Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Pity party ahead +pity+

Had a momentary personal crisis today wondering why I didn't just go through with med school (my original plan before realizing my personality didn't fit with the cutthroat environment) or do a MD/PhD program. I love the program I'll be starting in the fall but I'm feeling a mounting sense or regret/anxiety with the ever worsening rat race that is psychology (PP and academia) :arghh: <- legit though why isn't the 'argh' emoji Charlie brown? It would be so appropriate!

Reactions: 1 users
Yard work, while sipping a local saison and pilsner. So looking forward to it (for real).
There is little I enjoy more than a day outside doing yardwork on a hot day with a cool drink. Add in some good folk music and life is superb.

I'm househunting for something to rent on my upcoming move over this coming weekend, so hopefully I'll find something where that can fit together nicely.

Reactions: 1 user
Pity party ahead +pity+

Had a momentary personal crisis today wondering why I didn't just go through with med school (my original plan before realizing my personality didn't fit with the cutthroat environment) or do a MD/PhD program. I love the program I'll be starting in the fall but I'm feeling a mounting sense or regret/anxiety with the ever worsening rat race that is psychology (PP and academia) :arghh: <- legit though why isn't the 'argh' emoji Charlie brown? It would be so appropriate!
I had moments of feeling the same; I'm someone who hates making choices that I know will likely close other options down the road- though those moments are now well in the past as some of my best friends from college progressed through med school as I was going through psych PhD program and I realized even more how not-suited for that type of environment I am (especially the god-awful working hours of med students) and how much I really dig the options that are now before me with PhD. Maybe academia, maybe not, I dunno, but I feel confident I'll find something interesting to do after my postdoc (which I love and feel like I could probably do forever, although I'm sure my other half would not approve of post-doc ad infinitum!) Can't do everything in life, after all! --totally agree about the charlie brown emoji, lol!

I'm planning to start painting the inside of my house this weekend. Kinda looking forward to it, kinda dreading it. Plan to paint the entire inside of the house over several weekends and I feel there is a zero percent chance of us not getting paint all over the carpet, a cat or three, or all of those things, what with my clumsiness and my partner's tendency to under-estimate the need for precautionary measures. It'll be interesting, no doubt. Open to tips for those of you who have done this before.

Here this confused me and made me think it was Friday. What's wrong with people?!
The joker in my brain told me to #anarchy#whysoserious
I had moments of feeling the same; I'm someone who hates making choices that I know will likely close other options down the road- though those moments are now well in the past as some of my best friends from college progressed through med school as I was going through psych PhD program and I realized even more how not-suited for that type of environment I am (especially the god-awful working hours of med students) and how much I really dig the options that are now before me with PhD. Maybe academia, maybe not, I dunno, but I feel confident I'll find something interesting to do after my postdoc (which I love and feel like I could probably do forever, although I'm sure my other half would not approve of post-doc ad infinitum!) Can't do everything in life, after all! --totally agree about the charlie brown emoji, lol!

Thanks! A lot of the MD/PhD programs I looked into weren't doing research I was interested in so I know I wouldn't have been happy. But in the future I think i'll look into bridge md-to-phd programs so I can look into physical health disparities cause by trauma and ACEs

Angel investor dinner tonight. Not wowed by their idea or work ethic. Hopefully I'm wrong. Then drinks with a friend. Saturday is my long run.

Sunday I have to pack up for two weeks of business trips off and on. Then two weeks of vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Could serve as the theme song for someone's drunk Friday night

Angel investor dinner tonight. Not wowed by their idea or work ethic. Hopefully I'm wrong. Then drinks with a friend. Saturday is my long run.

Sunday I have to pack up for two weeks of business trips off and on. Then two weeks of vacation.
Liked conditional on location of vacation.

Hope it's been a good one for all. Arise, chickens.

Does anyone regularly click around The Chronicle of Higher Education? Or are their articles mostly of use for the humanities-types?

Does anyone regularly click around The Chronicle of Higher Education? Or are their articles mostly of use for the humanities-types?

I used to subscribe to it when I was on the job market. I still read the occasional article, usually linked to by friends who are uni faculty. It's not just for humanities folks, though it is almost exclusively useful to people in traditional college/uni settings (or those who aspire to be).

I have learned about Jonny Kim, MD.

Oh, you're a navy seal. That's cool. But you quit that to get a degree in math from an ivy, then an md from Harvard and a residency at mass general. Awesome. But then this jerk face had to go and get selected to become an astronaut. Because navy seal Doctor just isn't enough. Navy seal doctor astronaut. Way to blow the curve for us normal human beings. I better get a cure for cancer outta this guy.

Astronaut Candidate Jonny Kim

Also, I'm going through all of test materials and forms from the last npsych who was here, to see what I need to order, and I have no less than about 500 forms of the TFLS. It's like a Pearson Rep convinced someone here that they really needed several cases of this thing. I rarely use it, meaning that this **** will be here til I leave or retire.

You should see my testing closet. Because I do forensics, I have to own any test I have to review. You'd think I'm just need the manual, but no.....

and I like the TFLS. Easy to explain to families.

Have my first violin recital coming up soon. It feels so weird doing this as an adult but I'm glad its a non-psych related thing I can do in grad school. Weird thing is no matter how bad I sound my cats love it when I play XD.

My mentor also keeps calling me 'future-doctor' or 'doctor-in-training'. I think its a kind gesture to get me out of my student mentality but also makes me feel a little weird.

Going to MassMOCA (museum of contemporary art) tomorrow. For those who don't know- most public libraries have museum passes you can check out for a few days. I got a pass for 2 adults and two kids up to 16, which will save us 50-60 bucks. It's a great thing for poor grad students looking to do something cheap for an afternoon. It's typically free to join the public library, and you can also check out movies and video games.

