FSU vs USF for a transfer student... (undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petals10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads on FSU vs. USF however, I think my situation is kind of different than most. I just recently finished my first year at USF and I got a 4.0 (bio med). However, I really didn't enjoy my experience at all (socially. academically, USF was great.). USF is too close to my house (about 45 min) and I didn't get the social experience I wanted. It felt like I was still in high school. I got pretty involved through extra curricula's (tons of volunteering, honor societies, founding a club, etc), but it still hasn't felt right. I've questioned if I even want to go into medicine. Now, I'm technically supposed to be transferring to florida state next semester, but I have doubts. I know sophomore year because of orgo is the weed out year and I don't know if it would be wiser to try and stick it out for one more year at USF and then if I still want to transfer go to FSU. Both of my parents are doctors and my brother is in med school (mom and brother are USF undergrad alum) so there has been a bit of a push for me to go. I do enjoy medicine and I know I would be happy being a doctor, I'm just not completely sure if it's the path I want to take. So I guess my question is... would it be completely insane of me to transfer to FSU from USF given the success I've had? How are the classes at FSU? I don't want to ruin my future, but at the same time I want to have a good college experience. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there! I completely understand your situation. My advice for you is to explore some other classes and engage in things that you know you enjoy, like exercise, music, etc. I grew up in a family of engineers, with parents who enrolled me early in physics and math classes in middle and high school expecting me to be just like them. Well, it's okay to be different. I enjoyed physics and math but found out I liked the biological sciences more, and now I'm going to start medical school. At the end of the day, the most important thing is for you to enjoy what you are doing, because if you don't, life will become miserable. Transferring to a new school and continuing with the pre-med gauntlet probably won't help you love the path. We know the path isn't easy. Surround yourself with those who can support you. And enjoy college! You're early in your college career. It's completely okay to take interesting and random classes. Who knows? You just might find something else to love--or you might pursue medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello there! I completely understand your situation. My advice for you is to explore some other classes and engage in things that you know you enjoy, like exercise, music, etc. I grew up in a family of engineers, with parents who enrolled me early in physics and math classes in middle and high school expecting me to be just like them. Well, it's okay to be different. I enjoyed physics and math but found out I liked the biological sciences more, and now I'm going to start medical school. At the end of the day, the most important thing is for you to enjoy what you are doing, because if you don't, life will become miserable. Transferring to a new school and continuing with the pre-med gauntlet probably won't help you love the path. We know the path isn't easy. Surround yourself with those who can support you. And enjoy college! You're early in your college career. It's completely okay to take interesting and random classes. Who knows? You just might find something else to love--or you might pursue medicine.

Thank you for your advice, I guess I should've added that as a school I have really loved FSU much more than USF and could see myself being very happy there. I went to USF mostly because I was pushed by my mother and wasn't able to look at other schools. I'm not sure that if I went to FSU if I would continue premed... I think I would try an exploratory major of some sort and then if I still felt medicine was my path go towards it. I'm just scared of completely ruining my chances of being a doctor if I make this move...

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both great institutions, but as an FSU alumnus, I will certainly recommend you go there. Tallahassee is an amazing college town that isn't just a college town, it's emerging as a great cultural center in the panhandle, and you can't beat Saturdays in the fall.

From an educational perspective there is a lot of opportunity to to diversify your experience. Research opting into the honors program since you have a 4.0 so far. The program encourages you to step outside of your boundaries and take classes in disciplines unlike your own.

Admission to the FSU Honors Program | Honors Program

Take everything with a grain of salt on the webz, even my advice - but make decisions with only your happiness in mind, not your family's. Sounds like you'd enjoy having some independence by living away from home.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm a current FSU undergrad who's a premed biochem major. I hope I'm not commenting too late! I love FSU, and honestly so does everyone else who attends it here. I honestly don't know too much about course differences between USF and FSU but I do know that our general chem labs are (unnecessarily) tedious and difficult. To me, it seemed as if gen chem classes were more of a weed out than the orgo classes. Obviously, your professor choice will definitely help the difference whether or not you do well in orgo, but I think that it's definitely possible. I'm obviously a biochem major which means I'm pretty decent at chem, but I have friends who are biology majors and have gotten As with multiple different teachers. I think the classes at FSU are just about the difficulty you should expect them to be. If you have anymore specific questions feel free to message me.