Freaking out a little.. may be a lot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMLE0423

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took Day 1 yesterday and I got murdered on biostats and drug ads. I had prepared for it pretty well but I just ran out of time. I didn't get to a SINGLE drug ad (and I had at least 12q dealing with drug ads). I just ran out of time and ended up marking random answers without even reading anything.

Has this happened to anyone else and still passed? Like worse case scenario and a I didn't get a single drug ad question correct and only half of biostats correct and did ok on the rest of the questions... am I still in good shape to at least pass?

Members don't see this ad.

What was your prep?

I did UW biostats review (the extra one) and UW and went back and did all the incorrect UW biostats. Also, historically I've been decent at it but since step 3 has so much, I decided to do something extra

I have an overall 65% on UW with 98% completed first time. So, I think i was in good shape for the non-biostats questions... obv I remember a LOT that i missed, but that was true for my step 1 and 2 as well. I am just worried bc I never actually just marked answers without reading anything on any of the previous steps and I had to do that on ALL drug ads and quite a few biostats, but not all.

not sure what to think at this point... trying to just look fwd and making sure Im well prepared for CCS. But definitely have periodic freak outs as I remember more and more questions.

I did UW biostats review (the extra one) and UW and went back and did all the incorrect UW biostats. Also, historically I've been decent at it but since step 3 has so much, I decided to do something extra

I have an overall 65% on UW with 98% completed first time. So, I think i was in good shape for the non-biostats questions... obv I remember a LOT that i missed, but that was true for my step 1 and 2 as well. I am just worried bc I never actually just marked answers without reading anything on any of the previous steps and I had to do that on ALL drug ads and quite a few biostats, but not all.

not sure what to think at this point... trying to just look fwd and making sure Im well prepared for CCS. But definitely have periodic freak outs as I remember more and more questions.
You'll pass, bro. Trust.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to do well on CCS and I believe you will be okay.

Hey thank you. I've read some of your previous posts and was wondering if you ended up doing crush CCS. I obv don't have time for it but I was wondering if UW CCS will be enough or are there a few pointers that I should really know from other resources. Test is tomorrow. I feel ok with CCS.

Hey thank you. I've read some of your previous posts and was wondering if you ended up doing crush CCS. I obv don't have time for it but I was wondering if UW CCS will be enough or are there a few pointers that I should really know from other resources. Test is tomorrow. I feel ok with CCS.
At this point just take it. For most uw should be enough. I did use crush and I would recommend it.

Keep at it. IF you feel your knowledge is weak in certain areas read up on them. Make sure to know biostats

Thanks doc. Exam is in about 5 weeks. Have to cover 85% of MTB3. I'm using the UW biostats package, but doesn't really seem all that great. How'd you find it?

Thanks doc. Exam is in about 5 weeks. Have to cover 85% of MTB3. I'm using the UW biostats package, but doesn't really seem all that great. How'd you find it?
I found it helpful just to get the basics down. Work on some of the math. I found the regular UW questions the most helpful. Close to the real deal. Most of the questions are thinking and not math. Got to be ready for the drug ads too.

So, I just took Day 1 yesterday and I got murdered on biostats and drug ads. I had prepared for it pretty well but I just ran out of time. I didn't get to a SINGLE drug ad (and I had at least 12q dealing with drug ads). I just ran out of time and ended up marking random answers without even reading anything.

Has this happened to anyone else and still passed? Like worse case scenario and a I didn't get a single drug ad question correct and only half of biostats correct and did ok on the rest of the questions... am I still in good shape to at least pass?

Hey man I just took it. Day 1 was extremely hard. I was scoring 70 % on Uworld first pass and even then I felt like I was literally guessing on 70 % of the questions. I was constantly running out of time on every single block. I didn't feel like Uworld was that helpful for day one. There was so much minute detail that was on the actual exam that I felt like Uworld didn't cover. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dy 2 had much more clinically-oriented blocks for me. Unsurprisingly, I did best on the age range medical PGY-1s deal with most - middle-aged (but not geriatric) patients.

Clinical instinct is important for this test.

Hey man I just took it. Day 1 was extremely hard. I was scoring 70 % on Uworld first pass and even then I felt like I was literally guessing on 70 % of the questions. I was constantly running out of time on every single block. I didn't feel like Uworld was that helpful for day one. There was so much minute detail that was on the actual exam that I felt like Uworld didn't cover. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yea, both days went ****ty for me. Day one due to above mentioned reasons and day 2 because I screwed up 5/13 CCS cases.. like completely botched them. I keep telling myself that I can't drop >55points from my step 2. Nothing I can do now... it just sucks to have to wait for the results.

Guys,

On Candidate website FSMB, "Print Permit" option disappeared but the main FSMB site still has "Approved" status and Eligibility Period...

