Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Porterhouse-Steak-Medium-Rare.jpeg

Not my steak, but I approve.

Sounds like you have a potential t-shirt or meme. Not my president; not my steak!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've just realised that now I'm officially enrolled in University I have access to Psychology Journals from the APA through the Uni's library system. I am beyond stoked, all those wonderful articles I can now read without having to pay subscription fees. :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
It's not Friday today...but this past Friday night, I was making my sign for the Women's March in NYC, which I peacefully joined with ~400,000 (last read estimates).

What an amazing experience, and I'm proud to be part of unprecedented U.S. history. I could now be called "Cheetah Girl, the political activist." :cat:

This Friday and Saturday will be much more subdued.

Reactions: 4 users
My wisdom teeth are still growing in (I'm 25 O.0) and woke me up so I guess I'm just gonna stay up and watch JonTron/Dorkly videos.

Seriously though wth? And worse yet I think its an extra tooth. Hopefully it doesn't need to be removed. Can't afford to go to interviews looking like a bee stung chipmunk.

My wisdom teeth are still growing in (I'm 25 O.0) and woke me up so I guess I'm just gonna stay up and watch JonTron/Dorkly videos.

Seriously though wth? And worse yet I think its an extra tooth. Hopefully it doesn't need to be removed. Can't afford to go to interviews looking like a bee stung chipmunk.

Pro tip: the ice packs they give you with wisdom teeth surgery stretch out quickly. Bras hold the ice packs better...Size dependent

Pro tip: the ice packs they give you with wisdom teeth surgery stretch out quickly. Bras hold the ice packs better...Size dependent

XD Thanks that gave me a needed laugh but I'll keep that in mind. I really hope I don't need surgery at all. I've never had any teeth issues (not even cavities) so to go from occasional cleaning to getting a tooth pulled would be awful

My wisdom teeth gave me sore gums in my early 20s but things settled down over time, and I still have them all. But if you think you might have a gum infection, get that looked at ASAP because that would be a lot more miserable than a swollen face on interviews.

Meh, sore teeth is nothing on internship interviews. I did all of mine with a ruptured disc. :)

Hey lets not start a measuring contest! But good lord I'm sure the sites would've given you some leeway with a ruptured disk.

My wisdom teeth gave me sore gums in my early 20s but things settled down over time, and I still have them all. But if you think you might have a gum infection, get that looked at ASAP because that would be a lot more miserable than a swollen face on interviews.

I don't think its an infection, just aching that subsides when I chew something (god teething at this age is so undignified but it gave my boss a laugh at least). I'll check in with a dentist friend as soon as interviews are done but I really just think its because the gum is pulling away from the tooth, the other 4 felt similar and then calmed down. As long as it doesn't start cutting a rug and come in sideways or something I want to keep it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey lets not start a measuring contest! But good lord I'm sure the sites would've given you some leeway with a ruptured disk.

I had already made all of the travel arrangements and the schedule was pretty tight. Just had to balance the hydrocodone on non-interview days, and high dose ibuprofen on interview days.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at 19yo. I remember I fell in love with my dentist under those meds ~ his eyes were so dreamy. Good luck, @rerope .

I thought I was going to chill this weekend, but I am going to parties and dancing both Friday and Saturday nights...for my mental health and wellness.

And I plan to build a Lego city during the day with my kids (in addition to their basketball games), and will continue a literature review to prepare for a solid day of research on Monday.
Yippee! Have a great weekend everyone! :biglove:

I had my wisdom teeth removed at 19yo. I remember I fell in love with my dentist under those meds ~ his eyes were so dreamy. Good luck, @rerope .

I thought I was going to chill this weekend, but I am going to parties and dancing both Friday and Saturday nights...for my mental health and wellness.

And I plan to build a Lego city during the day with my kids (in addition to their basketball games), and will continue a literature review to prepare for a solid day of research on Monday.
Yippee! Have a great weekend everyone! :biglove:

Haha thanks and I hope I don't fall in love with my dentist if I go under. He's married to my bestfriend!

Oh I love legos! Just visiting the brick and mortar stores make me giddy. Though I'm afraid to bring them in the house because our cats will runoff with and/or eat them (mischievous little beasties!)

Making homemade philly cheesesteaks and chocolate chunk chip cookies for the SO. Seriously, what is he going to do when I leave for grad school!? That fast food bachelors diet won't do his waistline any favours now that he's pushing his 30's XD Then again neither are my cookies... >.>

Wish I could make it to mid-year INS at some point. Don't anticipate it happening anytime soon, though, sadly. Wasn't it in Buenos Aires a few years back...?

RE: wisdom teeth, mine are all partially or entirely impacted, but haven't given me much trouble. Until they do, I'll probably opt to keep them in.

I start studies in 10 days time, they've only just told us what text book and software package we need for the course, and both items are out of stock in the uni book store. Yeah good onya. :rolleyes:
(Thankfully I've tracked down an alternative source of purchase).

