General range for interview dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeLikeBueller

Doctor of Comic Relief
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, this is not a question for the current application cycle (so no, "dude it's too late" posts) - I'm looking to apply next year.

I tried to search through some of the older posts, but couldn't find anything terribly helpful.

My question is this: is there a month that the bulk of interviews tend to occur in?

I know that the interview process stretches from August until December at most schools, and I know that each school is going to be slightly different.

The reason that I ask, is because in my academic program for next year (pharmacy rotations), I actually have to schedule time off in month-long blocks. I get one month from May-August, one month from September-December, and one month for the remainder of the academic year. I'm just trying to spit-ball here so that if I am fortunate enough to get a few interviews, they will hopefully fall in that month off (it's pretty much impossible to take a day off on rotations w/ out being failed for the rotation :().

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I just posted this last week. The general consensus seemed to be September-November being the big months. I would perhaps request October off if you can only pick one between September and December. Do you also hopefully have additional days off for professional leave (with my school I can take off 5 during rotations). Remember for this range to apply you must apply early!

Lol I just posted this last week. The general consensus seemed to be September-November being the big months. I would perhaps request October off if you can only pick one between September and December. Do you also hopefully have additional days off for professional leave (with my school I can take off 5 during rotations).

Sorry I missed the earlier post...I was using the search function on here and it just turned up a bunch of posts on the pre-dental thread?

Anyways, my school will excuse absences for things like professional meetings and pharmacy competitions, but I don't exactly know what the policy is for med-school interviews...haha.

It would be especially problematic if I had multiple interviews in the same month

I could ask my preceptor for a day off, but if they ask what it's for, I have a feeling they would look down on that pretty heavily. That's why I was hoping to roll the dice on a specific month.

EDIT: just looked at your post from the other week...very helpful. Sorry about the re-post.

Also, are you taking off for mid-year next year?

If your school has unlimited excuses for professional leave you should be golden! I'm sure if you talk with your APPE department they would include medical school interviews under their definition, as mine did. I also might have to ask my preceptors if I run into trouble with going over 5 days. Your right that you may encounter a bitter pharmacist who gets annoyed that you plan to switch professions, but I don't think it will be a issue for most people. Career changes happen in many fields for one reason or another, and along if you are courteous and professional to your preceptor I'm sure most of them would return the favor.

Last edited: