G.P.A question...asking for friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flowerguy

----
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my colleagues had been academically dismissed during her freshmen year of college due to a sickness. She's spent 5 years in college transferring between 3 schools all together. she's dead set on applying. I don't want to discourage her but I just need an honest opinion so i can break it to her..she went from a 1.8 gpa to 2.99 (AMCAS GPA CALCULATED). Her MCAT is 509 and has been doing research at the United States Dept of Agriculture and the National Institute of Health. She has some publications under her belt and has done 1000+ hours of community service throughout her undergrad. She's been working two jobs to pay for her tuition. I think she should do a postbacc, her GPA is too low for an SMP and a post bacc...Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

What's her sGPA? If below a 3.0 she definitely needs to take a year to get it above a 3.0. It seems like she has pretty good ECS, and maybe a compelling story. So, it is possible that she could get some love, but from what I seen of other people with below 3.0 gpa, it typically at best turns into a waitlist, and maybe an acceptance if your story and ecs are good enough.