Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I said ANY overseas location [period]. Then, added the separate thought about Canada.

C'mon...I may be fun-loving and free, but not ditzy. Geezzz...well, take that back, since this election, I am no longer fun loving, and do not feel free anymore. :wtf:

Any of you licensed folks, want to take me on as a client? I think I need to engage on the consumer side of MH services right about now.

Yoohoo, @Therapist4Chnge, should I start a Disappointed Voter thread?
I knew what you meant, just my weak sense of humor trying to lighten the mood. :D That's just my own coping mechanism from childhood. My own mother has still not really recovered from either George McGovern or Jimmy Carters defeats despite about 20 years of therapy. Since she refers to one of these therapist who is a social worker as a psychologist, she gets no sympathy from me! Although to be honest, I did ask my wife not to text my mom anything about the election results at least until she comes out of the bunker. :bag:

Reactions: 1 user
CheetahGirl is still partially-oriented, as this is Wednesday morning.

We're planning on starting a VA CBOC in Australia. Anyone want to join in?

Australia is my backup plan, so yes! They seem to be all about classic Simpsons and I love Baz Luhrman. I know, those are great reasons for moving to a new country.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it is my Friday (tomorrow is a federal holiday) so this thread can go on today.

Thank you for permission, @WisNeuro.

My spirits are going to be lifted to the Heavens tomorrow night!

I'm going to see Maynard James Keenan (Tool, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, Caduceus) discuss his biography, A Perfect Union Of Contrary Things. So freaking happy, I may just rage against the machine. :horns:

tumblr_m4t8a8rkWF1rxph1no1_400[1].gif

As far as our new president-elect, oh...never mind. +pity+Let's just say, I've been listening to Nine Inch Nails' Downward Spiral album, and it's been surprisingly therapeutic. :)

#StillNasty #ImWithHer and now #ImWithUs

Last edited:
Maynard is a really interesting dude.

Super jealous.

--

I'm working in the morning (just paperwork), then I'm free. Maybe some Bed, Bath & Beyond, IKEA…I don't know…there is just so much to do. :laugh: OR...I'll hit the gym, take a nap, and then decide. Saturday is squash, gym, brunch….nap. Sunday…pretty much the same.

Maynard is a really interesting dude.

It's a national tour...don't know what it entails yet, but yes, his lyrics are always just the type of intense comfort I need at times. I'll let you know how it goes (but no spoilers in case you find him in a city near you).

I have this great story, after September 11, 2001, I saw a Tool show at Madison Square Garden about 3 weeks later. Maynard was playing the guitar, and I was dancing (in my row to the left of the stage) and waving an American Flag...in this crowd of thousands, Maynard looked in my direction and saw me waving the flag. He then start screwing with his tunes and extending the prelude, such that I couldn't recognize the tunes to dance to anymore. So I put the flag down, and he looked in my direction and gestured to put it [the flag] back up...so I did (thinking 'You talkin' to me?!?') and he smiled in my general direction when I did that, and they played on (Crawl Away from Undertow). Everyone around me was like, "You're communicating with him!" And my husband, clearly validating, was like "Yes, you are!" Nice, right? That tiny moment lasted about 5-minutes...really special.

At the end of that show, the four members of Tool gathered around each other, hugged, and said "Let us use our energy for good, not harm." And they released doves into Madison Square Garden. After being deeply saddened by watching the Twin Towers attacked and then fall from my living room window, and being so wounded from all of what was happening in NYC (and elsewhere). That was a powerful message and deeply appreciated. I love Tool. I couldn't be a bigger Maynard groupie. Still have to hit his vineyard though. :cool:

I was tempted to go pheasant hunting on Monday (never been!), but it's too short notice. I'd need to get coverage, etc. I'm not much for deer or large game, but I have no qualms about shooting birds.

Members don't see this ad :)
After a week off, I shall continue my debauchery. I'll send some emails, go out tonight with an attorney friend. Saturday is reserved for my usual run, and another 2nd wedding.

One thing that they don't tell you: 2nd weddings are like 20% as fun as first weddings. Sometimes you see exes who have gotten fat, so that's fun.

Sunday: opera.

What kind of climbing do you do? I miss any getting outside. I hit the gyms around here some but those aren't very good and I have a hard enough time getting excited about gym climbing (I was spoiled with 5 minute drives to great climbs for far far too long)

I'm planning to bottle the homebrew some friends and I cooked up a couple of weeks ago. With the lady gone, it might be a good time to start the next batch. I've been eager to do a porter again for a while.

Just sport climbing. We're in the wet and cold season, so it's mostly just indoor for the next several months. Gym climbs can get a little stale, but we try to keep it fresh between top roping, bouldering, and lead. Plus, we try to make conditioning games out of things (e.g., climb a route 20 times in an hour).

I need to get back into brewing, haven't mixed a batch in about 9 months. I made a Vanilla Bourbon Pecan Porter about a year and a half ago that was excellent.

It's like coffee….there is black coffee and….*crickets*

--

I toyed with the idea of road-tripping with some friends to a sports-ball game happening this weekend, but I decided to just stay local and relax.

sports ball is an advanced psychological technique which creates an opportunity for catharsis via expression of aggression (the only safe male emotion) at strangers who are likely decent people in a time limited fashion. It is also usefully structured to occupy a great majority of your leisure time so you don't have to consider how you engage in your life. Afterwards it provides an intellectually limited conversation piece for strangers to discuss.

Didn't Australia just deny the right to marry?