Done with taxes, just need to do a quick review and hit "send." Finalizing slides for a presentation I'm giving in early March. Yard work. Reviewing a pile of manuscripts.

Well. This is starting to sound not very fun.

Organized EPPP study materials, ordered some office supplies to make studying for bearable, and it's almost time for a movie.

I just read an article on the reliability of washing machines. Anyone else feeling both old and bored today?

I hear ya. Yesterday I was looking at articles on their test-retest reliability. Turns out very little work has been done to establish the psychometric properties of washing machines, which is frankly quite worrying.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear ya. Yesterday I was looking at articles on their test-retest reliability. Turns out very little work has been done to establish the psychometric properties of washing machines, which is frankly quite worrying.
Does anybody have access to the population norms for washiing machines? I'm not sure how to interpret my results.

Does anybody have access to the population norms for washing machines? I'm not sure how to interpret my results.
I currently have a LARGE sample size, so we could definitely run a power analysis through the spin cycle to determine effect size, accuracy of results, and generalizability. Let me know if anyone would like to come over and help. Looking for assistants.

Reactions: 2 users
I currently have a LARGE sample size, so we could definitely run a power analysis through the spin cycle to determine effect size, accuracy of results, and generalizability. Let me know if anyone would like to come over and help. Looking for assistants.

Paid or volunteer? ^-^

On an unrelated note, had a girls night/sleepover with my besties from college. Cooked, did nails and face masks while Hot Fuzz :laugh: played in the background. Only thing missing was wine but definitely a well needed self-care session after grad school interviews.

Paid or volunteer? ^-^
Volunteer...no funding secured yet for this laundry protocol; it is only a pilot study at my house. Still trying to figure it all out. (And my co-investigators, i.e., the kids, try something clean on...while not even wearing it, and then throw that item directly in the hamper!) Adherence is not up to par, yet; but, so glad I did that random check.

Trying not to vomit. All of the naps. Oh my god two days of glorious naps.

Going to Trainspotting 2 tonight in Times Square with the Spouse, and our favorite restaurant in Hell's Kitchen (Midtown Manhattan) for date night.

It's been a tough 'clinical-researchy' week for me...one of those off-weeks that lead to something greater in future weeks. (sigh.)

I love date night.

Going to Trainspotting 2 tonight in Times Square with the Spouse, and our favorite restaurant in Hell's Kitchen (Midtown Manhattan) for date night.

It's been a tough 'clinical-researchy' week for me...one of those off-weeks that lead to something greater in future weeks. (sigh.)

I love date night.
always looking for a manhattan restaurant recommendation...

Coming to the close of my masters program (e.g., comps, papers, finals) and prepping for internship over the summer. My wife and I are expecting our first child a week before finals on May 5th (yay!!! and what?!?!). And looking for a place to live for the PhD program I start in the fall. This weekend may be the last chance I have to get any relaxation at all. I think I may imbibe some adult beverages.

always looking for a manhattan restaurant recommendation...
Afghan Kebob House on 9th Ave (btwn W 51st and 52nd)...like no other kebob house. The owner is lovely. There are also like 3 Yum Yum Bangkoks further down (about 44th) that are so good (all owned by same people). Go to Yum Yum for early bird/theatre special (<$). Gosh, and there's Uncle Nick's (Greek Taverna) across the street from Afghan Kebob - we always get the Saganaki - flaming cheese. So good!

Lived in that neighborhood for 5-years, and these spots are now comfort food. :)

Last edited:
On call for Psych ED (voluntary) for some extra dough for the Disney Cruise in June! Off to the Masters Tournament mid-week. Life is grand...if everyone just stays home and stays sane tonight.

Afghan Kebob House on 9th Ave (btwn W 51st and 52nd)...like no other kebob house. The owner is lovely. There are also like 3 Yum Yum Bangkoks further down (about 44th) that are so good (all owned by same people). Go to Yum Yum for early bird/theatre special (<$). Gosh, and there's Uncle Nick's (Greek Taverna) across the street from Afghan Kebob - we always get the Saganaki - flaming cheese. So good!

Lived in that neighborhood for 5-years, and these spots are now comfort food. :)

Yuca Bar in the east village is also really really good (particularly the yucca burger, yucca fries, and salmon areppas!)

Also jfc, had to choose between two great programs (one clinical and the other counseling; both great fits, fully funded with stipend in big cities) and it was the hardest thing ever. Either choice I went with I'd still wonder in some small place at back of my mind 'what would it be like to attend the other?'.

Coming to the close of my masters program (e.g., comps, papers, finals) and prepping for internship over the summer. My wife and I are expecting our first child a week before finals on May 5th (yay!!! and what?!?!). And looking for a place to live for the PhD program I start in the fall. This weekend may be the last chance I have to get any relaxation at all. I think I may imbibe some adult beverages.

Partake and party. And then sleep and binge watch Netflix in late April...

That sounds like my personal hell

This could potentially be better, or potentially alot more ****ed up than a typical VAMC ER. You chose.