Freaking out about Step 1..Please Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWES1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have step in less than a week, and just don't know where I stand or what to expect.

My NBME scores have ranged from a 215 to a 238
UWSA2 I got a 248

Is it possible for me to get a 250?

I don't know what to do, in the last couple of days.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough to say in your situation. There have been people who were able to pull a score above their NMBEs. However, it is more practical to say it will be around your NBME average. I think a 240 is in the range of possibility, but I think 250 with that amount of time might be too difficult.

Anything is possible when it comes to Step 1. I've seen people hit their target/avg scores, hit below and hit about. It's hard to predict, really, but it seems that from your scores, you'll be fine. From my experience, I wouldn't focus too much on trying to get a certain high score, but it'll bring you down during and after the exam and make you doubt yourself...or give yourself unnecessary high self esteem if the exam seems to be easier than you thought. So yes, I do believe it's possible, but I scored more than 10-15pts higher than my avg score/s...and I know someone who was scoring in 230-40s near then end and ended up with a score 2 pts lower than mine. It is what it is. Just remember, step 1 doesn't define you. It's important, but if you do your best, everything will work itself out. It's not the end of the world. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G Play using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anything is possible when it comes to Step 1. I've seen people hit their target/avg scores, hit below and hit about. It's hard to predict, really, but it seems that from your scores, you'll be fine. From my experience, I wouldn't focus too much on trying to get a certain high score, but it'll bring you down during and after the exam and make you doubt yourself...or give yourself unnecessary high self esteem if the exam seems to be easier than you thought. So yes, I do believe it's possible, but I scored more than 10-15pts higher than my avg score/s...and I know someone who was scoring in 230-40s near then end and ended up with a score 2 pts lower than mine. It is what it is. Just remember, step 1 doesn't define you. It's important, but if you do your best, everything will work itself out. It's not the end of the world. Good luck!

Fyi my score was a 225, and my highest was a 210ish I think , if that makes you feel better...)

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. I was just wondering cause my most recent exam was UWSA 2, and like I said I got a 248, so was wondering if it was giving me false hope. Thanks

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. I was just wondering cause my most recent exam was UWSA 2, and like I said I got a 248, so was wondering if it was giving me false hope. Thanks

There is no way to know, but take the extra confidence with you into exam day. When you're freaking out while you wait for the score, think back to that high score to feel better :)

Good luck

I tink a reasonable expectation would be in the 230s.

I tink a reasonable expectation would be in the 230s.

Seconded. Just being honest, but I think Uworld Assessments generally are on the high side (in my experience at the very least - I scored in the mid and upper 260s on both of them, ~15 points higher than my actual score).

My advice is don't worry about the score that's in the realm of possibilities unless you're debating changing your test date. Just study as hard as possible, take the test, and see what happens.

Seconded. Just being honest, but I think Uworld Assessments generally are on the high side (in my experience at the very least - I scored in the mid and upper 260s on both of them, ~15 points higher than my actual score).

My advice is don't worry about the score that's in the realm of possibilities unless you're debating changing your test date. Just study as hard as possible, take the test, and see what happens.

They did change the scale though. A upper 260 would honestly be 90-95% correct. Which I don't think is very easy to get. Hell I don't think it's very easy to break a 240 on UWSA2.

They did change the scale though. A upper 260 would honestly be 90-95% correct. Which I don't think is very easy to get. Hell I don't think it's very easy to break a 240 on UWSA2.

I took it about 1 year ago, so if it's changed since then I agree my comment definitely carries less weight. I did average >90% (can't remember exactly what though) on my uworld assessments, with NBMEs falling much closer to actual step of in the 250s, but given that NBMEs and step were still significantly lower than the uworld I find it tough to believe OP is gonna do better on step (based on my admitted n of 1 though others I spoke with who have taken step in the past couple years felt the same way).

Last edited:
I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I scored a 240 on nbme 17 and 18, then scored a 218 on nbme 19. My overall average was 233. I took the real test and thought I failed. Ended up with a 242. I wouldn't expect to make anything in the 250's.

So I just took, the free 120, and got a 87%, is that in any way predictive?

That's actually pretty good. I think I was in the high 70's on mine. The real test was much tougher than the free 120, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)

You shouldn't freak out because you might not hit 250. The people who should freak are those at risk for failing. You're clearly well prepared at this point so try your best on test day.

Reactions: 1 users
So I have step in less than a week, and just don't know where I stand or what to expect.

UWSA2 I got a 248

It's been done before man. My scores for NBMEs were in the 220s throughout all NBMEs except 249 on UWSA and scored 3 higher than even that on the real thing. It's been done!

Last edited:
Well, my UWSA2 was 214 3-4 days before the test and I scored a few points higher on the actual exam... There is hope!

UWSA2 I got a 248

It's possible. Realize, though, that not getting above a 250 is not the end of the world. There are many fantastic physicians who did not score above a 250, and they are still practicing today, many of them in their dream jobs.

So just do your best.

You may want to try individual tutoring. I used ******* and seen a 20 point increase in my score over the last 4 weeks. They're the cheapest 1-on-1 service but use the same quality tutors as their competitors.

Please don't spam the board with your advertisements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your input, I guess I will just have to wait and see.

It's been done before man. My scores for NBMEs were in the 220s throughout all NBMEs except 249 on UWSA and scored 3 higher than even that on the real thing. It's been done!
Did you feel like you missed a lot post exam, like I already know I missed like 12 really easy questions, that I really shouldn't have missed.

Wow this sounds exactly like my practice scores. The exact same score on my UWSA2 as well. I can only dream I turn out like that.

Sorry to bump this old thread. I took my exam last week. I think I will get about 50 questions wrong out of 280. That is about 82%. Can anyone estimate what score this shold fetch me?

Did you feel like you missed a lot post exam, like I already know I missed like 12 really easy questions, that I really shouldn't have missed.
Have you seen your score? How was it? I feel like I missed about 50 in all. What range estimate do u place me in?

Sorry to bump this old thread. I took my exam last week. I think I will get about 50 questions wrong out of 280. That is about 82%. Can anyone estimate what score this shold fetch me?

Lol. I can see that the rumours I heard about this site are largely true. Thanks for your responses though.