Future switch to Med/Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nk1991

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am an international graduate who recently matched into a pediatrics program. While I am extremely glad and grateful to have matched into a fully University-based academic Pediatrics program, I have been interested in Med/Peds for a long time and have worked hard to try to get a match into the combined program. Unfortunately, being an IMG requiring a Visa had impeded the process of getting any Med/Peds interviews.

I understand that it is a competitive specialty to match into, especially for an IMG, so I would like to know if there is any chance at all to switch to Med/Peds in the future without having to go through 2 separate residencies (Med and Peds) of 3 years each (which in itself is a challenge since I know there is a cap to the number of years of residency one can do)? The program where I did match has an IM and Peds program but no combined program. Is there a chance that a combined program could be created?

I request any guidance for the same from anyone, especially from someone who is part of the NMPRA. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, but likely won't happen at your institution. Here's why:

As far as I know, it would be very difficult to create a combined program out of thin air. The accreditation process for med-peds is probably more quick than the process for the categorical programs because it piggy-backs off of them. That being said, it's still its own accreditation process and generally takes many years of careful planning and coordination between departments to create a program. Does that mean you couldn't do med-peds at your institution by striking up a deal with your program and having them seek accreditation for you? No. Talk to your program director. I bet the answer would be no, but it wouldn't hurt. It would also open the door if you wanted to transfer.

If you want to transfer into a med-peds program, you'll almost certainly end up extending your residency by at least six months assuming you complete a full year of your categorical program. There are programs that lose residents for whatever reason and need replacements, and you could potentially fill that role if a midyear position became available (and your department were willing to support you). Honestly, I'm not even sure where you would look for those programs and how that process would work as it's not one I've been through myself, but I think it's valuable to think about now so that if this is something you desire, your program director won't be blindsided, and you'll likely need a letter from him/her in any case to transfer.

It's possible, but likely won't happen at your institution. Here's why:

As far as I know, it would be very difficult to create a combined program out of thin air. The accreditation process for med-peds is probably more quick than the process for the categorical programs because it piggy-backs off of them. That being said, it's still its own accreditation process and generally takes many years of careful planning and coordination between departments to create a program. Does that mean you couldn't do med-peds at your institution by striking up a deal with your program and having them seek accreditation for you? No. Talk to your program director. I bet the answer would be no, but it wouldn't hurt. It would also open the door if you wanted to transfer.

If you want to transfer into a med-peds program, you'll almost certainly end up extending your residency by at least six months assuming you complete a full year of your categorical program. There are programs that lose residents for whatever reason and need replacements, and you could potentially fill that role if a midyear position became available (and your department were willing to support you). Honestly, I'm not even sure where you would look for those programs and how that process would work as it's not one I've been through myself, but I think it's valuable to think about now so that if this is something you desire, your program director won't be blindsided, and you'll likely need a letter from him/her in any case to transfer.

Thank you tantacles! The funny thing is, I do remember during my interview at the program, the director was interested in the kind of US rotations I did (2 of which were Med/Peds) and asked me to justify the same since I did not have pure Peds US rotations. I did mention I was interested in Med/Peds but since it is an extremely competitive specialty, I applied to Peds as well. And I still matched there. So maybe this could be a door? Also, when would be the best time to approach the director, before the program starts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you tantacles! The funny thing is, I do remember during my interview at the program, the director was interested in the kind of US rotations I did (2 of which were Med/Peds) and asked me to justify the same since I did not have pure Peds US rotations. I did mention I was interested in Med/Peds but since it is an extremely competitive specialty, I applied to Peds as well. And I still matched there. So maybe this could be a door? Also, when would be the best time to approach the director, before the program starts?

Give yourself a couple of months to do well in the program and then approach your PD.

Large dogs

Med-peds is the dumbest "specialty" idea ever. "Hey! Let's spend more years in training so we can do less than FM (no OB-gyn), and have to take TWO Board exams! Added bonus: NO EXTRA MONEY!" Brilliant!

We all know you were just too insecure to do FM. :love:

Med-peds is the dumbest "specialty" idea ever. "Hey! Let's spend more years in training so we can do less than FM (no OB-gyn), and have to take TWO Board exams! Added bonus: NO EXTRA MONEY!" Brilliant!

k

Reactions: 1 user

2 years of peds in med/peds vs. 3 months of peds in FM.....there's definitely a major difference between them

Reactions: 1 user