Gap year with Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark3524

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an unplanned gap year and have the following stats below:

science GPA: 3.55
Overall GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 27M

EC: Volunteered in hospital 8 years, phlebotomist for 2 years in college (part time for 8 months then PRN the rest), patient care tech PRN at a hospital for 9 months concurrently with Phlebotomist, Pre-Medical Club President for 2 years, 2 years of psychiatry research at the Washington University School of Medicine

Trying to figure out the best plan for this gap year

I feel like I should be most concerned with MCAT at this point
(Already took Kaplan and am currently taking TPR but just not motivated to do anything with it because biggest problem is verbal reasoning currently and nothing is helping)

Current plans I am considering:

- taking a few gen chem, gen orgo, gen physics classes at the local community college to get better at the sciences while reading and studying verbal on my own

- moving to another location close to a different large medical school I have a better shot of getting into and doing research part time and studying full time for MCAT (may require 2 years off, I am completely ok with that!!)

- taking a medical trip abroad (possibly not doing because I feel EC's are good enough already)

- doing an SMP (kind of not wanting to do this since I am not all that concerned about GPA at this point, but definetly will do it if someone says this is a good idea)

- getting a masters degree, my dad has 3 and he has said they are much easier than college because the professors really want you to succeed, he said he got much better grades in all 3 masters programs he went to than he did in college

Key factos to consider here as well:

1. I am feeling a little burnt out unfortunately and I lived with my parents for all four years of undergrad. I am thinking maybe moving out will help with that burnt out feeling

2. I am really hurting for money, have zero and am 3 grand in debt. Also, will be graduating in May. Parents will pay for any type of education but apartment will have to be at least half paid for by me. So moving out means having a full or part time job. Current job: Wash U SOM research assitant at 10$ an hour

Thank you everyone and good luck on your own journey and applications!!
Mark3524

Members don't see this ad.

P.S.

I applied this year to 7 allopathic schools and recieved 3 interviews from:

-GW
-Mizzou (I am a Missouri Resident btw)
-UMKC M.D.-Only

Have been waitlisted at all 3 but...

Mizzou - I am in the bottom third of the waitlist of 104 people and they have never reached into the bottom third

UMKC M.D.-Only - Was Waitlisted on the list of about 20 people but never was accepted (they only accept about 10 students total each year in M.D.-Only program)

GW - Currently waitlisted but my contact person that I have known for 4 years and has been working there in the school of medicine for a year now met with admissions dean about 2 weeks ago for me. For some weird reason he told the dean he wanted to meet with him/her because he wanted to know what I could do to improve myself next year and what schools I should apply to also next year. Why he would do that when I am STILL on the waitlist I do not know but I have a feeling that conversation may have messed up that opportunity there. So a long story short still waitlisted here but no idea where at on the waitlist due to office of admissions not disclosing that info.

Again, thank you all!!!!!!!! and GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!,
Mark3524

Whatever you end up doing, you need to apply to way more than 7 schools. 3 out of 7 is good, but please apply more broadly next time. Add more MD schools and some DO schools. If I were you, I would do an SMP or a Masters that will show you can handle the basic sciences. You need to prove your abilities in that area if your goal is to get into an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you end up doing, you need to apply to way more than 7 schools. 3 out of 7 is good, but please apply more broadly next time. Add more MD schools and some DO schools. If I were you, I would do an SMP or a Masters that will show you can handle the basic sciences. You need to prove your abilities in that area if your goal is to get into an MD school.

I agree with the applying broadly next time around, but not so much about the SMP programs. Your GPA is fine. I would do some more research on them before making the plunge as it seems like SMPs are advised to those with low GPAs.

Do grad school because you want to do it, not because it's easier and you can get good grades.

Best of luck to you.

I orginally did apply to 64 schools in my primary application but shortly after getting the confirmation that it had been checked over and sent out to all of the schools (mid-July) my girlfriend of six and a half years dumped me.

I think I recieved about 48 secondaries so needless to say that was hard enough on its own but I was also trying to get my life back together. I know it sounds really stupid but I needed some time and counldn't focus on getting anything done.

So I only ended up completing 7 secondaries.

Thank you for both suggestions but what about raising my MCAT? I mean I know there is a whole forum on that but as far as my original choices that I have stated above or other choices not stated are any of those best suited for helping me?

I guess I ask because you said do the SMP to prove you can handle it but my MCAT then stays at a 27M. Do you think that's an ok score to apply with after hopefully doing really well in an SMP?

Thank you so much!! I am so sorry to keep bothering you all on here, I know you must be super busy!!! Enjoy St. Patrick's Day and your weekend!!!!!

Sincerely,
Mark3524