Free Computer for HPSP students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matty675

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a PSA:

HPSP students are allowed $500/ yr to rent a computer. There are two companies that are actively renting to HPSP students: Tiberius computers and military pc rentals. I rented a MacBook Air from Tiberius, but they will basically purchase you a computer of your choice of up to ~$1000. You then pay an annual fee of $500 and then submit a reimbursement request to your respective branch. I'm Navy HPSP and probably won't be able to submit a reimbursement request until October 1, so I payed the first rental fee using PayPal credit, which is interest free for the first 6 months. So that means no out out of pocket costs, and as soon as I get my reimbursement, I will submit payment to PayPal- interest free. Take advantage of the computer rental! It's basically a FREE computer for 4 years!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a PSA:

HPSP students are allowed $500/ yr to rent a computer. There are two companies that are actively renting to HPSP students: Tiberius computers and military pc rentals. I rented a MacBook Air from Tiberius, but they will basically purchase you a computer of your choice of up to ~$1000. You then pay an annual fee of $500 and then submit a reimbursement request to your respective branch. I'm Navy HPSP and probably won't be able to submit a reimbursement request until October 1, so I payed the first rental fee using PayPal credit, which is interest free for the first 6 months. So that means no out out of pocket costs, and as soon as I get my reimbursement, I will submit payment to PayPal- interest free. Take advantage of the computer rental! It's basically a FREE computer for 4 years!

Thank you for sharing this!

Can you take PC tablets like a Surface Pro out? or is this strictly mainstream Apple, HP, etc.

Last edited:
The companies get reimbursed 2k over 4 years by providing you with a 1k laptop that they end up keeping...
I am just rambling here, but that's pretty...argh. HPSP recipient should just be given a one-time 1k allowance and just call it a day. But can't do it because of security reasons or something. Doesnt mean they should allow companies to overcharge them on laptop rental fees -.-

edit: tablets are not qualified for reimbursement

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The companies get reimbursed 2k over 4 years by providing you with a 1k laptop that they end up keeping...
I am just rambling here, but that's pretty...argh. HPSP recipient should just be given a one-time 1k allowance and just call it a day. But can't do it because of security reasons or something. Doesnt mean they should allow companies to overcharge them on laptop rental fees -.-

edit: tablets are not qualified for reimbursement
^Yep, you are correct- the government can't purchase it. See the reason below....NavyFP posted it on a milmed thread a few years ago.

Agree that it is not a great use of government funds, but the problem has (and always will be) been the laws governing hardware purchase. If the government buys the computer, it is required to be inventoried, tagged and maintained by a govt IT entity and used only for "official" purposes. If you were to do any personal work or load any non-official programs, that would violate the purchasing laws and some admin twit would get upset. The lease is the only way to get around that. And remember, it can't be a rent to own.

PS- According to this website, Navy will not reimburse for tablets, but Army will. See this link for info on the Surface Pro and their renting policies: http://www.militarypcrentals.com/collections/microsoft-tablets

Last edited:
If we were given an allowance to buy a computer, then we would have to have all of the DoD security software installed on the computers, which sounds terrible to me.

Obviously, in the long run the military will end up paying $2000 for a $1000 laptop. But what is your net cost? Absolutely nothing. A free MacBook Air seemed like a pretty good deal to me ;)

I also saw on the military pc rentals site that the Navy will not reimburse for tablets. However, I have looked in my Navy HPSP handbook and see no such statement. I'm not sure where they are getting that from.

Lastly, in 4 years the computer will be so outdated that you probably won't want it anyway!

I know I know. I am just rambling on. It's a good deal for HPSP students no doubt. But I just think the rental companies are making off like pirates is all lol

are you able to exchange the computer for a newer or different model each year? or are you stuck with the one you get when school starts?

are you able to exchange the computer for a newer or different model each year? or are you stuck with the one you get when school starts?

You have the same computer for the entire time. I am going to give this a try as I really have nothing to lose since the military is paying anyways. I have my 2011 Macbook Air that still runs like new as a backup. Just a note though both companies listed above are operated by the same people so I'm pretty sure this thread is an advertisement for their company, which is fine with me since we wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I paid them on saturday, I will update once I receive the computer.

Lol this is not an advertisement. Just wanted everyone to be able to take advantage of a free laptop like I did. I have talked to both companies and they are not run by the same people.

Yeah I may have mispoke...my email for some reason was showing both of their emails like they were copied to each other. But I ended up going with Tiberius. Kristi got me a refurbed 13" pro retina and I'm gonna try to pay the $183 for apple 3 year warranty so it will last me my time in school. Definitely not a bad way to go since it is of no cost to us.

That's awesome! I went with the Air, and am thinking about going for the Apple Care Plan as well.

Has anyone rented out a tablet? I am AF and an iPad would be really convenient for clinic...

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend just rented from www.laptopsformilitarydocs.com and I personally think it looks way more legit than the other two sites listed above. They are supposedly a newer company but they look like they are doing things right and offer more options than the other sites combined.. and he said they even threw in a free laptop cover..

Last edited:
Is the reimbursement process the same as book reimbursement? I only ask because I've had massive issues trying to get reimbursed for other allowances (ex: flights to/from BOLC).

I'm air force and I had an easy time getting reimbursed. I filled out the same sheet as I did for books and I got the reimbursement just as quickly...

I also was reimbursed very quickly for it. Seems like my friends in the Army always have some kind of trouble when getting reimbursements.

Alright - I'll call them before I try anything and OK it ahead of time. Will post back here if I have any trouble.