What does this mean??

Guys,

On Candidate website FSMB, "Print Permit" option disappeared but the main FSMB site still has "Approved" status and Eligibility Period...

What does this mean??

Hey from what i understand, thats the first thing that happens.. soon your FSMB status will state "expired"... and you should get your score this week. Best of luck

Hey from what i understand, thats the first thing that happens.. soon your FSMB status will state "expired"... and you should get your score this week. Best of luck
Thanks mate! I have been through a lot of anxiety from the last couple of weeks waiting for this damn result....When does the whole "Expired" thing comes up on the main FSMB site?

Hey... This morning the status changed to expired but this is h0w it showed on the site....

Attachments

• Capture1.png
    Capture1.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 239
Mine is showing something similar.....I'm curious if this means I've passed for sure. No link to reapply. View attachment 221805
Yeah!! Hope we make it through...My friend told me that they upload the score report on site way early like midnight...but we get the email in the morning...If you are too anxious you can check tomorrow night...

Yeah!! Hope we make it through...My friend told me that they upload the score report on site way early like midnight...but we get the email in the morning...If you are too anxious you can check tomorrow night...
Good luck you guys. From what I've read, it means that you guys all passed!

I took my test on July 10 and 13th.. so I guess i have to wait 2 more weeks.. i was hoping to get the results next week bc I'm so f*****g anxious all the time about this. We'll see..

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck you guys. From what I've read, it means that you guys all passed!

I took my test on July 10 and 13th.. so I guess i have to wait 2 more weeks.. i was hoping to get the results next week bc I'm so f*****g anxious all the time about this. We'll see..
The whole waiting thing is more anxious than the real test....

Hey does the status change early in the morning on monday? because my link has disappeared but my status still says "approved". I am supposed to get my score this week (i took the exam on july 10th and 13th). Thanks

So my status changed to expired this AM and no link to reapply. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will post again tomorrow with detailed experience and score.

So my status changed to expired this AM and no link to reapply. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will post again tomorrow with detailed experience and score.

So I'm a PGY-4 in radiology and I took step 2 in march 2013, so its been so long since I practiced medicine relevant to step 3. Anyway, I studied for ~2mo- UW (bank and CCS- all 92 cases), MTB-3, UW-biostats. Nothing else.
UW average- timed, random, 98% completed qbank- overall 66% correct
UWSA 2w into studying: 200

Took it on July 10 and 13th

Day 1: Will echo everyone else that there were soooooo many biostats questions. Dug ads were gibberish from my quick skim of them. Several easy drug mechanism questions (although they were easy only in retrospect bc I missed some on the real test due to over analyzing the questions).
experience- freaked the f*** out because I didn't read a SINGLE drug ad- just marked answers randomly. Also, had to mark about 8-10 (total) additional biostats ques randomly bc ran out of time on each block. Non-biostats questions didn't seem too bad to me but I didn't know how to I did on those because definitely made stupid mistakes on some easy questions.

Constantly had mini panic attacks between day 1 and 2 because of the above mentioned fiasco.

Day 2: questions portion seemed easy. Lots of prognosis and preventative medicine. Remainder were easy diagnosis/next step questions.
CCS- terrible!!!!! mind you, I have not directly cared for a patient in over 2 years, nor put in orders so some of the orders are not second nature to me as they would be to an IM/FM/EM/peds doc. But, I do think that UW-CCS was good practice and all you need. I just panicked and overthought some of the cases. Only 4/12 cases ended early. I botched and I mean BOTCHED 4 additional cases and the remainder were somewhere in the middle. Definitely forgot to put in key labs/treatments for some cases. There were 2 cases (10min ones) that I ran out of out time-- like i had just put in initial orders and time ran out- it was unbelievable.

After day-2, I had a come to Jesus moment and prayed and stressed out like never before over the last 4 weeks because I was CONVINCED without a doubt that I had failed and only a higher power up there could possibly change that (still think thats what actually happened...lol)!

score came out on the 4th wednesday--- the trick is legit- my status changed to expired on tuesday with no link to reapply.

sooooooo..... today is when scores came out...... drumroll please..... wait for it......... PASSED! 224- I am thrilled, although thats a 30 points drop from my step 2 score, I couldn't be happier since I really thought I had failed.

my breakdown was that I did above borderline for day 1 and questions on day 2= both were equal (though i thought i did better on day 2). CCS was mostly above borderline with some asterisks in the right half of the borderline zone.

