Gap year advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngsnug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just finished undergrad at a state university as biochem major. My GPA is 3.2 and my science gpa really sucks (~2.7) because I really messed around my first 2 years. However, the redeeming quality of my undergrad resume might be that I did well in higher level science classes my last 2 years after doing poorly in all my prereq ones. Im scheduled to take the MCAT in a week (7/28) but that might change depending on how I do on this AAMC FL test I take tomorrow.

So today I got an admission into a post bacc masters program at Campbell University (CUSOM MSBS). It is a 2 year program, however depending on your mcat score/gpa during your first year, they may allow you to matriculate after 1 year. I have to make a decision (and a $1500 non refundable deposit!) by July 24th

My question is whether a program like this is helpful? Especially after taking into consideration my low gpa. I mean, say I spend 2 years in the post bacc program and still dont get into DO school, Im pretty much burning 2 years of tuition down the drain. The one enticing benefit is that I might be in DO school in a year. So I need some insight into whether a program like this is worth it.

My other options are either taking classes at my university and hoping I do well in them or applying to more post bacc/masters programs in the future.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I just finished undergrad at a state university as biochem major. My GPA is 3.2 and my science gpa really sucks (~2.7) because I really messed around my first 2 years. However, the redeeming quality of my undergrad resume might be that I did well in higher level science classes my last 2 years after doing poorly in all my prereq ones. Im scheduled to take the MCAT in a week (7/28) but that might change depending on how I do on this AAMC FL test I take tomorrow.

So today I got an admission into a post bacc masters program at Campbell University (CUSOM MSBS). It is a 2 year program, however depending on your mcat score/gpa during your first year, they may allow you to matriculate after 1 year. I have to make a decision (and a $1500 non refundable deposit!) by July 24th

My question is whether a program like this is helpful? Especially after taking into consideration my low gpa. I mean, say I spend 2 years in the post bacc program and still dont get into DO school, Im pretty much burning 2 years of tuition down the drain. The one enticing benefit is that I might be in DO school in a year. So I need some insight into whether a program like this is worth it.

My other options are either taking classes at my university and hoping I do well in them or applying to more post bacc/masters programs in the future.

Hey man,

I was in a very similar position to yours. Graduated with a 3.5 and a 2.9 sGPA and had some pre read to finish.

I chose to do a DIY postbacc of 24 credits while working in a hospital. I've aced all but the course I'm currently in now and plan on getting an A in that too. Took the MCAT june 30 and am verified via aacomas.

I can personally vouch for this DIY approach. If you did something similar and aced it you could apply and be successful next cycle at either a DO program or a different SMP/post bacc. The only downside to this approach IMO is that there's really no room for error. That was stressful tbh, but being able to make some cash and learn a ton in a healthcare environment was awesome.

Idk, just seems to me like it may behoove you to work part time and take some classes. Apply next cycle and give yourself more options. That's what id do at least. Good luck with whatever you choose man.

Hi everyone!

Hello, What did you decide to do? I'm in somewhat a similar state as you are and I've been researching this program.

Hello, What did you decide to do? I'm in somewhat a similar state as you are and I've been researching this program.

Hi! I decided to go with the program so Ill just tell you a little about it.

Its a 2 year program, but if your GPA/MCAT is taken care of by January, you can be considered for admission after a year. Campbell is typically looking for atleast a 500 on the mcat and a gpa above a 3.0. If you are seriously considering the program, I would recommend giving the MCAT a shot before you start the program because trying to balance studying for the MCAT and all the classes is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Personally I got the MCAT out the way and I was still busy all the time studying for class. Some of my friends did both and I can tell you right now it is a struggle.

The program is EXTREMELY hard, but there's really no way to complain about it because it's a step down in difficulty from the medical school. A lot of the classes have very similar, if not the same content (some powerpoints are identical to the med students) to the medical school along with the same professors.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.