Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeaPT96

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on taking a gap year before PT school?

Just curious. I am graduating early from UT Austin and feel that I should take a gap year before applying this summer. I have the GPA, the prereqs done and am taking the GRE soon, but also feel that I'm not ready to jump into PT school. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I took 2 years off to work in the field as an aide and accumulate a ton of hours to boost my application. I don't regret spending that time making money and building better connections for recommendations. I never didn't look forward to going back to school like my parents worried about, because I knew the money wasn't good as an aide and DPT was always my goal. Honestly, it seems like half my class took time before starting school... whether that be by choice or not getting accepted previously I'm not sure.

I took 2 years off to work in the field as an aide and accumulate a ton of hours to boost my application. I don't regret spending that time making money and building better connections for recommendations. I never didn't look forward to going back to school like my parents worried about, because I knew the money wasn't good as an aide and DPT was always my goal. Honestly, it seems like half my class took time before starting school... whether that be by choice or not getting accepted previously I'm not sure.

I work as a PT Tech right now and I love what I do. I know that my job at this clinic is secure so if I did take the year off, I would be able to build my hours as you did. I guess I'm just nervous about the recommendation letters? If I took a year off from school, I feel like I'd lose the rec letter promised from my advisor. I am not close enough with any of my profs to ask for one. Also, I feel like maybe I should apply and if I don't get in I can always get feedback on work on my app. Thank you for your input!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a PT Tech right now and I love what I do. I know that my job at this clinic is secure so if I did take the year off, I would be able to build my hours as you did. I guess I'm just nervous about the recommendation letters? If I took a year off from school, I feel like I'd lose the rec letter promised from my advisor. I am not close enough with any of my profs to ask for one. Also, I feel like maybe I should apply and if I don't get in I can always get feedback on work on my app. Thank you for your input!!

I was never close with any professor throughout school. It always came easy to me, so I never bothered going to office hours or anything like that. I was able to get a professor to write one no problem just reminding her which class/semester I had her for and telling her a little about my goals/providing my resume. I just picked a smaller class professor. I think PT recommendations count more (especially if you apply where they are alumni), unless you're going in with a lower gpa where they may want to hear more from a professor

I took a gap year between my undergrad and am now starting PT school in July. I graduated from college early, and I'm honestly glad I took the year off. It made applying a lot less stressful, I was able to work a lot and save money, and just relax. Now I'm excited and ready to go for the next 3 years.