Friend's Residency Program Backed Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my friend's residency program just told her that they didn't want her as a resident AFTER she signed the contract. Is there anything she can do? I feel like it is such bull to do this to someone, especially after they ranked her.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So my friend's residency program just told her that they didn't want her as a resident AFTER she signed the contract. Is there anything she can do? I feel like it is such bull to do this to someone, especially after they ranked her.

Thanks!

From the NatMatch website:

ASHP said:
5. Results of the RMP constitute binding agreements between applicants and residency programs that may not be reversed unilaterally by either party.
11. If a formal complaint regarding an alleged violation of these rules is filed with the ASHP Commission on Credentialing, the Commission will evaluate the allegations and recommend an appropriate course of action to the ASHP Board of Directors. The ASHP Board of Directors is the body that ultimately determines the course of action. Violations of the RMP rules should be reported to:

Secretary, ASHP Commission on Credentialing
Accreditation Services Division
American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists
7272 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 664-8656

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Were they trying to back out, or are they just extremely rude.

Even if they weren't trying to back out of the contract, they are still violating ASHP rules by telling her that she was not preferred. ASHP states that programs are not allowed to indicate where they ranked candidates even after match results are confirmed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would need to know some more info, is this a preference thing? Was there some sort of code of conduct violations or other issues at play? What kind of communication occurred between resident and job site?

Match results are binding, but is contingent upon requirements being met. Were there requirements not met? These requirements should have been communicated ahead of time (background check, drug testing, etc...)

Too many questions here. I have my doubts that a program would risk possible civil litigation and sanction by ASHP by being so haphazard.

Never heard of this before but I am super interested in the details. Certainly messed up on the program's end if there was absolutely no reason other than 'preference'

It happens. There's an exception clause for dire financial circumstances on the institution's part (but I don't think so if the contract was already signed), but it blacklists every single preceptor and the residency director more or less for five years (and sometimes longer). That friend of yours needs to immediately contact ASHP if this was done through the match.

There's also a specific obligation of the site to place your friend at their expense elsewhere if after the contract. VA's been cited for that in the past, so I am aware of some of the paperwork.

Reactions: 1 user