Georgia State DIY Post Bacc - too spread out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pointodr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm 30yo and work in finance. I graduated from Emory in 2009 with a degree in business and a 3.5 having taken most of the premed classes (all except bio 2 and organic 2) decided to pursue business, have always regretted it, and here I am!

I am considering quitting my job and starting a post bacc program at GSU this summer. Here's how it would look, roughly:

Summer:
Chem 1
Psychology

Fall:
Chem 2
Physics 1

Spring:
Organic 1
Physics 2

Summer:
Organic 2
Bio 1

Fall:
Bio 2
Biochemistry

Spring: MCAT and apply

So 5 semesters total, and I would use my free time to take an EMT course, work part time as an EMT, volunteer, shadow, take care of my son, etc.

How does this sound? I am worried that, due to my less than stellar undergraduate GPA, med schools will want to see a more rigourous course load in my post bacc, to prove that I can handle it. What do you think? Is 2 classes at a time while amassing extracurriculars and working part time enough? Or should I stretch myself more? It's worth noting that the minimum time it can be done in is 5 semesters, given the required sequence of classes, so the question is really if I should add extra classes.

Also, should I even retake all these classes, or go straight into upper level? I personally would like to re-take, as it's been 10+ years and I think it would help me for the MCAT. But how do med schools see it?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

3.5 isn't that deficient. White matriculants have about a 3.75 on an SD of .25. So you're 30th percentile or so. Bump it to 3.7 with your postbac.

Why do you assume I'm white?

I have 160 credits already, so I can't bump it up to a 3.7 unless i take a LOT more credits. I could make it up to a 3.6 with a 4.0 post bacc.

I'm not really looking for a "what are my chances", however, more of a "how can I maximise my chances"?

He's got a chip on his shoulder about how unfair affirmative action is (calls it "Jim Crowe Light"). Some people include that they are either from over-represented in medicine (some Asian populations, white males) or under-represented (African-American, some Latinx populations) because it affects what average stats they need for admission.

Back to your original point: I had a very similar trajectory to you (had taken a good amount of the pre-med classes in undergrad, graduated same year). The biggest difference between your history and mine is that I hadn't had physics I or II, but the rest overlap. I decided NOT to retake Gen Bio I or Gen Chem I and self-studied Gen Chem (Gen Bio is way easier to just recall/review for MCAT). The Chem I review was needed for Chem II but I am glad I didn't spend tuition money on it after spending 2 months working through the problems in a textbook and watching Khan Academy. Organic I is probably a good idea to re-take.

How's your physics recall? Do you think you could self-study Phys I (generally the easier/less MCAT applicable portion) and just re-take Phys II? Just trying to help save you some time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
He's got a chip on his shoulder about how unfair affirmative action is (calls it "Jim Crowe Light"). Some people include that they are either from over-represented in medicine (some Asian populations, white males) or under-represented (African-American, some Latinx populations) because it affects what average stats they need for admission.

Back to your original point: I had a very similar trajectory to you (had taken a good amount of the pre-med classes in undergrad, graduated same year). The biggest difference between your history and mine is that I hadn't had physics I or II, but the rest overlap. I decided NOT to retake Gen Bio I or Gen Chem I and self-studied Gen Chem (Gen Bio is way easier to just recall/review for MCAT). The Chem I review was needed for Chem II but I am glad I didn't spend tuition money on it after spending 2 months working through the problems in a textbook and watching Khan Academy. Organic I is probably a good idea to re-take.

How's your physics recall? Do you think you could self-study Phys I (generally the easier/less MCAT applicable portion) and just re-take Phys II? Just trying to help save you some time and money.

Funny you should say that - it's exactly what I was thinking. I think I will re-take everything except Physics 1 and 2, and add a couple of higher level classes like molecular biology and genetics.

How did your application cycle go? Did you get lots of acceptances? What kind of questions did you face in interviews? Any about those classes you didn't retake? Did you do a formal post bacc or informal? It's rare to come across someone with such a similar unique background.

Thanks

PS - I am white

Funny you should say that - it's exactly what I was thinking. I think I will re-take everything except Physics 1 and 2, and add a couple of higher level classes like molecular biology and genetics.

How did your application cycle go? Did you get lots of acceptances? What kind of questions did you face in interviews? Any about those classes you didn't retake? Did you do a formal post bacc or informal? It's rare to come across someone with such a similar unique background.

Thanks

PS - I am white
I think that's a good plan (I added on an upper level cell bio class and I am SO GLAD I did that, so I think your plan for those higher level classes is spot on).

My app cycle went really well, I had 6 or 7 acceptances plus some wait lists. I never had a post-interview rejection, just waitlist (a few of which turned into acceptances). But my first acceptance was my first choice, and that was in October, so the rest of the cycle was super chill for me.

My post-bacc was very informal and DIY style. I enrolled in a local university that had a pre-med advisor for the traditional undergrads, and I made friends with the pre-med advisor so she would help me out too. She helped me learn about the mock interviews offered, etc. that I may not have heard about otherwise since I was removed from the traditional undergrad scene. I don't think doing it DIY puts you at an advantage if you're willing to seek out help on your own. Some people like the structured programs, but I didn't need the coddling. It's 100% personality and personal style as far as if you want formal or informal (both have pros and cons!).

Edited to add: Whoops forgot to address 2 of your questions.

