Future Optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

damusiel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a high school student. I am very interested in the health field and want to be a optometrist. What are the pros and cons and what is the job outlook? Is it hard to get into optometry schools and what should I do in high school to prepare myself?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently a high school student. I am very interested in the health field and want to be a optometrist. What are the pros and cons and what is the job outlook? Is it hard to get into optometry schools and what should I do in high school to prepare myself?

Thanks!!

Get through undergrad first.

Shadow and come back in 3 years.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello,

Thanks!!
^
Although I do agree that you need get through undergrad first. There are still some small things that you can do in High School.
I would try taking AP classes that will get you College credits that can satisfy OD school prerequisites. It'll save you the difficulty of having to take it in undergrad which is usually much more difficult. Some schools will accept AP credits, you just need to look into that. Also try finding an optometry practice that you can shadow just so you can an early taste of it so you know what to expect!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow ODs, talk to ODs, then shadow and talk to different ODs. Ask all of them the same questions and compare answers. Then ask yourself why some ODs feel differently about Optometry than others.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure to shadow ODs in ALL types of environments..mainly, private practice and corporate chains. Talk to ODs and recent grads. In addition, shadow other professionals as well such as dentists and pharmacists, MDs since you still have some time. you won't know you like a professioon, unless you shadow and see what they do on a day to day basics. Be members of your school's pre professional clubs and see what they have to offer...only after then decide what you want to do!

Hello,

Thanks!!
Make sure to shadow ODs in ALL types of environments..mainly, private practice and corporate chains. Talk to ODs and recent grads. In addition, shadow other professionals as well such as dentists and pharmacists, MDs since you still have some time. you won't know you like a professioon, unless you shadow and see what they do on a day to day basics. Be members of your school's pre professional clubs and see what they have to offer...only after then decide what you want to do!

Hello,

Thanks!!

I would also say to go into your college classes knowing that you're going to need to know the material again for the OAT (or MCAT or PCAT or whatever field you do decide to go into). So take time to actually learn the concepts and "why's" of the subject instead of just trying to memorize the material to pass the class. If you can review the material periodically and keep it fresh, it is a lot easier than trying to relearn everything when the admissions test comes around.

I also agree with everyone above, I don't think it is possible to do too much shadowing. Make sure to take detailed notes when doing your shadowing, it makes it easier when it comes around to filling out your application, and if you write down interesting things that you see, it gives you something to talk about when interviews come around (just don't write down/ talk about any names or personally identifiable information for confidentiality).