Not exactly. Our Senate recently voted against an extremely costly and divisive Plebiscite that our current Government wanted to hold regarding the issue of same sex marriage. Marriage equality groups here had been fighting to have the Plebiscite quashed since it was first suggested, we want the Government to just get on with it and vote same sex marriage into law. The current focus is on pushing the Government to hold a free vote in Parliament, something it should have done in the first place instead of faffing about with a Plebiscite.

"Pickle ball"...:laugh:

Sports-ball can include a number of sports. The particular sport I was considering traveling to watch was Pointy Ball. Evidently it's a pretty big deal here.

Aussie Rules Pointy Ball is pretty awesome, not that I'm biased or anything. :shifty:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Currently wading through changes to OUA undergrad course in Psychology in prep for admission next year. I think my head is about to explode.

About a billion people coming over for Thanksgiving.

The space behind your kitchen refrigerator and oven is disgusting! Check that ****.

Last edited:
Friday for me, taking a day off for turkey day prep, 95% of it coming from small farms within 25 miles from our home. 2 heritage turkeys. Having 8 adults and 10 kids over. Going to buy some small rakes so the kids can rake my leaves for me and stay outside as long as possible. Bacon-bourbon jam to appease the adults.

I need some new books, although I really need to catch up on my backlog of articles. I typically like "classics;" on Moby Dick right now (which I've somehow never read).

Will probably just end up playing video games and hanging out with friends, though. Sigh.

Had a great night with the guys (steaks + Blue Label), which was needed because I knew this would be a long day. A ton of paperwork/report writing and responding to a few lawyers/inquiries. Nothing too crazy this weekend, probably hit the gym, work half a day, and watch some college football.

Tonight, going on a hot date with my spouse. Saturday, there's a surprise birthday party with the ladies (shhhhhh!), and will follow syzergy on Sunday...naps on naps on naps...while trying to nap. I have so much to read...so I will most likely nap on top of my books and articles, and hope for osmosis (this never worked in grad school...why would that work now, right?)

I should really throw in a good long run in Central Park somewhere into the weekend mix, so will aim for that as well.

Oh, and will stand guard on SDN for gender bashing users. ;)

I spent Friday seeing patients and studying for the EPPP when I wasn't actually face to face with a patient (or writing notes).
One day, I will take this test, and pass it, and then WHAT will I do with my time? I'll probably open EPPP prep books and just sit there, blankly. Pavlovian version of grad school.
(I have some support for this statement. The night after I defended my dissertation, I woke up at 4 AM in a panic because there was a change I wanted to make to my PowerPoint. Got all the way downstairs to my study before I remembered......I defended it yesterday. :oops: )

Just football? No Sportsball this weekend?
:laugh:

I may watch o jogo bonito ("the beautiful game") on Saturday morning…it just depends how early I want to get up before I hit the gym. PointyBall on Sunday, even though I'm out of both of my fantasy league's playoff rounds. Both of my FF teams were ravaged by injuries.

Tonight, date night with the Spouse. Going to an incredible party on Saturday night (YUGE birthday event for two people who work in music, arts & events - they're throwing a circus!)...then will spend the rest of the weekend cleaning up the Christmas mess, excuse me,...decorations, that my husband and kids have strewn all over the house each night this week (we have the most festive house on the block, that's for sure).

And I will continue to stress about all the reading I haven't done yet.

Actually got home on time/early for once. Picked up a new watch online as a Christmas gift for myself and now a but of paper work and some billing before dinner with the wife. Then a fun-filled weekend of electrical work and putting in some new baseboards with my father-in-law...my house remodel really needs to end.

Politely leaning on a supervisor to submit those last couple of letters of rec that I need to complete my applications to programs.

Then, turning my full attention to the fantasy playoffs. :)

It's a national tour...don't know what it entails yet, but yes, his lyrics are always just the type of intense comfort I need at times. I'll let you know how it goes (but no spoilers in case you find him in a city near you).

I have this great story, after September 11, 2001, I saw a Tool show at Madison Square Garden about 3 weeks later. Maynard was playing the guitar, and I was dancing (in my row to the left of the stage) and waving an American Flag...in this crowd of thousands, Maynard looked in my direction and saw me waving the flag. He then start screwing with his tunes and extending the prelude, such that I couldn't recognize the tunes to dance to anymore. So I put the flag down, and he looked in my direction and gestured to put it [the flag] back up...so I did (thinking 'You talkin' to me?!?') and he smiled in my general direction when I did that, and they played on (Crawl Away from Undertow). Everyone around me was like, "You're communicating with him!" And my husband, clearly validating, was like "Yes, you are!" Nice, right? That tiny moment lasted about 5-minutes...really special.

At the end of that show, the four members of Tool gathered around each other, hugged, and said "Let us use our energy for good, not harm." And they released doves into Madison Square Garden. After being deeply saddened by watching the Twin Towers attacked and then fall from my living room window, and being so wounded from all of what was happening in NYC (and elsewhere). That was a powerful message and deeply appreciated. I love Tool. I couldn't be a bigger Maynard groupie. Still have to hit his vineyard though. :cool:

I'll have to send a video of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam throwing me the mic at MSG this last year. I got to sing part of Even Flow with a guy from Brazil. Won the tickets thorough the PJ club lottery, and had to wait outside the venue to get 2nd from the rail since 10:00am. Fortunately, I was also on the floor the night before, and waited a similar amount of time, so I knew the Eddie zone where he was throwing out the mic.

Reactions: 2 users