Generous scholarship versus top-choice school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeproots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finding myself in a very fortunate situation. I've been accepted into my two top-choice schools. I'll call them School A and School B. Both are mid-tier (very similar ranking), public schools in my state of residence, so the cost is very similar and affordable compared to schools in other states. I really like the locations of both School A and B, which is an important factor for me when choosing a school.

I've also been accepted into another school that I'll call School C. I really liked the curriculum, size, and supportive environment of School C, but I really, really don't like where it's located (and I know I don't like it because I've lived there before). Also, it's a lower-tier school. That doesn't matter as much as location, but it is something that I consider.

I recently got an email from School C awarding me a very generous scholarship. Enough to cover almost 100% of tuition and fees for the next 4 years.

I don't know what to do. I really like Schools A and B, but I don't know if I like them enough relative to School C to justify passing up such a generous scholarship. Plus, every practicing physician who I've talked to said that it doesn't matter where you go to school because you're going to get a strong medical education anywhere.

Can anybody offer advice? I thought that I had it narrowed down to two schools before I got the email, and now I'm back to the drawing board!

Members don't see this ad.

post-30826-Ed-Norton-laptop-close-gif-Hul-Teya.gif

Reactions: 8 users
What specialty are you interested in at this point? Do you have undergraduate debt? Are your parents/family members going to help you with the debt? Do you have independent wealth?

All factors to consider, money is a big deal and I would not lightly turn down a scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've already laid out all the factors for yourself. It's time for you to make a decision. No one else can make it for you.

Reactions: 3 users
What specialty are you interested in at this point? Do you have undergraduate debt? Are your parents/family members going to help you with the debt? Do you have independent wealth?

All factors to consider, money is a big deal and I would not lightly turn down a scholarship.

I'm interested in primary care, but I have a lot of varied interests so I could see myself becoming interested in some lucrative speciality. That's a part of my concern because the school offering me a scholarship is newer and not as established. Luckily, I do not have any undergraduate debt. I doubt I'll have much help from family with debt and there's no independent wealth to consider. It would be so nice to graduate without significant debt (as I have my spouse to help with living expenses) :/

I'd go to school C, you'll thank yourself in the long run!

Reactions: 6 users
It's easy to say School C based on imaginary numbers, because for most schools in most states, the numbers would be pretty substantial. In other states (like Texas, for example), the cost differences just aren't that big.

I'd estimate the total cost of attending each of the three schools over the course of all four years. Also include the cost of living, and since you mention a spouse, be sure to factor in the job market and economy for him/her in each city. Consider also that some cities are known for having the best ethnic food in the state ;)

Going to an accredited US MD school for free would be an awesome feat. Unless you and your family have some generous cash flow I don't think ~100k (my random lowball guessing) is worth it, especially if your main goal is primary care. I'm not sure that the pedigree of a 'mid-tier' school would far out shadow that of a 'low-tier'.

Either school you go to, from my understanding, the largest factors for residency is Step 1 and grades which you could definitely achieve at either.

You've already laid out all the factors for yourself. It's time for you to make a decision. No one else can make it for you.

Agreed. Welcome to the real world - time to put on the big boy/girl pants. No one can make this decision for you. Do your research, do some reflection on what's important to you, and make the best decision you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Med school for free sounds pretty rad. You can always do your residency in an area you prefer.

Reactions: 1 users
Med school kind of sucks no matter where you go. Take the one that's not going to steal your money.

/I always like hearing what schools we're actually talking about though on these threads.

It's easy to say School C based on imaginary numbers, because for most schools in most states, the numbers would be pretty substantial. In other states (like Texas, for example), the cost differences just aren't that big.

