FP in the real world - wanting to switch to anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

change md

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking for some feedback on finding a CA-1 spot for July 2008. Without a doubt, there will be spots coming available in the next few months, from people either washing out, switching to something else after doing a few months of their internship/transitional year, residents getting fired, etc.

Here's my story. Went to a good medical school in the USA, no blemishes on the record, passed Step 1, 2 and 3 with no problem and decent scores. Top 1/2 of my class. Matched into a family medicine residency, for all the right reasons (not b/c I couldn't do anything else - I hate that I even feel compelled to qualify that statement), where I was chief resident. Passed my FP boards, and I've been in private practice in the "real world" for 16+ months. Unfortunately, my practice just hasn't given me the personal and professional satisfaction I had hoped for. Family medicine and primary care have really changed a lot in just the 4-5 years since I graduated from medical school. So long story short, after much deliberation and thought, I would like to switch to anesthesia, and I'm hoping to get into a CA-1 spot and go from there. Obviously, I didn't fill out an ERAS application, and I'm hoping to find a spot "outside the match." I'm thinking that my best bet will be to find a program that needs to fill an upcoming CA-1 spot because a prelim person washed out, got fired, or switched to something else.

So, any feedback, advice, leads or tips would be appreciated. I'm just a normal guy from the South, wanting to make a career change with no baggage or other skeletons. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have met very few people who leave an anesthesia residency. It's far, far more common for others to join us. Here's what you need to do if you want a spot outside the match. You need to call and send a CV with cover letter to every program right now. It's interview season, and the few 2008 outside the match positions that programs have are being awarded right now. Likewise, you should have applied through ERAS in September for a 2009 CA1 spot since some places interviewing for a 2009 spot may offer you a 2008 spot.

So you're not working within the optimal time frame, but it may still be possible if you get busy Monday morning making calls and spend this weekend getting your CVs and cover letters together and sent.

Hi,

I switched from FP to anesthesia. Your best bet is to find a position outside of the match. Contact programs and find out which ones offer positions outside of the match. Also, work on obtaining more exposure to gas if you did not do a rotation in med school. Spots for CA-1 positions starting in 7/08 are probably gone. You will probably be better off aiming for 09.
It is possible to switch to anesthesia.

FP can be difficult. I feel your pain.

Good luck,

Cambie

I'm finished family medicine program in 2008, been processing for almost 7 years and planning to do anesthesia.
I was an IMG and first residency in the door that accepts you, you grab it.
I have been grateful for the opportunity to work in a rural area but if I was given a choice before, I would really liked to choose anesthesia.
I have a daughter and my wife and I have decided that we are done with possibility of adding another child. So my wife is a FP too.
Do you think I can step in CA 1 right away or redo the 1st year?
Any opinions on this would be much appreciated.