Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll have to send a video of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam throwing me the mic at MSG this last year. I got to sing part of Even Flow with a guy from Brazil. Won the tickets thorough the PJ club lottery, and had to wait outside the venue to get 2nd from the rail since 10:00am. Fortunately, I was also on the floor the night before, and waited a similar amount of time, so I knew the Eddie zone where he was throwing out the mic.

Perry Farrell dumped wine on me, which mixed with the sweat that Henry Rollins dripped on those of us crammed up against the stage. Great show- Jane's addiction was at their prime, but Rollins Band was even better in their "opening act" role. Dinosaur Jr. was pretty awesome last weekend. It's nice to go to show and not feel like you're the only one there who didn't have to save their allowance to but the tickets.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Perry Farrell dumped wine on me, which mixed with the sweat that Henry Rollins dripped on those of us crammed up against the stage. Great show- Jane's addiction was at their prime, but Rollins Band was even better in their "opening act" role. Dinosaur Jr. was pretty awesome last weekend. It's nice to go to show and not feel like you're the only one there who didn't have to save their allowance to but the tickets.

I thought Henry was to busy being a "spoken word artist" these days. :barf:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking about the Friday thread...and look, here you all are!

I want to party tonight like it's a Friday in 1999 (!) but won't...still have 1-day to go.

I have no more Rockstar stories, except I hung out with Moby at an ASPCA benefit in NY (he asked all about my dog's personality...it was really cute). And Fred Schneider from the B-52s was there...but the real attraction was Matt Dillon. I was able to successfully appear as a groupie when I told him that I loved him in all his movies...but could only remember "Singles." Ha. (I am so dating myself with all those figures from the '90s.)

Oh, speaking of groupies, I also ran into Dave Gahan (one of my first loves from Depeche Mode...oh, his voice) 8-blocks from my house in Midtown Manhattan. He was with his son and some rocker woman, and I was with my husband & the same popular Rockstar dog. My husband very calmly asked him if he was in a band. And he said "Yeah"...in his deep, low, British accent. And I went around the corner and screamed like a teenager at a One Direction concert (not that I listen to One Direction or any boy bands...Tool, NIN, and The Rollins band are more my genre, but you get my picture).

Not that any of you have asked...but thanks for letting me share. :whoa:

Last edited:
And I went around the corner and screamed like a teenager at a One Direction concert (not that I listen to One Direction or any boy bands...Tool, NIN, and The Rollins band are more my genre, but you get my picture).

Not that any of you have asked...but thanks for letting me share. :whoa:
I listen to a lot more One Direction these days than NIN or Rollins- daughter controls the car radio most of the time. Either way, not sure I'd enjoy Rollin's music at this point in my life- just not where I'm at. Now, I'm not saying I enjoy One Direction, either...

Alas, no grunge/punk antics in the cards this Friday. For some unknown reason, I scheduled a home based consult from 4:30-6:30 tonight. The days of getting home at 7pm and then going back out are long gone! I've been putting of watching Elf with the family, but I think that's what's in the cards tonight (or at least watching the first 30 minutes and then falling asleep in the chair). Plus, it's freakin cold out!

Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?

I'm going to try to whip up some holiday cheer tonight with the little one while the older kid and husband go off to see Rogue One.

So far all I've got is making Christmas cookies and drinking grape juice (from concentrate for the kid, fermented for mama).

I love the 90s concert stories!

One of the best things about growing up in the tri-state area was access to so many great venues. Taking countless trips to the Stone Pony, Wetlands, Electric Factory, road trips to Boston and DC…it really shaped my teenage years. I wish I could have seen Bruce play tSP, but I was about 20yr too late. :laugh: The Wetlands was probably my fav. venue, not because of the sound or anything, but the vibe would always be awesome. Jam bands, ska, punk, and drum circles, spoken word…it really was a melting pot of music. I'm not sure it could happen as organically now, as everything seems so forced.

Great memories and a few laments..thanks for indulging me on my walk down memory lane.

Now I'm going to look up old concerts on YouTube.

Currently I'm listening to Jason Mraz doing a backyard concert from 2007. He absolutely crushed it for two and a half hours. It's mostly very chill stuff, but the sound is very good for the backyard setting.

Now I'm going to look up old concerts on YouTube.

Currently I'm listening to Jason Mraz doing a backyard concert from 2007. He absolutely crushed it for two and a half hours. It's mostly very chill stuff, but the sound is very good for the backyard setting.

Are you gay?

Members don't see this ad :)

One of the best things about growing up in the tri-state area was access to so many great venues. Taking countless trips to the Stone Pony, Wetlands, Electric Factory, road trips to Boston and DC…it really shaped my teenage years. I wish I could have seen Bruce play tSP, but I was about 20yr too late. :laugh: The Wetlands was probably my fav. venue, not because of the sound or anything, but the vibe would always be awesome. Jam bands, ska, punk, and drum circles, spoken word…it really was a melting pot of music. I'm not sure it could happen as organically now, as everything seems so forced.