Reactions: 4 users
Have my first violin recital coming up soon.

Break a bow string! Love this.

I used to play the violin as a young Cheetahgirl, and love classical music. If I knew you, and was in the audience, I'd have tears in my eyes...the music moves me so. Best of luck, "future-doctor." :luck:

This weekend, I'm spending time with the family and then dancing away my political blues. #RESIST

Last edited:
@ClinicalABA thx for the tip about museum passes-- i had no idea!
It really is a nice service- museum, aquariums, etc. I had never been to MassMOCA, and was pretty skeptical about "contemporary art." Have to say, it was a pretty cool place. The art was (mostly) impressive/interesting, but the building- a repurposed electrics factory- was amazing.

It really is a nice service- museum, aquariums, etc. I had never been to MassMOCA, and was pretty skeptical about "contemporary art." Have to say, it was a pretty cool place. The art was (mostly) impressive/interesting, but the building- a repurposed electrics factory- was amazing.
Massachusetts also has Free Fun Friday's Free Fun Fridays | Highland Street Foundation

Free admission to different museums or attractions every Friday throughout the state.

Break a bow string! Love this.

I used to play the violin as a young Cheetahgirl, and love classical music. If I knew you, and was in the audience, I'd have tears in my eyes...the music moves me so. Best of luck, "future-doctor." :luck:

This weekend, I'm spending time with the family and then dancing away my political blues. #RESIST

Definitely enjoy your family time!

Aww thank you :X3: I'm halfway through Suzuki Book 1 (allegretto) and its such a re-centering activity! Though my clumsy fingers keep tripping on faster pieces but I know I'll get there. Personally, I like the string school If you ever think about re-starting, not too intimidating and cost-effective compared to other nyc places.

So today is practice, practice, practice while I slow cook some bbq ribs Caribbean style.

I am writing the grant that is due at the same time as the baby.
Husband is clearing out the room that will eventually be the nursery.

I wish we could trade.

Saturday: Got a test for a recreational certification on Saturday, probably hit up the city club for dinner, looking at a new property, got a new line of things to read.

Sunday: neighbor wants to get me to switch from running to biking so we can do it together. Might save my knee.

Saturday: Got a test for a recreational certification on Saturday, probably hit up the city club for dinner, looking at a new property, got a new line of things to read.

Sunday: neighbor wants to get me to switch from running to biking so we can do it together. Might save my knee.

My wife wants me to get into cycling with her. Just never been a fan, I'll stick to running and other stuff.

Vball games this evening, need to go get some rock climbing in this weekend. Probably also hit up a brewery at some point. What's on the list of things to read?

weekend number 4 of repainting the inside of our house. I'm so over it already, and all caught up on my podcasts thanks to the previous 3 weekends (most recently been into story-telling ones, like Tanis, Rabbits, The Bright Sessions, The Black Tapes, and Alice isn't Dead in addition to my usual science/NPR related ones, if anyone's got any similar suggestions). I now understand why it is so pricey to hire people to do this job. Other ideas for making it less boring?

My wife wants me to get into cycling with her. Just never been a fan, I'll stick to running and other stuff.

Vball games this evening, need to go get some rock climbing in this weekend. Probably also hit up a brewery at some point. What's on the list of things to read?

A marketing book, a screen writing book, and an occupational medicine book. I'm thinking about reinforcement schedules effects on people and society. People go to work, and there's a reinforcement schedule there. They go home and watch media which uses a story structure that follows reinforcement schedules.

The stories we are told, how we are told them, how we internalize the structure of stories, why we buy things, how we're sold them, etc.

@rerope, good luck with the recital! I've dabbled w the violin and after some initial "what am I doing?!"...I relaxed and had fun.

@ClinicalABA, very cool about the public library and museum pssses...never knew that!

I'm taking a quick trip to Vegas to enjoy some good food, catch a show, etc. I usually go in the Fall (annual friend getaway) and then for March Madness, but missed both this past year.

Last edited:
I've never been so intimidated by a funding application as I have been by the NRSA. I can't play my doubts away (damn you Adantino!) and I don't feel like coding so guess its Mariokart till I can find my big girl pants and get started.

Oh yeah and some stuff about being happy its Friday and yada yada :p

Doing the stuff associated with coming back from a work trip, preparing for two more. Appeasing psygf with fancy dinner.

So of course a fight breaks out in the train car that I'm in (why is it always the number trains?). One guy was man-spreading and the gentleman next to him confronted him about it which quickly escalated and ended up in the gentleman getting punched.

Aside from feeling bad for the gentleman my other thought was 'why does (man-spreader) have to be a black guy? I mean you're making the rest of us look bad!' Not a rational thought in any way but a young woman across from me (also black) expressed the same sentiment. Is this a minority thing? The only other friend I've had express a similar sentiment was Bangladeshi....

Spending the entire weekend being SO EXCITED about the eclipse on Monday. Probably obnoxiously excited; lucky my partner is tolerant of my excitement even if he doesn't entirely share it. But seriously, I can't wait. Really hoping for clear skies on the east coast. Contradancing tonight which will be a good distraction.

@rerope I had the same thought when I saw a fight break out at a gas station when visiting my folks in the very small town south and I'm not a minority.- I remember thinking "just don't let this end up on TV because you know that camera recorded how this went down." Fortunately it didn't. Hope the rest of your train rides are less eventful this weekend!.

I stayed a bit late to finish up, but I'll be ready for Monday. As a reward I think I'm going to attend a sportsball game this afternoon. I love catching a game, getting some sun, and walking around the city.