Alright - I'll call them before I try anything and OK it ahead of time. Will post back here if I have any trouble.

Just remember they will only reimburse you for the years you are in school. If you are class of 2018 then you only have 2.5 years left. The computer rental places want a 4 year lease but will let you do a 3 year (I did it that way) but the Army may not reimburse you that last year. I would call them and see if they think you can get reimbursed for all 3 years that your rental contract will be for so you are not stuck paying $500 for the last year.

I was reimbursed quickly through the Army

Just remember they will only reimburse you for the years you are in school. If you are class of 2018 then you only have 2.5 years left. The computer rental places want a 4 year lease but will let you do a 3 year (I did it that way) but the Army may not reimburse you that last year. I would call them and see if they think you can get reimbursed for all 3 years that your rental contract will be for so you are not stuck paying $500 for the last year.
yeah but if thats the case won't they still reimburse you for that half year? They don't just not pay for that last year altogether right?... I talked to the Air Force about the same thing and they said even if I was half way through my first year or whatever, I could still sign a full year contract and it wouldn't be a big deal to them, that they would still cover it for the whole year.

yeah but if thats the case won't they still reimburse you for that half year? They don't just not pay for that last year altogether right?... I talked to the Air Force about the same thing and they said even if I was half way through my first year or whatever, I could still sign a full year contract and it wouldn't be a big deal to them, that they would still cover it for the whole year.

Yeah most likely they would pay the full $500 anyways. As long as you show that you paid $500 i don't see the Air Force trying to pro rate you for half a year.

Ok, sorry for the delay, just talked to my HPSP rep on the phone, ordered the laptop, and was audited/approved. To clarify for anyone in the Army that is curious:

- The allowance, stated as $500/year, is in the the Policy Handbook on MODS, Chapter 7, Section 7-1h
- You do not need a school requirement for the laptop rental to be reimbursed (as opposed to loupes, other supplies)
- You submit the invoice and rental contract to the CDW form (Cost Data Worksheet) on MODS (you get these upon ordering the computer)
- You should submit the CDW at the same time as your books/other reimbursements, because there is a 30 day wait period between submission times
- Some companies have a minimum 3 year rental; you can do the 3 year rental part way through your second year - doesn't have to be a full 3 years

Most of you probably already know this info. Hopefully helps out those who want all the details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also, look into Cambridge Computers(www.cambridgecomputers.net). Great customer service and they were able to fill a custom order, I just received an upgraded Surface Pro 4!

How does reimbursement work if we haven't started school yet? I've read that purchases made prior to our programs official start date wont be reimbursed, does that also apply to laptop rentals?

How does reimbursement work if we haven't started school yet? I've read that purchases made prior to our programs official start date wont be reimbursed, does that also apply to laptop rentals?
I know with Air Force we had a 60 day grace period but my classmates who are on Army HPSP don't seem to have a grace period so they technically had to wait til school starts..

I know with Air Force we had a 60 day grace period but my classmates who are on Army HPSP don't seem to have a grace period so they technically had to wait til school starts..

Hmm okay. I was reading the policy handbook and it looks like the Army might have a 45 day grace period but I would hate for it to back fire on me somehow >.<;

Cambridge Computers worked well for me. I didn't find out about them until the end of my first year so I did a 3 year lease for a MacBook Air - I bet you could get a Pro or the new MacBook with a 4 year lease. They have a well written contract that the Army reviewed and said met all their requirements (if you go with another company make sure to read their contract and the HPSP handbook thoroughly so you don't get stuck in a bad lease for a few years). They have great customer service and are very flexible. Most HPSP students miss out on this reimbursement which is a shame since it's such s great benefit.

Yeah i think the Navy is within 60 days of school starting also (I didn't know this at the time and didn't get my background check reimbursed). It should be in the handbook of whichever branch you are joining, along with a lot of other good useful information. Definitely worth taking the time and reading through most of it.

Has anyone else tried out one of the companies above?

It looks like the four major players are:
  • Tiberius
  • Military PC Rentals
  • Laptops for Military Docs
  • Cambridge Computers

Cambridge Computers.

I've had a really good experience with them. Before you sign any contract, look over the requirements your branch has for computer rentals. Army requires certain terms, mainly that there is no lease-to-own clause and that the computer will go back to the company after school. It also must be structured taking academic year dates in mind because we have up to $500 per academic year. Finally, the company cannot be set up specifically to exploit this $500/yr allowance and must be open to the general public (can't be just HPSP).

Cambridge Computers met all these requirements and I never had any problem getting the Army to reimburse for the lease payments. I just submitted the lease contract paperwork and PayPal receipt. A Navy buddy also used them any didn't have any problem getting reimbursement. Its best to start a contract when your a first year to get the better computers, but I got a MacBook Air with a 3 year contract and was happy with that.

I used https://www.laptopsformilitarydocs.com/ for Navy HPSP
They had a wider selection of computers and it came with a gift: laptop case or stylus. Shipping was fast and I didn't have an issue with reimbursement, although it took about a month to receive the reimbursement. Definitely better than having to buy a new computer for school because in 4 years you will most likely need a new one anyway

I ended up going with laptopsformilitarydocs, I'm doing 4 year laptop rental. I have only had the laptop for 3 months but so far it has been working out great.

I was able to rent a laptop that is slightly more expansive (and I believe better in quality/specs) than the laptops that were listed on their website by talking with customer service.

Last edited:
That handbook changes and is updated occasionally. If you're currently Army HPSP you should just log into MODS and read the most recent rules.