Great memories and a few laments..thanks for indulging me on my walk down memory lane.

The Wetlands!! I was there probably once a month from like 96-98. I loved that place. Haven't thought about it in so long!

I was an eco saloon intern at Wetlands in the early 90s. My friends and I were the dudes that hung out in the back office downstairs and drank all night for free thanks to James who ran the eco-saloon back then. We had some crazy fun protesting on Wall Street and all over, including hitchhiking to Washington DC and sleeping on the White House lawn to protest NAFTA.

I'll always miss Lisa, the girl with bright red hair that ran the store in the bus...

Fun years... we basically had free reign of the place thanks to James and his BF.

And of course, who could forget Vern, the old dude with the pony tail that had cancer but never died. Not sure what the real deal was with that guy, but he could talk forever....

We were mostly there for the Tuesday night Dead nights with the Zen Tricksters and drum circles. And of course, the eco-saloon letter writing....

Last edited:
Of course, when Shockra came down from Boston, that was worth attending other nights. The worst was when artists like Hootie and the Blowfish decided to make a surprise visit after their spurt of fame and took over the office... The manager at the time had no qualm with kicking us all out.

Peter Shapiro took over years later, and he seems like a cool dude. He would have kicked us out too I suppose, but he put the Dead reunion tour together, and revived the Capitol Theatre in Portchester, and dedicated an area to Jerry Garcia. So, much love to the guy! Love the Wetlands reunion show he held at the Capitol. Have lots of buddies from high school enmeshed with the Grateful Dead band members and the Dead family in different ways. So, I get it. I've been fortunate enough to benefit from that...

I'm officially starting the Christmas break and waiting for Ph.D. interview invites. I'm desperate for the break, but super anxious about invites. Time to crack open a newcastle.

Daughter's dance/gymnastics recital. So glad I already passed the EPPP because the only thing more painful than watching 5 and 6 year olds attempt to perform for an hour and a half is doing it when you feel like you SHOULD be memorizing drug side effects. She was an adorable pink snowflake-ish creature..... but a future prima ballerina she is not. And a 30 minute recital would have been a lot easier to sit through!

Alright, thread went dead. So, I'll
Embarrass myself by posting the night I got the mic this last year at MSG:

To be fair, I was at a few PJ shows before this one and blew out my voice...

Like everyone else in their 30s, I am hanging out with some surgeons in their 60s all weekend. No running until I get well.

Like everyone else in their 30s, I am hanging out with some surgeons in their 60s all weekend. No running until I get well.

Better than hanging out with a bunch of rowdy tweens coaching church league basketball.

9 appointments booked solid with no lunch today after a week of being on call with a total of about 60 patient hours and then I'm leaving right after work headed to whitefish mt for a serious weekend of skiing! Don't worry guys, I don't work that hard every week, and I do get paid for every billable hour so it was actually a great, although exhausting week. By tomorrow night I'll be relaxing in the hotel suite soaking my sore muscles in the jetted tub after a great day of physical exhaustion. Just what the doctor ordered.

Drank too much bubble tea and now vegging out with a tummy ache. Upside is having an excuse to troll little kids in online Mario kart all evening (I wholly embrace that Im a terrible person).

Binge watching all the Jane Austen movies and mini-series before beginning Spring semester next week.

Capacity assessment, endurance training for climbing, probably a run, end the night with video games and scotch, weekend is wide open, although I may meet up with a buddy for some grappling/jiu jitsu work.
Solid wkend.
--

I'm trying to squeeze in a haircut tonight. I hit it hard last night at the gym, so I'm taking the rest of the night off. Tomorrow is brunch, gym, squash, nap...and then a black tie event. Red meat & scotch. Sunday I may golf, depending on the weather. Massage to follow...or just massage.

Solid wkend.
--

I'm trying to squeeze in a haircut tonight. I hit it hard last night at the gym, so I'm taking the rest of the night off. Tomorrow is brunch, gym, squash, nap...and then a black tie event. Red meat & scotch. Sunday I may golf, depending on the weather. Massage to follow...or just massage.

Stuff'll kill you, man.

Stuff'll kill you, man.
Porterhouse-Steak-Medium-Rare.jpeg

Not my steak, but I approve.

I eat more red meat than I should. Probably as a way to passively assert my dominance in the food chain. I'll switch it up one of these days. Eventually. I love fish and poultry, I just haven't bought them much recently. Although to be fair, I do pass the steak first in the grocery store.

I'm going to try making beef on weck this weekend (to eat while hopefully watching the Pats beat the Steelers). Had it while consulting in Oleander and Buffalo a few years ago, but have never encountered it anywhere other than Western NY. Soooo good.