Getting a Dog as a PGY1 Dermatology resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPF100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've finally been fortunate to match to Dermatology (Canada), incoming PGY1 this summer - I wanted to get a dog for the longest time but with other commitments just didn't see myself having the right time or living situation.

Now, I'll be living in my own place and wanted to ask for advice from fellow residents/students/MDs what kind of dog they recommend for a single very active male resident (runner, hiker etc) outdoorsy type.

I have been eyeing Goldendoodles/Labradoodles for a while and their personality seems like welcomed friendly companionship?

Any recommendations/advice/pearls of wisdom?

Members don't see this ad.

Huskies are great for an active lifestyle but they are definitely pack dogs and would probably become destructive if you left them alone with no one else in the house for extended periods of time every single day.

Agreed that's what I've heard.

Golden doodles seem expensive but would they be worth it in terms of personality and usually are Derm residencies schedules allowing of a dog that type?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've finally been fortunate to match to Dermatology (Canada), incoming PGY1 this summer - I wanted to get a dog for the longest time but with other commitments just didn't see myself having the right time or living situation.

Now, I'll be living in my own place and wanted to ask for advice from fellow residents/students/MDs what kind of dog they recommend for a single very active male resident (runner, hiker etc) outdoorsy type.

I have been eyeing Goldendoodles/Labradoodles for a while and their personality seems like welcomed friendly companionship?

Any recommendations/advice/pearls of wisdom?

Adopt a dog through a valid and respected rescue. You can get a two year old who already has the temperament and energy level you are looking for. With a puppy it can be a crap shoot. I'm sure there Are golden doodle specific rescues. I have a Wheaton terrier and love him. He has the perfect energy level (can crush a hike but also sleep all day) and he doesn't shed.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you get him as a PGY1 Derm? Solo caregiver for him/her?

Wheaton terriers look like the perfect mix for busy resident lifestyles?

All dogs are pack animals. As their person, you are their pack, unless you are working full time, in which case the person who cares for them while you are working is their secondary pack leader, and possibly even their primary pack leader.

You weren't thinking of leaving a dog on its own for 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, were you?

I agree with the idea of considering an adult dog from a rescue or shelter. Puppies need frequent potty breaks and more time/effort to train. Older dogs have often chilled out a bit and have bigger bladders. When I was a psych intern I adopted a 2 yo poodle mix from our local shelter and she adapted well to being home alone during the day (I had a partner to let her out when I was overnight call though).

Yes, I agree they are pack animals and need frequent companionship. I was intending to pay for a dog walker during the day and then spend evenings/weekends with him and possibly any additional time I would have had off.