Freshman Year Pre-Med

Closs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just had a few questions about being a new pre-Med student and majoring in biology.

I start college within the next week and essentially the only thing I am worried about is academics. I participated in biology camp this summer at my college in which many bio and Chem professors took the liberty to scare every student nearly to death. Ive been researching study tactics and I'm prepared to work hard. I finished hs with a 3.9, had a very high ACT score, and I am no stranger to hard work--I had to teach myself calculus this past year. I am very determined to study hard and focus on school along with taking the initiative if I am confused.

Essentially, my question is how hard did you find it and with the right amount of hard work can A's be achieved? I also would love tips on surviving pre-Med if you have them

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!

You'll be fine, it's not the college is necessarily harder, it's just that the classes are more time consuming. Imagine your most time intensive class from high school, and call it the new normal.

Intro level classes--bio, chem, calc--are for people new to the subject. You should be able to keep the pace if you took a camp, at least some of it will be review.

Tips
1. GO TO CLASS. In college, you don't have to. Do it anyways
2. GO TO OFFICE HOURS. Whether you need to or not. At least one teacher a week, prioritize classes you are struggling in. Get those connections for letters of rec!
3. Pretend all long term projects are due a week before they're actually due.
4. Talk to older students, especially older premeds. Ask what classes to take. Ask what clubs to join. Ask what teachers let a lot of students research with them.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to SDN!

You'll be fine, it's not the college is necessarily harder, it's just that the classes are more time consuming. Imagine your most time intensive class from high school, and call it the new normal.

Intro level classes--bio, chem, calc--are for people new to the subject. You should be able to keep the pace if you took a camp, at least some of it will be review.

Tips
1. GO TO CLASS. In college, you don't have to. Do it anyways
2. GO TO OFFICE HOURS. Whether you need to or not. At least one teacher a week, prioritize classes you are struggling in. Get those connections for letters of rec!
3. Pretend all long term projects are due a week before they're actually due.
4. Talk to older students, especially older premeds. Ask what classes to take. Ask what clubs to join. Ask what teachers let a lot of students research with them.

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement! It really means a lot to me and I will absolutely make these tips my new norm