I'd estimate the total cost of attending each of the three schools over the course of all four years. Also include the cost of living, and since you mention a spouse, be sure to factor in the job market and economy for him/her in each city. Consider also that some cities are known for having the best ethnic food in the state ;)

@DoktorMom is right. These are Texas state schools so even the low ball guesstimate of 100K that someone tossed out there is high. We're talking maximum 18K per year tuition and fees. 72K in debt. (I'm assuming this scholarship doesn't include housing, food, miscellaneous expenses, and whatever else is factored into the COA outside tuition and fees).

Now, ask yourself how that 72K would be paid for? How much would you be in debt for? How much a financial aid package may net you in grant money? How much you may make in work-study over 4 years, and anything else? No one can determine the the opportunity-cost of the situation for you other than yourself.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to guess, I would say that school C is Texas Tech at El Paso because it's the newest med school in Texas. That's a tough choice because El Paso isn't the most desirable location out of all the possible Texas schools and it's really isolated. I actually can't find the cost of attendance for EL Paso, but for Lubbock, the tuition+fees was only $14,000 per year. Even though it's still not a small amount of cash, a physician can probably pay it off in 1-2 years as an attending.

Last edited:
Schools A and B are UTHSC San Antonio and UTMB with School C being Texas Tech El Paso.

Op, you could have just told us this in the first post.

Commence the real thread...

They're all in texas.... the cost differential for instate is going to be pretty low even after that scholarship.

If I had to guess, I would say that school C is Texas Tech at El Paso because it's the newest med school in Texas. That's a tough choice because El Paso isn't the most desirable location out of all the possible Texas schools and it's really isolated. I actually can't find the cost of attendance for EL Paso, but for Lubbock, the tuition+fees was only $14,000 per year. Even though it's still not a small amount of cash, a physician can probably pay it off in 1-2 years as an attending.

I lived in El Paso 4 years, it's not the 7th circle of hell and it's certainly tolerable for 4 years of medical school. Believe or not there are actually some good things about the city and surrounding area, especially if you're an outdoors person. The CoL is also cheaper than all of those options as well.

Normally, I'd say go for the money, but in your case, a higher consideration prevails. Instead, go where your spouse will be happiest.
This. Then just make him/her pay your loans so it's as if you got 100% scholarship.

Rumor has it that UTHSCSA has the happiest medical students in Texas, and SA is a much bigger city than many folks imagine, so potentially lots of career options for your spouse. A newish systems-based curriculum that students seem to really like. Also reputedly the best Mexican food in the state.

People would say mostly the same things for El Paso -- BIG city, great new facilities, great Mexican food. I'm guessing that's where you lived before and didn't like so much though...

UTMB is rumored to be very laid back and the students score very well on STEP 1. But IMO, the city itself is pretty depressing. Between Galveston and South Houston, your spouse should have plenty of career opportunities, but the difficulty of commuting from Galveston into Houston should NOT be under-estimated.

Overall, First World Problems ;-)

Reactions: 2 users
Schools A and B are UTHSC San Antonio and UTMB with School C being Texas Tech El Paso.

Op, you could have just told us this in the first post.

Commence the real thread...

They're all in texas.... the cost differential for instate is going to be pretty low even after that scholarship.
Jeez, are you a wizard? I was having a go at the whole anonymity thing until you stepped in ;) The cost differential is pretty low (relative to other schools/states), but still, it's hard to walk away from a substantial scholarship.

Haha, I really hate keeping the schools under wraps like this because it absolutely matters.

Side note, you have a spouse and that changes things, but if the cost differential is low (which it is), then there's certainly a cost for your happiness. There's an opportunity cost for every decision and it's yours to make at this point. Personally, I would probably go to the place that I liked most if the cost differential wasn't greater than the 5-10K range a year.

Not saying you do, but I think if you're going to have the mentality "I'm only here at Tech El Paso just bc they gave me a scholarship and I'm unhappy otherwise but I just need to suck it up for 4 years," then don't go. $70k is a lot of money but not worth your happiness at a place both you and your spouse would love to be at. Congratulations either way!

