Getting in to 2-year AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalcalde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a 3rd year dental student doing army HPSP and am prior service army enlisted and am interested in doing the 2 year AEGD and retiring in the army. This summer I wanted to go to one of the locations for doing the 2 year and do an externship type thing to introduce myself and show those in the program I'm not a doofus. What location do you think would be best to do this at other than Hawaii and best way to set that up? Also has anyone done this and do you think it helped?

Thanks!

-J

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely helps. The only other 2 locations are Ft. Hood and Ft. Bragg, so it is your choice.
I know the locations but how do you propose getting in touch with someone to go to those locations and spend a week there, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
You must contact the Dental Corps ADT Coordinator, Roxanne O'Neal, through the website listed below.

[email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
Could anyone share their experiences doing an ADT while in school? What should we expect to do/not allowed to do while we stay in the assigned base?

I did BOLC before dental school so I was pretty squared away but if that doesn't apply to you then definitely meet with your recruiter so you know how to wear the uniform, salute, etc.

Some schools that require externships can have the ADT replace that requirement so look into that. To be an official ADT (meaning orders, funding) it needs to be 21-45 days in length - shorter than that you can still get permission to visit but finding/transportation/housing will be up to you.

Technically you are not credentialed and will hold no privileges so you cannot do any procedures - it's not like working under someone else's license at school. Some programs will relax that rule but make absolutely sure that you establish clear boundaries with your sponsor and don't overstep, it can get you and a lot of other people in trouble. If your sponsor says you will only be shadowing then absolutely do not touch a patient regardless of what any provider/assistant tells you is "okay".

Roxanne will set everything up for you but get in touch with her early and often, like everything in the military it takes longer and is more complicated than it should be. She will cut you individual orders that will explain travel (flights over certain distance authorized through Carlson Wagonlit travel agency) and rental car (unlikely but depends on the post). You will most likely stay in an IHG Army hotel.

This will be like a working job interview for you, it's an excellent opportunity to impress some of the people that have a stake in your application and hopefully get a letter of recommendation. Make sure you are prepared, read up on what you'll be seeing beforehand, and be the first person there and the last to leave.

Reactions: 1 user
I did BOLC before dental school so I was pretty squared away but if that doesn't apply to you then definitely meet with your recruiter so you know how to wear the uniform, salute, etc.

Some schools that require externships can have the ADT replace that requirement so look into that. To be an official ADT (meaning orders, funding) it needs to be 21-45 days in length - shorter than that you can still get permission to visit but finding/transportation/housing will be up to you.

Technically you are not credentialed and will hold no privileges so you cannot do any procedures - it's not like working under someone else's license at school. Some programs will relax that rule but make absolutely sure that you establish clear boundaries with your sponsor and don't overstep, it can get you and a lot of other people in trouble. If your sponsor says you will only be shadowing then absolutely do not touch a patient regardless of what any provider/assistant tells you is "okay".

Roxanne will set everything up for you but get in touch with her early and often, like everything in the military it takes longer and is more complicated than it should be. She will cut you individual orders that will explain travel (flights over certain distance authorized through Carlson Wagonlit travel agency) and rental car (unlikely but depends on the post). You will most likely stay in an IHG Army hotel.

This will be like a working job interview for you, it's an excellent opportunity to impress some of the people that have a stake in your application and hopefully get a letter of recommendation. Make sure you are prepared, read up on what you'll be seeing beforehand, and be the first person there and the last to leave.

Thank you for the helpful information. Like you said, I have not completed my BOLC prior to starting my dental school so I lack any basic training. That being said, would I be expected to be in uniform and follow Army regulations during the duration of my ADT? I am about to get my order to the Tripler Medical Center this coming August.

Yes, you will have to report in uniform and likely come to and from the clinic you'll be shadowing in uniform if that is the policy the other providers follow - you'll likely be in uniform if you're coming/going during normal duty hours at a 2yr AEGD however some OMS programs are fine with you wearing civies since the long hours will be outside the duty day.

Get with a local recruiter and they should be able to help you out. You need to get your uniforms/patches/name-tapes squared away. They will also go over rank structure so you will understand saluting and how to properly address everyone.

Yes, you will have to report in uniform and likely come to and from the clinic you'll be shadowing in uniform if that is the policy the other providers follow - you'll likely be in uniform if you're coming/going during normal duty hours at a 2yr AEGD however some OMS programs are fine with you wearing civies since the long hours will be outside the duty day.

Get with a local recruiter and they should be able to help you out. You need to get your uniforms/patches/name-tapes squared away. They will also go over rank structure so you will understand saluting and how to properly address everyone.
Thank you again for the information. I will be sure to be in contact with my local recruiter.