Getting a job in a far away location...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a recently matched future rad onc. I am really happy with where I matched and am looking forward to the next 5 years.
However, where I matched is geographically REALLY far away from where I hope to eventually practice (pp). To add to this, the place I am hoping to go I don't have any "ties" to yet, except that my family is slowly drifting there and my significant other is also extremely keen to go there, and we love it.
All this to say, can anyone give me some tips on what to do over the next 4 years that might help me make this move a reality? Specific ways to network, conferences to visit, anything?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing to do is take time off, like vacation, and call all of the practices in that area and say "Hi, I'm a resident and I'm interested in maybe joining your group some day. Can I come visit for a day?" Not too early--maybe PGY-3 or PGY-4. Then keep in touch with them periodically.

Best thing to do is take time off, like vacation, and call all of the practices in that area and say "Hi, I'm a resident and I'm interested in maybe joining your group some day. Can I come visit for a day?" Not too early--maybe PGY-3 or PGY-4. Then keep in touch with them periodically.
And after that initial contact, offer to locums if/when the need arises.... a great way to have a mutual extended interview for both parties

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user