What do you guys think of someone turning down a full tuition scholarship at a mid tier state school (OOS tuition ~40k/yr) for a top 5 school?

What do you guys think of someone turning down a full tuition scholarship at a mid tier state school (OOS tuition ~40k/yr) for a top 5 school?

Depends on your priorities. If your heart is set on academia (read: research career at big academic centers) and you know that somehow then I would probably go top 5 and take the debt. Provided the debt isn't absurd (sub 300k) and you actually like everything else about the school outside of it being top 5.

If that is not a priority of yours then I would take the money and run.

Either way I think it's written somewhere around here that medical school pedigree only comes into play at powerhouse academic residencies that have the luxury of caring and even then only in a limited role.

It's all about your priorities. Write out pros and cons and keep "~160,000 dollars" in the pros but scratch out "top 5" in the other school's pro list and then try to assess the situation.

Usually I say take the money and run but top 5...man thats tough. If your on all loans and little outside support for tuition then I would say it still may be favorable to take the scholarship, 300K+ in debt is not going to be fun to pay off. Like OP it is really on you to decide what is best for you.

Hi everyone. I decided to update this post 2 years later (lol) in case it helps somebody in the future. Although I originally did not intend to name the schools between which I was deciding, their identities were guessed; hence, I want to specify how my decision turned out. I ended up choosing Texas Tech Paul L. Foster El Paso over other more highly ranked Texas schools, and I can truly say that I have never been happier in my life than I am at PLFSOM. The only regret I have is letting the notoriety and prestige of other schools cloud my judgment early on in the selection process. Personal happiness is essential to success in medical school :)

I will try to check my SDN account periodically in case anyone reading this is facing a similar difficult situation and wants some advice. Cheers!

Hi everyone. I decided to update this post 2 years later (lol) in case it helps somebody in the future. Although I originally did not intend to name the schools between which I was deciding, their identities were guessed; hence, I want to specify how my decision turned out. I ended up choosing Texas Tech Paul L. Foster El Paso over other more highly ranked Texas schools, and I can truly say that I have never been happier in my life than I am at PLFSOM. The only regret I have is letting the notoriety and prestige of other schools cloud my judgment early on in the selection process. Personal happiness is essential to success in medical school :)

I will try to check my SDN account periodically in case anyone reading this is facing a similar difficult situation and wants some advice. Cheers!
What do you mean "more highly ranked Texas schools"? Your post said top 5. Meaning like Harvard ucsf Stanford jhu Penn etc.

What do you mean "more highly ranked Texas schools"? Your post said top 5. Meaning like Harvard ucsf Stanford jhu Penn etc.

The original post was talking about two mid-tier schools. The thread just got side-tracked.

I'm facing the same decision OP. Except one of the schools is a Top 20 with $350K+ in loans including undergrad debt. The second is a mid-tier with 190K or lower including undergrad debt. I'm leaning towards the mid-tier, but still not sure! It would help to know that I would for sure be able to pay the debt, but nothing is guaranteed nowadays.

Last edited:
In law, they say HYS or scholly

In medicine, I say HJS or scholly.

The original post was talking about two mid-tier schools. The thread just got side-tracked.

I'm facing the same decision OP. Except one of the schools is a Top 20 with $350K+ in loans including undergrad debt. The second is a mid-tier with 190K or lower including undergrad debt. I'm leaning towards the mid-tier, but still not sure! It would help to know that I would for sure be able to pay the debt, but nothing is guaranteed nowadays.

What a great problem to have :) It is a difficult decision, though. I think one real benefit of going to a prestigious school with lots of NIH funding is if you want to stick to academia/research. Otherwise, though, the name of the school doesn't seem to matter. I really think the most important thing to consider is your predicted happiness at each school, which takes a lot of individual preferences into account. If you got a "feeling" about one school and didn't get that same feeling with the others, then consider that your subconscious trying to tell you something (at least in my very biased opinion). Best of luck with your decision!