork students than Pitt so maybe check them out too :) Pitt is an awesome program for many reasons (and amazing city/school all around), but there are so many choices out there. They were originally my top choice and I got in and ended up turning it down. I think your resume is solid, but like the one person said..they really look for that 50th percentile. Some schools use GRES as an easy way to weed out applicants (like towson, they do their first cut on GPA and GRE), but I honestly don't think many other schools care as along as you meet their base requirements and have other awesome things which you clearly do!

Best of luck!

I wouldn't limit yourself to Pitt. I lived in Pittsburgh for awhile and shadowed there and one person I shadowed told me that Chatham is known for better fieldwork students than Pitt so maybe check them out too :) Pitt is an awesome program for many reasons (and amazing city/school all around), but there are so many choices out there. They were originally my top choice and I got in and ended up turning it down. I think your resume is solid, but like the one person said..they really look for that 50th percentile. Some schools use GRES as an easy way to weed out applicants (like towson, they do their first cut on GPA and GRE), but I honestly don't think many other schools care as along as you meet their base requirements and have other awesome things which you clearly do!

Best of luck!

Hey thanks! You're so kind. Chatham is my #2 choice .. really hope I get an interview and accepted there! I have so much to talk about so an interview would do me very well. Would be able to elaborate on my personal statement and experiences more.

I'm taking the gre again Monday and if I don't get 50th percentile scores so be it at this point. I am way more than a test score! I keep telling myself if they don't accept me it's their loss. It would be perfect to get into pitt or Chatham because I live twenty minutes away! This is such a stressful time. I'm just going to try to keep positive and remind myself I've done everything I can to make myself a successful applicant!