Fulbright (or similar program) then MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaCobee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been considering taking a gap year and one of the ways I would love to take my gap year is through the Fulbright US Student grant. I'm interested in probably doing cell or cancer biology, immunology, or biochemistry research somewhere in the world. Since I've never traveled outside of the US, I'm not sure where I would want to apply. Suggestions for this field?

I am currently in contact with the Fulbright advisor of my University. Is it better to apply through my University than at-large?

Is there anyone who did this and how did you think the grant benefitted you at any point of your MD PHD? Is there anyone currently on a Fulbright grant (or similar program) and applied for MSTPs this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Going on my Fulbright this August and trying to subsequently apply to MD/PhD programs.

To answer your questions about Fulbright, if you want to apply for research GET STARTED EARLY!!! You are responsible for finding your own advisor, coming up with your own project proposal, and seeing it all through. It takes a lot of work and if you don't have pre-existing connections in another country finding an advisor can be difficult.

It's definitely better to apply through your University as they will provide you more support and guidance. Usually people who apply at large are a few years out of college or their college won't let them apply for whatever reasons.

I'm going through the program now, so I can't speak to how it has benefited me and my application quite yet. However, I have heard AMAZING things from Fulbright Alumni -- without a doubt the program will change your life.

I have seen several Fulbrights be selected successfully by MD/PhD programs in the past few years. The biggest challenge that you face is scheduling interviews while abroad. Often, you need to return to the US, and apply during a one-year post-bac at NIH or other top research institution. Then, you will have greater flexibility interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll pass your questions onto my classmate who's on a Fulbright for an MSc (at ^^ a top research institution). The UK is a good place to consider, btw.

Going on my Fulbright this August and trying to subsequently apply to MD/PhD programs.

To answer your questions about Fulbright, if you want to apply for research GET STARTED EARLY!!! You are responsible for finding your own advisor, coming up with your own project proposal, and seeing it all through. It takes a lot of work and if you don't have pre-existing connections in another country finding an advisor can be difficult.

It's definitely better to apply through your University as they will provide you more support and guidance. Usually people who apply at large are a few years out of college or their college won't let them apply for whatever reasons.

I'm going through the program now, so I can't speak to how it has benefited me and my application quite yet. However, I have heard AMAZING things from Fulbright Alumni -- without a doubt the program will change your life.

Congrats on the grant! I've been spending the past week looking at countries I may be interested in traveling to and see what Fulbright grants are offered there. Do you have any advice/tips on looking for an affiliate for the application once you've determined a country? Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you doing lab research? And if so, are you doing a completely independent project or is your independent project going to be part of an ongoing project?

I'll pass your questions onto my classmate who's on a Fulbright for an MSc (at ^^ a top research institution). The UK is a good place to consider, btw.

I'll look into the programs/grants in the UK. I've been seriously considering it although I heard that the UK is very competitive compared to other countries. Thank you for passing on my question to your classmate! I'm really interested in an open research grant but I would love to hear how completing a graduate degree overseas is.

Other than the UK, I've also been looking into France and some east Asia locations such as China, Hong Kong, and South Korea.

As you are selecting among potential destinations, keep in mind that it helps if you have fluency and/or a strong connection with the culture of your proposed country.

As you are selecting among potential destinations, keep in mind that it helps if you have fluency and/or a strong connection with the culture of your proposed country.

Although I'm not fluent, I have a good grip in conversational Korean, Japanese, and Mandarin due to being a Global ambassador for my university's international programs office. In fact, the reason why I have a strong interest in the east asian countries is because most of the international/exchange students I mentored were from one of those countries. I had an intermediate level of French but sadly I haven't been exposed to any French since I left high school (about 2 years). The countries I'm looking at are places I've always had interest in visiting and exploring. Although I'm still limited since I can only apply for a grant that either requires no proficiency or at least novice. I had already ruled out Japan since Fulbright requires at least 2 years of college-level instruction.

I'm sure I'll have the time and resources to learn the basics of the language I need to know in the event that I get a grant the summer/semester before.

My advice is, like Fencer said, do 2 gap years if you're going to do a Fulbright. I'm currently wrapping up my Fulbright year in Poland and did cancer biology research. It would have seriously hindered me to have to travel to the States for interviews if I had applied last cycle. I sent in my apps for this cycle and have a one-year NIH Postbac set up for the second gap year while I apply/interview.

As for the actual Fulbright, I agree with others that you should have a personal connection to the country in terms of culture/heritage, language, etc. or something like that. It helps the essays write themselves. It was helpful knowing the language for me because my lab's day-to-day functioning relied on my Polish a lot. I learned a lot of science terms I had never known before too, which was cool! And also agree that the Fulbright is life-changing :)