1. I wasn't ever asked about taking/retaking classes after interviewers heard my story and my meandering path to medicine.
2. Most questions stemmed from the initial "Tell me about yourself" and were follow ups to expand or clarify my history and experience. Actually most of the questions were about the experiences I had, because that makes me unique from the traditional applicant who is a senior in college and doesn't necessarily have as much life experiences to talk about. Interviews were relaxed and easy for me, but I never did an MMI.

Great, thanks ! What was your GPA and MCAT if you don't mind me asking? Both undergraduate and post bacc

Hey! Congrats on your decision to make the plunge. I know it's a scary choice to make, but deciding to pursue your dream takes courage.

I have a similar background to you. I also graduated from Emory (with a lower initial gpa) but did not take any science classes, since my major was non premed related. This did play into my favor though bc I ended up with a high science gpa and post bacc gpa compared to my overall gpa.

I started out with 2 then switched to 3 classes per semester while at GSU while being involved in research and volunteering. I don't think you should worry about 2 classes being seen as too light though. It never came up during Med school interviews this cycle.

All in all, I enjoyed my time as a post bacc student at GSU. The classes aren't as rigorous at a school like Emory (obviously) but you will still learn what you need for the MCAT.

My advice would be to make the most of your time. Try to get to know your professors well, which will be HUGE for rec letters. And try to connect with other students for support along the way. I initially didn't know this but GSU has a huge post bacc population with older students like yourself

Wow, great - thanks for sharing!

My undergraduate GPA was 3.5 and science GPA 3.5...So with a 4.0 post bacc my overall GPA would be 3.6 and science would be 3.75. I stupidly got an F and D my first semester freshman year. Without this I would have a 3.7 right now. Oh well - hopefully the adcoms will look past this.

How many interviews and acceptances did you manage to get?

How did you get research opportunities? Paid?

Did you register as a degree seeking student or just post bacc? Any professors you would recommend or steer clear of?

Thanks so much! Apologies for all the questions.

Great, thanks ! What was your GPA and MCAT if you don't mind me asking? Both undergraduate and post bacc
Uhh... cGPA was like 3.7, science GPA was like 3.6 (which included a D in calculus from my freshman year haha). I think those are close? MCAT was in the low 510's.

Be sure to take Biology with Dr. Carmen Eilertson aka Dr. E. She's tough, but if you work hard and make an A (I did it), then you'll be in her good graces, especially as a pre-med and with LORs. If not Biology, either physiology, surgical anatomy, histology, or pathophysiology.

Hey! Congrats on your decision to make the plunge. I know it's a scary choice to make, but deciding to pursue your dream takes courage.

I have a similar background to you. I also graduated from Emory (with a lower initial gpa) but did not take any science classes, since my major was non premed related. This did play into my favor though bc I ended up with a high science gpa and post bacc gpa compared to my overall gpa.

I started out with 2 then switched to 3 classes per semester while at GSU while being involved in research and volunteering. I don't think you should worry about 2 classes being seen as too light though. It never came up during Med school interviews this cycle.

All in all, I enjoyed my time as a post bacc student at GSU. The classes aren't as rigorous at a school like Emory (obviously) but you will still learn what you need for the MCAT.

My advice would be to make the most of your time. Try to get to know your professors well, which will be HUGE for rec letters. And try to connect with other students for support along the way. I initially didn't know this but GSU has a huge post bacc population with older students like yourself
Hi, may I ask were you enrolled in a formal program at GSU? I'm from MS, and my husband and I may be moving to Georgia for his work. So, I'll need to start looking at schools in GA to complete my pre preqs for med school.

Hi, may I ask were you enrolled in a formal program at GSU? I'm from MS, and my husband and I may be moving to Georgia for his work. So, I'll need to start looking at schools in GA to complete my pre preqs for med school.
If you're moving to Atlanta or the metropolitan area, then check out Georgia State University, Kennesaw State University, Georgia Tech, and Emory University. In east Georgia there is UGA, in west Georgia there is West Georgia University, and in north Georgia there is the University of North Georgia. I'm sure I'm missing others but those are the big ones in the upper half of Georgia.

If you're moving to Atlanta or the metropolitan area, then check out Georgia State University, Kennesaw State University, Georgia Tech, and Emory University. In east Georgia there is UGA, in west Georgia, there is West Georgia University, and in north Georgia, there is the University of North Georgia. I'm sure I'm missing others but those are the big ones in the upper half of Georgia.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. That helped a lot. Google gives too many options, and I had no idea which would help with what I needed. Once I check those out, how would you suggest I go about starting the DIY post bacc? How did you structure your classes as I know most of what I'll need for medical school or in sequential order -- the hardest part seems to be getting started.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. That helped a lot. Google gives too many options, and I had no idea which would help with what I needed. Once I check those out, how would you suggest I go about starting the DIY post bacc? How did you structure your classes as I know most of what I'll need for medical school or in sequential order -- the hardest part seems to be getting started.
I already graduated and took my required pre-reqs so I am doing a post-bac for grade repair reasons. As a result, I have to take a ton of upper level science courses so my schedule will look different than yours will.

Are you only taking the pre-reqs?

I am starting my DIY post-bac in spring 2018. I applied to KSU as a Biology degree seeking student so that I am eligible for financial aid but I don't plan on earning the degree. From what I have read, med school adcoms want to see you take a full load of classes to show that you can handle a rigorous academic schedule so taking one or two classes may be looked down upon unless you work a full time job. However, don't make the mistake that some people make by taking 20 credits and getting all C's. Find your balance but you will have to push yourself.

Thank you everyone, all of your comments were super helpful my questions were answered before I had to ask