GenSurg Programs with Good Operative Experience/Atmosphere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eithz H

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am currently applying to general surgery. Throughout the application process I found that some of the best information comes from word-of-mouth, from people who actually rotated at different residency programs as either 3rd/4th year students. So I was wondering if anyone had worked with a gen-surg residency program that produced great surgical technicians while also maintaining a relatively positive work environment. And by positive work environment, I mean an environment where people generally get along and are not miserable all the time.

I feel that I am in a pretty good position in terms of applying gen-surg residencies (Florida medical school, 261/264 on Step 1/2, 5/6 honors on 3rd year clerkships (other was high pass), AOA, GHHS, and a strong amount of research/publications/posters). I'm applying to a mix of community, hybrid community-academic, and academic programs.

At the end of the day, I'm just looking for a group of people who are willing to work hard, love surgery, but are still cool a the end of the day. Any insight on programs that reflect this type of environment would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all those who are currently in the application process!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user