Free med school in 6 year programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Der Woude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any programs had free med school? I heard mayo and louisville do (can anyone confirm?).

I also heard Baylor and Parkland are as close to free as you could get since tuition is so low in Texas.

I was just curious if there were any others. An education is expensive these days and I know cooler procedures are done more frequently in academics where you get paid less, so limiting early debt would be a good thing.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, Louisville no longer has "free" tuition, but it is subsidized (about 20-30k total). At Parkland, we get automatic in-state tuition to UTSW, and it is about $19-20k/year (prior to any reimbursement). I am not sure how Baylor does in vs out of state.

I have heard that Oregon has a grant that helps residents pay medical school tuition, but I'm not positive.

edit: Parkland gives ~5k/year back in tuition

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From what I remember, Louisville no longer has "free" tuition, but it is subsidized (about 20-30k total?). At Parkland, we get automatic in-state tuition to UTSW, and it is about $19-20k/year (prior to any subsidy/reimbursement). I am not sure how Baylor does in vs out of state.

I have heard that Oregon has a grant that helps residents pay medical school tuition, but I'm not positive.

Schools would charge out of state tuition to residents? I thought most if not all programs charged in-state tuition to OS residents. Please feel free to correct me with programs that charge OOS tuition though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oregon is free.

Baylor you get automatic in state status and pay about $17k/year but also get paid a $1100 stipend during med school too so you can use the money for tuition or for ballin hard like a G.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe NYU pays you during your medical school years as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am guessing you're on call during med school at NYU and penn if they pay you during med school?

They are at Penn no doubt. Idk bout nyu.

University of Illinois in Chicago OMFS has "free" medical school. You pay taxes on the tuition reimbursement which amounts to about 5k a year for two years.

Reactions: 2 users
Some programs will subsidize residents with stipends or OMFS grants which may partially or fully cover tuition. You also need to account for the number of med school years you're paying tuition (UCSF 4 yrs, Parkland 3 yrs?) and tuition at private schools tends be higher (Emory, Case, MGH).

Mayo: full stipend/grants
Michigan: 50% grant
Just read that mayo is paid 30k a year for stipends during the med school years. Med school costs about 80k annual there though. Do they apply for scholarships to cover the rest?

Be not the man who seeks free tuition, but rather the man who overcomes the sea of debt.