I hope this helps. Thanks to everyone else that have posted their experience in the past because it def helped and guided me for this God awful exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats,

How do you study these prognosis questions? Are they just scattered throughout Uworld? Is there a particular source to use. Thanks and best of luck to you!
So I'm a PGY-4 in radiology and I took step 2 in march 2013, so its been so long since I practiced medicine relevant to step 3. Anyway, I studied for ~2mo- UW (bank and CCS- all 92 cases), MTB-3, UW-biostats. Nothing else.
UW average- timed, random, 98% completed qbank- overall 66% correct
UWSA 2w into studying: 200

Took it on July 10 and 13th

Day 1: Will echo everyone else that there were soooooo many biostats questions. Dug ads were gibberish from my quick skim of them. Several easy drug mechanism questions (although they were easy only in retrospect bc I missed some on the real test due to over analyzing the questions).
experience- freaked the f*** out because I didn't read a SINGLE drug ad- just marked answers randomly. Also, had to mark about 8-10 (total) additional biostats ques randomly bc ran out of time on each block. Non-biostats questions didn't seem too bad to me but I didn't know how to I did on those because definitely made stupid mistakes on some easy questions.

Constantly had mini panic attacks between day 1 and 2 because of the above mentioned fiasco.

Day 2: questions portion seemed easy. Lots of prognosis and preventative medicine. Remainder were easy diagnosis/next step questions.
CCS- terrible!!!!! mind you, I have not directly cared for a patient in over 2 years, nor put in orders so some of the orders are not second nature to me as they would be to an IM/FM/EM/peds doc. But, I do think that UW-CCS was good practice and all you need. I just panicked and overthought some of the cases. Only 4/12 cases ended early. I botched and I mean BOTCHED 4 additional cases and the remainder were somewhere in the middle. Definitely forgot to put in key labs/treatments for some cases. There were 2 cases (10min ones) that I ran out of out time-- like i had just put in initial orders and time ran out- it was unbelievable.

After day-2, I had a come to Jesus moment and prayed and stressed out like never before over the last 4 weeks because I was CONVINCED without a doubt that I had failed and only a higher power up there could possibly change that (still think thats what actually happened...lol)!

score came out on the 4th wednesday--- the trick is legit- my status changed to expired on tuesday with no link to reapply.

sooooooo..... today is when scores came out...... drumroll please..... wait for it......... PASSED! 224- I am thrilled, although thats a 30 points drop from my step 2 score, I couldn't be happier since I really thought I had failed.

my breakdown was that I did above borderline for day 1 and questions on day 2= both were equal (though i thought i did better on day 2). CCS was mostly above borderline with some asterisks in the right half of the borderline zone.

I hope this helps. Thanks to everyone else that have posted their experience in the past because it def helped and guided me for this God awful exam.

Congrats,

How do you study these prognosis questions? Are they just scattered throughout Uworld? Is there a particular source to use. Thanks and best of luck to you!

Just UW qbank-- pay attention when they tell you about prognosis. i didn't study any other source for that

Anyone else disappointed by Uworld biostats? Seems like a fair chunk of change for duplicate questions and iffy explanations. Felt dated and I recognized a good amount of the actual questions from other Qbanks. and no drug ads/studies!

I can't believe it takes so long to get scores! I took day one on Wednesday July 26 and day 2 on Wednesday August 2. So score on August 23 or August 30?

Reactions: 1 user
I took day one on Wednesday July 26 and day 2 on Wednesday August 2. So score on August 23 or August 30?

I would unfortunately bank on a full 4 weeks (Aug 30th). I have scoured the threads and asked peers and I haven't seen a single person get it back in 3 weeks :( 4 seems to be the standard

Wow that's only 3 weeks

After doing some more searching, there was an explanation for Step 1/2 score release where you count the number of Wednesday's and it's either 3 or 4 before your score release.

So, if your testing was Sat-Tuesday, you count "4" Wed until your release date (Aka, person who took July 25th gets score Aug 16th) and if Wed-Friday, count 3 Wednesdays until release (So person who took July 28th gets score Aug 16th).

If true, I'll get mine the 23rd! Mam, if you were Aug 2nd, you'd also (theoretically) get yours next Wed! Can't wait!!!

After doing some more searching, there was an explanation for Step 1/2 score release where you count the number of Wednesday's and it's either 3 or 4 before your score release.

So, if your testing was Sat-Tuesday, you count "4" Wed until your release date (Aka, person who took July 25th gets score Aug 16th) and if Wed-Friday, count 3 Wednesdays until release (So person who took July 28th gets score Aug 16th).

If true, I'll get mine the 23rd! Mam, if you were Aug 2nd, you'd also (theoretically) get yours next Wed! Can't wait!!!
So we check and see if the "print permit" link disappears on Sunday or something like that?

My permit is still there. No score for me this week

Edit to say permit disappeared this morning (Monday). No change to fsmb site. Still just says "approved".

Last edited: