Full time scribes! How much do you work in a week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I work 6-9 days in a row and I am simply exhausted, and I have only been working 4-5 months so far :\

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I work 6-9 days in a row and I am simply exhausted, and I have only been working 4-5 months so far :\

It's good to work full time for the first couple of months because you'll improve much faster. However, once you hit 6 months I'd drop to part time (16 hours a week) and pick up some other ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel your pain. My ED is short-staffed with scribes right now, so I'm scheduled for ~100 hours over the next 2 weeks +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
Been working as full time ENT scribe x 2 years now --> working ~5 days a week, 40-45 hours (also doing a PB)

Once you get the hang of "scribing" your job becomes a lot more interesting. During a pt visit, once I finish my note, I really try to "lock-in" to what the physician is doing. I try to pay attention to what they are asking and how they perform exams - I have learned so much.

I was working ~36 hours a week (4 9-hour shifts) when I was fulltime, and it was tough. I was working from 6 pm - 3 am, then studying until it was time to take my kids to school, then going to my own classes. I became an extremely talented cat-napper.

Variable at 42h to 35h but when I was in school, I did 21-35h. Avg 19-22 shifts a month. Our company's "week" starts and ends on a Wed to get around overtime though.

Variable at 42h to 35h but when I was in school, I did 21-35h. Avg 19-22 shifts a month. Our company's "week" starts and ends on a Wed to get around overtime though.

Thats awful! What the heck

I was working ~36 hours a week (4 9-hour shifts) when I was fulltime, and it was tough. I was working from 6 pm - 3 am, then studying until it was time to take my kids to school, then going to my own classes. I became an extremely talented cat-napper.
I am sorry! I think I can handle 36 but I am tired of freaking 50 hr work weeks

Thats awful! What the heck

It's what I prefer! We're able to request how much we wish to work a month and my team is good about making sure the schedule is a good fit. The "week" thing is silly though. I feel you on the load. My longest stretch was 12 in a row during the holidays and it felt like crap.

3-"12" hour shifts weekly in the ER. It's nice because I can schedule 3 12's in a row then have up to 6 days off before my next shift but.......

Right I totally get this, but the thing is I am not a resident yet :)
Sometimes I have to remind a particular provider that I work with of this fact lol. Being expected to pull 13-14 hour shifts before I'm even in medical school just tends to irritate me. Especially when they just came on shift 2 hours ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Right I totally get this, but the thing is I am not a resident yet :)

True. I used to freak out at the idea of an 80 hour work week. I haven't worked less than that since starting intern year and it hasn't been too bad. Tolerance and perspective both change over time.

Reactions: 2 users
When I worked as an ED scribe, I worked 35 hours on average with 8 hours shifts during my gap year.

For those who are scribing, mind sharing how you got the job? I'm trying to find a scribe position and I'd appreciate any advice!

For those who are scribing, mind sharing how you got the job? I'm trying to find a scribe position and I'd appreciate any advice!

Do you have any friends that are scribes? If you know someone have them forward your resume and put a good word in if they can comment on your work ethic.