Full time job and interview dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilfdinar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow reapp here. I was wondering what
Is the best way to schedule time off to go to interviews. I really would rather not tell them I am currently applying to medical school if possible. For those who managed to both responsibilities how did your employer feel about the missed days.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow reapp here. I was wondering what
Is the best way to schedule time off to go to interviews. I really would rather not tell them I am currently applying to medical school if possible. For those who managed to both responsibilities how did your employer feel about the missed days.

I work a job where I am able to switch shifts with other employees. Is that a possibility for you?

Well, I guess that could be tricky if you work Monday-Friday. I work 12 hour shifts twice-three times a week, so it's pretty easy to switch with other employees. If you are taking off of work, your employer is going to want a real reason or he/she may not let you take off for your interviews. Definitely a tough situation...especially if you don't feel your employer would be supportive of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will wing it. i was not expecting early interviews

My job allows me to simply say it is "personal leave" without further details. I feel like professionally, that should be enough for the average employer. You'll typically only need one day off.

I think if you say you need personal time off that should be sufficient. In my experience, a boss will not ask you about it unless you provide the details.

I have had 6 interviews so far and I work a 50-60 hour work week with my consulting firm. It is a burn out, to be honest. And like you, I didn't tell them I am interviewing for med school.

Ways to minimize personal time off:

- I try to take an afternoon interview if I can. That way I can take a red eye flight in and back out, missing only 1 day

- I try to pick up all and any remote work and I work on the airplane

- work extra hours on the week you must leave for an interview. I am typically working 15 hour days in order to take 2 days off to fly to an interview

I know you may not have the same kind of flexibility and autonomy. Nevertheless, I hope my experience can spark some sort of idea for you when it comes time :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile