Gen Surg + Surg CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoevolution

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is GS+SCC, and what is the job market/lifestyle? I'm not really asking about trauma surg, but are there jobs that blend SICU shifts with gen surg responsibilities? What is their typical day to day?

Members don't see this ad.

The typical model is trauma/scc/acute care surgery. Any Hospital big enough to need a surgical intensivist will have a trauma program.

Of course, every practice environment is different , but you probably can't do this and also establish an elective GS practice.

Every practice big enough to have a surgical intensivist does not have a trauma program. My institution has several SICU attendings who have elective general surgery practices and take ACS call.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
The typical model is trauma/scc/acute care surgery. Any Hospital big enough to need a surgical intensivist will have a trauma program.

Of course, every practice environment is different , but you probably can't do this and also establish an elective GS practice.

Would this mean a 2 year trauma + SCC fellowship? I'm curious in that case as to who ends up doing the 1y SCC? The fellowship is also open to all surgeons except for optho, but do other fields tend to not go into it?

The majority of surgical critical care fellowships are 1 year. Some of the bigger places which have big trauma programs have added on a second year which includes more operative experience, but the vast majority are still just the 1 year programs. While many do trauma + critical care, you do not have to do trauma to do critical care. Critical care is a board-certification whereas trauma is not.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, no such thing as a certified "trauma" fellowship - doing SCC gets you into trauma, ACS or SICU jobs which often overlap but not always. 2nd year of a 2-year fellowship can be any number of things - trauma, ACS, research, professional development, graduated attendinghood, etc. whatever the program sets up. The 1st year is all you need to be certified so whether or not the second year is worth it depends on your career goals.

My group does elective GS along with all three of the above (academics), and I know of a private group in Colorado that does as well. If you wanted to do just SICU and elective GS (+/- ACS) in a non-academic setting then my guess is that your best bet would be to sign on with a critical care group somewhere (either one that is SCC and does ACS but not trauma, or joining a ACCM group) then use your non-service weeks to do clinic and schedule your elective GS cases. Hard to say on typical day to day for GS+SICU alone since it isn't as common, that will also make job market harder since you need to be creative. Trauma\CC\ACS job market is good, while lifestyle totally varies depending upon the place; it is what you make it.

How common is GS+SCC, and what is the job market/lifestyle? I'm not really asking about trauma surg, but are there jobs that blend SICU shifts with gen surg responsibilities? What is their typical day to day?

The easiest model is that of acute care surgery (+\- trauma) with SICU. You can set this up in a number of different ways. Because these fields are easy to schedule as week on/week off, it's easy to pick the number of weeks in each discipline depending on what your group allows. Much harder to have an elective general surgery practice plus critical care.

Finally,

Critical care is a one year fellowship that can be done between your PGY3-4 years or after all 5 years of general surgery. The above posts summarize the reasons for doing a second trauma or ACS year, and that it's not ever required.