Game over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn!
Isn't CRNA gobbling up all anesthesiologist jobs? Why are the salaries still pretty good? I ruled out anesthesiology because of how CRNA can do my job (and that anesthesiology wasn't even on my radar when I started school).
Still plenty of jobs out there because no one wants to deal with the liability issues CRNA pose. Yeah, it's gotten tighter, but there's some things that CRNAs just aren't competent to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate all these incredibly Hot Takes on how much being a DO actually sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
Still plenty of jobs out there because no one wants to deal with the liability issues CRNA pose. Yeah, it's gotten tighter, but there's some things that CRNAs just aren't competent to do.

The biggest things anesthesiologists have told me is that the jobs are more work with less pay than they had been in the past. In the past starting with something like ~$250k out of residency would be a non-starter, and having to oversee an army of CRNAs was usually not part of your job description. You also had more access to partner tracks than you do today apparently. Still though, anesthesiologists easily make in the $300k-$350k+ range outside of major metros, just expect that you'll be overseeing CRNAs also. Objectively, they still do very well for themselves, just not AS well as they've done in the past (pretty much like every physician nowadays).

Why is it that a disproportionate number of threads on this forum of "holistic" DO students devolves into talking about compensation and which specialties make the most money??
Basically the two things talked about most here: (1) the ~dozen matches (out of 3000+ students) in neurosurgery/plastics/ophtho/etc each year and (2) how much money you can make.
You guys are SO into primary care, rural medicine, and serving patients!

Hahaha I swear every single one of your posts I read on SDN are either generally negative or bash DOs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Step 1: take a DEEP breath...
Step 2: enjoy your summer break...
Step 3: crush your STEP 1... even if you're in the 230s, there are decent ACGME programs that will accept you if you're not a goon.
Step 4: work hard to learn, impress your attendings on rotations(without being a cutthroat duche), and do relatively well on shelf exams 3rd year...
Step 5: crush STEP 2 and pass COMLEX PE the first time... as long as you're in the same range or better than STEP 1 you should be good.
Step 6: get an Honor for your Sub-I early on in 4th year, and get to know the program director well for a good LOR
Step 7: LORs, personal statement, ERAS application

Personal experience: DO student. I scored mid 240s for both STEPs, spent my first summer relaxing/recovering from elective labral repair(I work hard and play hard), usually around 85-88% on shelf exams, first and only research experience was an elective rotation during 3rd and 4th year that I presented a poster as first author at a national conference. I just matched IM at UCSF Fresno (#1 choice). I got interview invites from U of AZ Tucson, U of AZ Phoenix, UCLA harbor, UNLV, UNM, Mayo Clinic AZ, Loma Linda, and a few other community programs. Although not top tier, there's a few University programs there, and all in the west(notoriously less DO friendly). I never got asked once on the interview trail how I spent my summer between 1st and 2nd year. Neither did any of my colleagues who applied and matched in Gen Surg, EM, Anesthesia, Rads(seemingly less competitive these days), FM, Peds, Psych, IM. ALL ACGME RESIDENCIES!

Close friend: matched ACGME anesthesia in a great NY program with STEP 1 score around 215 and no research. Granted this wasn't ideal, and he had to make up for it in LORs/ECs.

Other friend: matched ACGME U of AZ Phoenix with average board scores and similar research as myself. Excellent clinical thinker. Worked hard to impress attendings.

Also I was originally set on gen surg, and research wasn't really a huge concern there unless you were looking into academics/big name programs, or subspecialty... they really seemed not to care either way in most cases. You could always check the Gen Surg forums if you're that set. Anesthesia, peds, FM, Psych, EM don't care too much about research either. IM depends on whether you want to specialize or go to a more well know university program. Whatever doom and gloom you may have heard, don't worry so much. Unless you're really set in UCSF, JH, Stanford, etc, or traditionally DO unfriendly University programs, take it easy. Spend that energy on studying and performing well on rotations, and you'll be fine.

If you feel you'd want the competitive edge, have the opportunity, and really want to do the research, then don't worry so much and just go for it. But don't accept the opportunity if you don't want it. Nobody likes to research with someone who's just there to check a box, and that attitude can hurt you if you're trying to get into an affiliated program.

Quick question for you:

When you say surgical subspecialties in this context (where I bolded in the quote), are you strictly talking things like ENT, Uro, NSG, etc., or are you including fellowships post-G.S. residency?

Quick question for you:

When you say surgical subspecialties in this context (where I bolded in the quote), are you strictly talking things like ENT, Uro, NSG, etc., or are you including fellowships post-G.S. residency?

I am referring mostly to ENT, Uro, NSG, CT Surg. I'm not very sure when it comes to doing fellowship post gen surg, but if I were to guess, I would err on the side of research vs not. Even after 5 years of gen surg, these are still competitive subspecialties, and research is likely encouraged if not required for some. If it's like IM fellowships(which may be a stretch), research during residency is pretty important, especially in the field you're looking to do a fellowship in. I can only speculate on this though, so I'd say check the Surg forums, and check out FREIDA, AMA, Doximity, program websites, etc.

As a general rule, anything beyond primary care, EM, Anesthesia, that requires a fellowship, is almost certain to expect research experience in your repertoire.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile