Funding during supervision - LPC or MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted861354

Hi everyone,

I've started doing my research about LPC and MSW programs. So far, I feel partial to LPC, but I am concerned about finding paid work during my 2000 postgraduate hours.

My fantasy is to acquire an LGPC license and try immediately go into private practice, with the idea that I will be attempting to acquire the network and reputation necessary to do so from the moment I step foot in the program. So, my first question is, is this even feasible? I have good business savvy, but this also means I know that sometimes what seems good in theory is not at all possible in practice.

So if the above does not work out, my next question is about how an LPC fairs vs. an MSW in terms of getting a decently paid internship, including one that will pay for supervision. Also, does it make any difference it's an LPC from a great institution vs. an MSW from an ok institution? A related question is that when I've heard that some institutions will "cover" supervision, I was unclear about whether this meant that I would find a supervisor at that institution and they wouldn't charge me for it, or if this meant that I would find a licensed supervisor elsewhere that they would pay for.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I've started doing my research about LPC and MSW programs. So far, I feel partial to LPC, but I am concerned about finding paid work during my 2000 postgraduate hours.

My fantasy is to acquire an LGPC license and try immediately go into private practice, with the idea that I will be attempting to acquire the network and reputation necessary to do so from the moment I step foot in the program. So, my first question is, is this even feasible? I have good business savvy, but this also means I know that sometimes what seems good in theory is not at all possible in practice.

So if the above does not work out, my next question is about how an LPC fairs vs. an MSW in terms of getting a decently paid internship, including one that will pay for supervision. Also, does it make any difference it's an LPC from a great institution vs. an MSW from an ok institution? A related question is that when I've heard that some institutions will "cover" supervision, I was unclear about whether this meant that I would find a supervisor at that institution and they wouldn't charge me for it, or if this meant that I would find a licensed supervisor elsewhere that they would pay for.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.
At the masters level it is pretty hard to find a paid internship, mostly due to billing reasons but it does happen, just hard to find. I imagine the supervision piece varies depending on your employer. Where I work we provide in house supervision at no cost but I am sure some places will pay for external supervision. When looking at counseling programs, make sure it is cacrep accredited.